Ice

Help Support CattleToday:

Yikes I just saw your around Houston. I'm up by Tyler. It shows here Mondays high is 24 and Mondays low is 11. Haven't seen it that cold in decades!!!!
Update, just saw we will get between 3 to 5 inches of snow, YIKES Texas isn't equipped for that!! But bring it on!!

Yes, but just because it's not frozen does not mean that the fluid in the jug is not below the freezing point of unsalted water.
It moves around and will keep the water from freezing. Not sure how cold it works

What does it take to convince you that global warming is real !?
OBiden appointed Lurch 57 as the Weather Commisar and he is on the job.....................

@MurraysMutts, I just saw someone posted that on Facebook and was going to ask if it was accurate. Da He!!??? We're not far north of Ponca and still showing 4 for the high, -14 Mon night but only 1.5" of snow. We'll get some brutal winter days, but generally doesn't last long. This one has me worried.

Definitely not Minnesota. Highly unusual round here too @TCRanch .
Like u said, usually a couple days, then this kind of weather is over for a few weeks. I've not seen another prediction of 10 to 20 inches from another place yet, but I just got in from feeding. This makes it a bit ruff when ya ain't used to it. Been busting ice and swapping out water buckets. No electricity for a tank heater in my pen.
Ain't getting stuck tho! Ground is frozen solid!

It moves around and will keep the water from freezing. Not sure how cold it works
Well I can tell you first hand that in the 20's they freeze firmly in the ice in stock tanks. You can give them a good push downward and they will pop loose but as far at cattle or horses pushing them down easily, it isn't happening with gallon bleach bottles. I placed 3 in a 150 gal tank and 2 in a 100 gal tank, both exposed to the brisk wind and same results. They do make it a little bit easier to bust the ice up due to the holes they leave when pushed under.

How is that news?
Oh wait, Oklahoma is not in Minnesota - never mind. :) lol
Minnesotans don't think it gets below freezing here in Oklahoma, any way the ones that built the sand plant my son worked maintenance at last winter didn't. He's glad it isn't his problem this winter.

They're backing of the snow forecast, the weather forecasters are just waiting on their kickbacks from the bread, dairy and egg companies now that everything sold out.

The snow is still coming, just not as much. We will see.

It's been difficult keeping water in liquid form. I'm not really set up for it in my pen. The stock tank has had as much as 5 inches of ice. The heater just won't keep the whole tank thawed. Enough the cows can drink tho!

The saddest part of this thing is, the death loss. Several neighbors have lost many calves born this last week. They calve on pasture like mos everyone around here. I've been fortunate mine are mostly calved out. Got a few more coming probly March.

The coldest of the cold is yet to come.
We will kee on keeping on I reckon...

Ponds frozen several inches and 150 gal tanks are frozen solid top to bottom. Switched to bucket and tubs that can be drank down completely or almost so. That way they are much easier to clear of ice before refilling if that is needed at all. So far they are drinking fast enough that they are almost empty and the refill melts the small amount of ice in the first few gallons of 50F to 60F water.

Latest posts