Why did my ice cream melt?

Help Support CattleToday:

I suspect you are being overly generous calling this fine person a "pillar" of your community.

ez14":85qwde6d said:
since you hadn't checked out yet you could have put the ice cream back and got a new one

Had I done that I would have lost my place in line and the line had grown about 30 foot long. Besides, it may have been thought rude leaving a training seminar.

HDRider":85qwde6d said:
I suspect you are being overly generous calling this fine person a "pillar" of your community.

I don't know, with the wad of hundreds she was waving makes you wonder if she wasn't one of those 1 percenters they talk about.

JMJ Farms":28pkkyej said:
ez14":28pkkyej said:
True Grit Farms":28pkkyej said:
Think big your be buying a house before you know if.
i know i seen a house a could put a 10% down payment on and could rent it out for the mortgage payment and have a house that cost me very little but i dont like the idea of relying on a renter to pay (i could make the payment without renting it out but my savings would grow VERY SLOW) and it didn't have much land (and i like to not go into debt)

Nothing wrong with relying on a renter. I've done well using this same approach. Most problems can be nipped in the bud by doing two things. 1) Always charge a deposit equal to the rent up front. 2) Set you monthly rent on the high end of the scale. And the othe thing I like about your situation is that you have savings to make the occasional payment if you were to have a vacancy. I can't speak 100% for your exact situation but I will tell you to sit down and pencil it out closely. Even if you don't generate cash flow, you will be building equity. I would rather put some of my money into real estate than to put all of it into a savings account. I've never lost a $ on a house or land. You seem to be pretty sharp. If it's a good buy and you use your head I think you'll be fine. If I can help you with your particular situation feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my number.

JMJ, there was a thread about this topic a few months ago. There were opinions from all positions, some very opinionated. And some of them were from folks who were totally against rental property because someone they knew told them it was a terrible situation.

Interestingly enough, one of the most outspoken comments was made by someone who still has a J-O-B...but he can tell you how not to do it....and you've already done it! Ez14 would do good to listen to you, not the na-sayers.

ez14":2kkwy5uh said:
True Grit Farms":2kkwy5uh said:
ez14":2kkwy5uh said:
since you hadn't checked out yet you could have put the ice cream back and got a new one

Well if she is like me (i get money orders from the bank not a prepaid card) she doesn't have a checking account and needed to pay the vet, feed mill, or AI tech :) im going to set up a checking account soon paying the bank $3 so i can pay the vet $75 is annoying me very much

I hate to even say this, but start working on building your credit ASAP.
but i dont want to go into debt (though i can see looking at the cost to start farming thats going to be hard)

As much as it pains me to say this TGF is correct, you need to build your credit. You don't need to go into debt to do it. Having a cell phone bill, and paying on time does the trick. Another thing I did when I turned 18 was buy all my gas on a credit card I had through the bank. Limit was something like $500. At the end of the month, I'd pay the $80 (early 2000's and I didn't drive too much then) every month when it was due. There was no interest accrued and at this point my credit is so good that I only need my wife's signature to buy things like a house.

Also, find a better bank. No one should be charging you for anything other than checks. They should never charge you for a checking account.

JMJ Farms":3emggnf8 said:
ez14":3emggnf8 said:
True Grit Farms":3emggnf8 said:
Think big your be buying a house before you know if.
i know i seen a house a could put a 10% down payment on and could rent it out for the mortgage payment and have a house that cost me very little but i dont like the idea of relying on a renter to pay (i could make the payment without renting it out but my savings would grow VERY SLOW) and it didn't have much land (and i like to not go into debt)

Nothing wrong with relying on a renter. I've done well using this same approach. Most problems can be nipped in the bud by doing two things. 1) Always charge a deposit equal to the rent up front. 2) Set you monthly rent on the high end of the scale. And the othe thing I like about your situation is that you have savings to make the occasional payment if you were to have a vacancy. I can't speak 100% for your exact situation but I will tell you to sit down and pencil it out closely. Even if you don't generate cash flow, you will be building equity. I would rather put some of my money into real estate than to put all of it into a savings account. I've never lost a $ on a house or land. You seem to be pretty sharp. If it's a good buy and you use your head I think you'll be fine. If I can help you with your particular situation feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my number.

Great advice Michael. Only thing i would add to it is to do the homework upfront- get references and actually followup with them, work history and credit checks. Some work up front will save lots of grief down the road most of the time. EZ, rentals are a great way to get started and grow wealth. At 44, I have financial freedom (mostly due to real estate and sweat equity) that many fellas my age can't imagine. Make good decisions while youre young and the rewards are immense.

ez14":16ewv020 said:

Well if she is like me (i get money orders from the bank not a prepaid card) she doesn't have a checking account and needed to pay the vet, feed mill, or AI tech :) im going to set up a checking account soon paying the bank $3 so i can pay the vet $75 is annoying me very much

If you don't mind my asking, why haven't you set up a checking account? I think I've had a bank account since I was 8 then got a checking account when I got a few years older. I don't see how you can operate without a checking account.

Jogeephus":3l81migi said:
I don't know, with the wad of hundreds she was waving makes you wonder if she wasn't one of those 1 percenters they talk about.
Or a drug dealer!

dun":qiiu20tt said:
Jogeephus":qiiu20tt said:
Or a drug dealer!

When I first figured out what she was she was doing I thought maybe it was some sort of money laundering thing or she was trying to scam the cashier some way. She said she had just put $150 on the card yesterday and had no problems but the new cashier was way over his head - as was I. I'd never seen anything like it. She was dressed nice and drove a new car so money didn't seem to be an issue. Maybe she's just wanting to slip a J. Purdey in her gun cabinet without her husband knowing.

Jogeephus":r21rs1oa said:
ez14":r21rs1oa said:

If you don't mind my asking, why haven't you set up a checking account? I think I've had a bank account since I was 8 then got a checking account when I got a few years older. I don't see how you can operate without a checking account.
i dont have a checking account because before i got my cattle i never needed to write checks but its a pain to not have a checking account since i got cattle

My grandfather refused to use anything but cash. Personally I'd like to see everyone go back to that mindset but its getting where they are forcing us to go digital which I don't like. Personally, can't see paying someone to put money on a card or to have to pay for money orders. I'm not about to do that. Seems like you'd be going backward. Don't know how I could even operate without a checkbook though.

You can now go to the Discover.com website and get your credit (FICO) score for free. Don't have to have or apply for a Discover credit card.
We just rented out a house we own, and I had prospective tenants pull their FICO score at the Discover website and send it to me, before I even had them fill out a full rental app or do a credit and background check. Saved us all some hassles (and money for the full landlord credit/background check), as several eliminated themselves from contention right off the bat, based on their abysmal FICO scores.
I don't know how he did it, but my son (college sr) has a credit card with a 30k limit and a stellar credit score. It worries me but we have always advised him to avoid debt, and (knock wood) he seems to have taken it to heart. He has worked most of the time since he was about 15-16; pays it off every month and we ask to see his statement now and again. Last time we checked, he has never paid any interest or late fees. We have told him to be very careful, that they are giving him enough rope to hang himself. As a cautionary tale, I told him Wed. about the young couple who were dying to rent our house last month. Lovely folks, but after I looked at their finances, had to take a pass. 300k in debt, mostly credit cards. Had a toddler and a newborn too. Had to gently tell them they couldn't afford it. They had decent jobs too.

Credit cards are how I built my credit score. Its pretty easy to build a good score if you have discipline like your son. Not for everyone. I bought a house from a couple who ended up having three liens on the home and the sale almost didn't go through because they owed more on the home than it was worth. From appearances you would have thought them a successful yuppie couple with their cars and fine clothes and vacations they enjoyed.

This reminds me of the boy eating a Popsicle when the class took up he stuck it in his back pocket. He was asked about what continent England was in. He had no clue. Girl behind leaned up an whispered European to help him out. He said no that is my Popsicle melting.