I don't socialize anymore.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have come to realize I am an introvert. That is something difficult to explain, because it basically sounds like one doesn't like people. I don't dislike people in an arrogant was as if I'm too good for everybody, but I just don't need to be around people to be happy like some people do. It's just the way I'm wired.

I like being around people I am really close to, but there are few people that I consider myself really close to. I like peace and quiet over the noise of a crowd. I wind down and relax by being at home, not among a crowd.

I think the main thing is to know yourself enough to know if you are happy being the way you are and if there is anything about your personality that is truly affecting your life in a negative way. Personally, I'm happy, and I function just fine in society; I just don't yearn to be around people all the time.

herofan":3o0e66n7 said:
I have come to realize I am an introvert. That is something difficult to explain, because it basically sounds like one doesn't like people. I don't dislike people in an arrogant was as if I'm too good for everybody, but I just don't need to be around people to be happy like some people do. It's just the way I'm wired.

I like being around people I am really close to, but there are few people that I consider myself really close to. I like peace and quiet over the noise of a crowd. I wind down and relax by being at home, not among a crowd.

I think the main thing is to know yourself enough to know if you are happy being the way you are and if there is anything about your personality that is truly affecting your life in a negative way. Personally, I'm happy, and I function just fine in society; I just don't yearn to be around people all the time.

You mentioned "wired". We are "wired" to be social animals. Every culture is based on a division of labor. Tribes, clans, villages, etc are based on each member performing a service so the entire unit succeeds. Mental health is defined by that. If you separate yourself (I don't mean you) from that, you are behaving outside the norm. You may be happy but you are not performing in the true sense of how you are wired over thousands of years of social development.

Bright Raven":cjsoefom said:
herofan":cjsoefom said:

You mentioned "wired". We are "wired" to be social animals. Every culture is based on a division of labor. Tribes, clans, villages, etc are based on each member performing a service so the entire unit succeeds. Mental health is defined by that. If you separate yourself (I don't mean you) from that, you are behaving outside the norm. You may be happy but you are not performing in the true sense of how you are wired over thousands of years of social development.

That might be true in general, but it's not true for me or apparently for several others on this forum. I just act on my feelings; I dont really dwell on culture, tribes, and division of labor while I'm enjoying myself. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't help my mental health to attempt to change.

herofan":yhbzlnyz said:
Bright Raven":yhbzlnyz said:
herofan":yhbzlnyz said:

That might be true in general, but it's not true for me or apparently for several others on this forum. I just act on my feelings; I dont really dwell on culture, tribes, and division of labor while I'm enjoying myself. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't help my mental health to attempt to change.

It works that way for me too. However, when I get out with family, old friends, or go to dinner with someone, I notice it energizes me. Therefore, I realize that there are positive "wired" in benefits to socializing.

I often observe that I dread a social event but when I get there, I am glad I went.

greybeard":33uajiy6 said:
I'm sometimes glad I went, but even more glad that it's over.

I can relate to that. Even if it's an event I'm enjoying, it always feels good when it's over and I'm driving away.

Bright Raven":3r7ugid6 said:
However, when I get out with family, old friends, or go to dinner with someone, I notice it energizes me. Therefore, I realize that there are positive "wired" in benefits to socializing.

I often observe that I dread a social event but when I get there, I am glad I went.

Some folks battery is recharged by socializing, and some folks battery is drained..interesting phenomenon. Extrovert vs. introvert

bball":34i6mnlc said:
Bright Raven":34i6mnlc said:
However, when I get out with family, old friends, or go to dinner with someone, I notice it energizes me. Therefore, I realize that there are positive "wired" in benefits to socializing.

Some folks battery is recharged by socializing, and some folks battery is drained..interesting phenomenon. Extrovert vs. introvert

Very true. Mine is drained by socializing, even if I'm enjoying it at the time.

Latest posts