I wish a Ford and a Chevy, would still last 10 years...

Help Support CattleToday:

I think more farm trucks are eaten up by stock salt than by ocean salt. That said, the newer bodies seem to hold up much better to the sale than the old rig for the 1970s.

It did make washing the bed out though when the entire front end of the bed was gone.

That's another thing I don't miss about being north of the Mason Dixon line.. the salt they use on the roads in the winter! Made every vehicle rust out in a few years.

Ok couple pictures.

Here is my 1974 Chevy

74Ctruck.jpg

Solid as ever...but she gets worked...and taken care of. The underside of the truck is clean as a whistle. NO rust on any the chassis and EVERYTHING on it works like it did the day it came home from the dealer.
What happened to your truck Caustic? :p

A quick shot inside the engine compartment.

74engine.jpg

The interior.

74interior.jpg

My intentions this year are to clean this 4x4 chassis up....put 3/4ton suspension and axles under it and transfer the body from my 74 on it :).

Cchassis.jpg

I would get pictures of my 79 Ford but its already gotten the revamp and modernization treatment so its not exactly a stock truck anymore :lol: .

Salty you must have kept that in the shed.
The old Heavy Half's and Big 10's rusted to pieces here, I haven't seen one on the road in years.

Saltydawg":3iksjpig said:
Ok couple pictures.

Here is my 1974 Chevy

Solid as ever...but she gets worked...and taken care of. The underside of the truck is clean as a whistle. NO rust on any the chassis and EVERYTHING on it works like it did the day it came home from the dealer.

74engine.jpg

If EVERYTHING works on it like the day you brought it home from the dealer, then you should take it back to the dealer, that truck is suppose to have Air Conditioning and they forgot the belt before you brought it home. ;-)

I say newer trucks! I did not own a Truck as a teen in the early 80's but had Chevy Camaro put another motor in it at a little over 100,000 miles. Dad and friends were always putting motors in vehicles in the day.

I have put a lot of miles on Trucks and Vans in my business. We put probably 50,000 to 100,000 miles a year on vehicles and I have had good success with all of them (except a Little 1988 Ford ranger that had to small 2.0 motor) Have had Toyota, Nissan, Dodge, Ford and Chevy.

I have put over 200,000 miles on all the vehicles above but the Ford Ranger. Have had Three Chevy Astro Vans that have made it almost to 300,000 miles. Current 97 has 260,000 miles and still going strong. Have Nissan pickup that is beat to death but has 350,000 miles on it. Wore out 3 tailgates on it but never worked on motor.

I say buy a 1990 or above of most any truck, take care of it and it will last well over 200,000 miles with out much up keep. Except for that rare dud that is always lingering out there.

Aplus you are right there's no belt on the AC compressor.

I live at 2100ft elevation in New York.....not much need for AC here and its a gas hog if you run it.....so I didnt bother replacing the belt when the old one wore out.
There is nothing wrong with the system however.

I never said I havent had to do maintenance and fix the truck.

200,000 miles? My chevy seen that 20 years ago lol.

Aplus all those trucks you owned just proves my point....newer trucks are disposable items.
Use them up and throw them away cause they aint nuttin but a ball of plastic and cheap metal.

How many of you have a check engine light glowing in your dash?
From 96 and newer EVERY vehicle sold in the US is required to come with the OBD2 standard emission control/diagnostic system.
In New York the new yearly vehicle inspections will fail your vehicle if anything is wrong with this system.
Since it started in 96 we are just getting into the era where people will start having trouble getting their vehicles inspected in states such as New York....that require everything be in good working order with the OBD2 system.
It is expensive to maintain these systems once the vehicle gets old.
In 30 years time you arent gonna see these trucks on the road......people will have thrown them away because they get too expensive to maintain.

My old Chevy will still be rolling along though :).

Saltydawg":5t05trmc said:
Ok couple pictures.

Here is my 1974 Chevy

74Ctruck.jpg

74engine.jpg

The interior.

74interior.jpg

My intentions this year are to clean this 4x4 chassis up....put 3/4ton suspension and axles under it and transfer the body from my 74 on it :).

Cchassis.jpg

I would get pictures of my 79 Ford but its already gotten the revamp and modernization treatment so its not exactly a stock truck anymore :lol: .
that 74 chevy looks great thoses years 73- 75 didnt have drain hole's and would rust out on the show room floor

Saltydawg":3w57ttij said:
Aplus you are right there's no belt on the AC compressor.

I live at 2100ft elevation in New York.....not much need for AC here and its a gas hog if you run it.....so I didnt bother replacing the belt when the old one wore out.
There is nothing wrong with the system however.

I never said I havent had to do maintenance and fix the truck.

200,000 miles? My chevy seen that 20 years ago lol.

Aplus all those trucks you owned just proves my point....newer trucks are disposable items.
Use them up and throw them away cause they aint nuttin but a ball of plastic and cheap metal.

How many of you have a check engine light glowing in your dash?
From 96 and newer EVERY vehicle sold in the US is required to come with the OBD2 standard emission control/diagnostic system.
In New York the new yearly vehicle inspections will fail your vehicle if anything is wrong with this system.
Since it started in 96 we are just getting into the era where people will start having trouble getting their vehicles inspected in states such as New York....that require everything be in good working order with the OBD2 system.
It is expensive to maintain these systems once the vehicle gets old.
In 30 years time you arent gonna see these trucks on the road......people will have thrown them away because they get too expensive to maintain.

My old Chevy will still be rolling along though :).

I have never disposed of a vehicle because it quit running, My kids still drive the Nissan around in the field, it is just to bad looking to represent my business in public. My 97 Chevy Van has 260,000 miles currently as I stated. And it is my every day driver, it is the vehicle I trust every night of the week driving 300 miles at 3:00 in the morning.

Your 74 truck is for sure an exception! Most rusted out, most motors did not make it to far past 100,000 miles and all got terrible gas mileage. It is hard to give advice on a vehicle using one that almost everyone alive would agree, had a rust problem, motors did not last and got terrible gas mileage. Just because you had that one rare one in a million.

My father had a '75 Chevy after he had a '77 Ford. I've owned a'60 Ford, '67 Chevy, '75 Ford, '90 Ford, among others. The above were full-size pickups. The best truck I I've ever owned is my 1994 Ranger 3.0 V6, currently with 226,000 miles. I had a clutch put in around 160,000. I work it hard on a regular basis. The oil still looks clean on the dipstick at over 3,000 miles on the change. I try to keep it changed by 4,000.

The old trucks had heavier metal, but less corrosion protection. The newer trucks are tighter, quieter, ride better, and get better fuel milaege. I certainly agree that the modern fuel injected motor is far superior, especially on cold winter start-ups. The '90 model I owned is still towing a trailer with over 200,000 miles on its fuel injected 460.

Every one of the square body style Chevys from '74-87 that I've ever been in had doors that were hard to shut, and it wasn't because they were so windtight either. Dad's '75 also had to have a cam job on its 454 at well under 100,000 miles. The '77 Ford 400 had a new motor at 107,000. These trucks did tow a lot.

My buddy and I play that song almost every weekend in our band and we modified the line just slightly......

I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last 10 years...like a DODGE (in stead of 'like it should').

http://www.possumspeckerband.com

We always get a kick out of the crowds responce. There ain't nothing my 2002 Dodge 1-ton won't pull. I hauled a Petibone loader the other day on a gooseneck that had #21,000 on the nameplate. That was a heck of a pull. Truck plus trailer plus loader was well over #40,000.

Other than a lift pump, injection pump, and a reverse synchronizer, mine truck is holding up well. All warrenty work.

JWB

Latest posts