I wonder

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch said:
Life is too short to hold grudges, never forget but forgiving is best.

Wise words gcreekrch!! Treat people the way you would like to be treated too ;-) . The ol' wheel turns...

alisonb said:
gcreekrch said:
Life is too short to hold grudges, never forget but forgiving is best.

Wise words gcreekrch!! Treat people the way you would like to be treated too ;-) . The ol' wheel turns...

It's really quite simple isn't it...turning the other cheek seems to be a REAL challenge nowadays.

gcreekrch said:
greybeard said:
gcreekrch said:
Wasn't planning on wandering off, just questioning the value of having photos posted when many times there are only a couple of comments on each thread.

Maybe I need to start asking opinions...…………..
Pictures submitted without much commentary usually don't get much commentary. Pictures of your cattle, and your part of the world have always been more than a little impressive, but most of us would probably have more to say about them if you were explaining more what it's like in your area, how you got where you are in regards to your high quality cattle etc. What you've accomplished I'm sure didn't happen over night and a heck of a lot of work had to go into it.
I'm always amazed that folks can successfully raise cattle in the climate you have and I don't think I'm alone in that thought.

What goes wrong, when you click the "add image to post" thing below the message box?

Brain goes into fight mode............

I am a far better conversationalist when asked a question than volunteering info. Careful what you wish for though, sometimes hard to shut me up.

Next time will try to post photos on my own, I still have back up.

My sweetie hasn't been happy with my answer's more than a few times. I always tell her "don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer"

Red Bull Breeder said:
The good book doesn't have any instructions on what to do after you have turned the other cheek. Some have already done that a few time.

Exodus 21:23–25
But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

True Grit Farms said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
The good book doesn't have any instructions on what to do after you have turned the other cheek. Some have already done that a few time.

Exodus 21:23–25
But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

That is old covenant Grit and does not apply, it's just a history book. That law was for the Jew only.
Law in effect today is new covenant after the resurrection. The new covenant is for all men.

Aaron said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
When I came back on here, I wondered what happened to Milkmaid.....
Me too.

Her last thread posed a question on the subject of her adopting the last name of her husband "to be". The feed back was blunt. If I interpreted her feelings correctly, she was slightly offended. She has not returned to the board since to my knowledge.

By following the subject when reading entire chapter in context...
Old testament "eye for an eye" addresses criminal law & criminal negligence even to this day.

A modern example: If a man has a dog that attacks a person said man is responsible for the
medical bills and lost wages of the person attacked. The dog owner now knows his dog is vicious.
If the owner fails to restrain a dog known to be vicious and it kills a child, through his negligence
he is criminally responsible of causing the death.

Death penalty: A person who commits premeditated murder is to be sent to God for judgment.

New testament "turn the other cheek" concerns moral law.
If a man says or provokes another to strike him, he is at fault, deserving it for bringing it upon
himself. He has no right to retaliate or to damages and should turn the other cheek.

Turn the other cheek, was never intended to make doormats or push overs out of Christians.

edited 'civil' law to moral law.
Moral Law: Do unto others.... (aka the Golden Rule)

Matt 5:17 - He came not to destroy the law, or the prophets, but to fulfil.
With all due respect, old covenant laws (the 10 commandments) remain in effect even to this day.
It was the old covenant Jewish ordinances that passed away with the new covenant.
I know it may seem minor, but there is a big difference between the law and ordinances.

"Turn the other cheek" is also found in Luke 6:20-29 directed to the disciples for instruction.

As far as I know nothing happened to her.
She went to vet school, finished and got a job.
She was a class act.
Certainly not like some that will lie about what you said or didn't say.

Aaron said:
Me too.

I got to meet her. A truly delightful young lady. Had I been 35 years younger I would have never let her escape the area. She contacted me about finding a place to stay while doing an internship at a vet clinic. The clinic is about 70 miles south of where I lived at the time. I put her in contact with a lady I knew in that area. They hit it off and she stayed there for about a month or so. Between her getting married and me getting married and moving I lost contact with her.

Son of Butch said:
New testament "turn the other cheek" concerns civil law.
If a man says or provokes another to strike him, he is at fault, deserving it for bringing it upon
himself. He has no right to retaliate or to damages and should turn the other cheek.

Turn the other cheek, was never intended to make doormats or push overs out of Christians.

Agreed about not making a doormat of anyone. A man certainly has a right to defend and protect himself/ family from danger. Historically, and still today, most theologians interpret this teaching to mean practice humility and avoid retaliation for public shaming. Essentially, be the bigger man. When applied to the context of CT, one could say, "if someone offends you, avoid the tit for tat and simply ignore them."
See the following:

In the section of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount in which He commands us to turn the other cheek, He addresses the need for true transformation, versus mere rule-keeping. It's not enough to obey the letter of the law; we must conform to the spirit of the law as well.

Much of the material surrounding Jesus' command to turn the other cheek complements the nature of His coming, which was characterized by mercy, sacrificial love, and longsuffering toward sinners. At the same time, Jesus affirms the "last is first" principle upon which the kingdom of God is based. For instance, He tells us to go the extra mile for someone who abuses us (Matthew 5:41) and to love and pray for our enemies instead of holding enmity against them (verse 44). In summary, Jesus is saying we need to be pure inside and out and as accommodating as possible for the sake of a lost world.

A word about the "slap" that Jesus says we should endure. Jesus here speaks of personal slights of any kind. The slap (or the "smiting," as the KJV has it) does not have to involve literal, physical violence. Even in our day, a "slap in the face" is a metaphor for an unexpected insult or offense. Did someone insult you? Let him, Jesus says. Are you shocked and offended? Don't be. And don't return insult for insult. Turn the other cheek

For the moderators, this is not intended to be a discussion about religion, but a discussion about a specific teaching of an extremely important historical figure.

a specific teaching of an extremely important historical figure
Which in this instance very much includes a 'non-conformist' minister & a man who failed to abide by his own teachings. When criticized by the Vatican, he responded with a lengthy and very public tirade that announced the pope to be the Antichrist.

Latest posts