I don't socialize anymore.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have trouble talking to a person or a small group if there is a large crowd. I hear the whole rooms conversations sometimes but not the ones I'm actually talking with

Timely subject. I was just telling a friend that since the beginning of the year I've become so disconnected from the community, half the time I have no clue what's going on outside my little world. Partly because my maximum length on a Board was up in Jan (2 terms, 6 years) but also because of my husband's health. We went from Corporate/City life to Cattle/Country and while he's perfectly happy not even leaving the ranch for 2 weeks, I need to get out more. And yet, I don't. Partially self-imposed. Because the longer I wrap myself in my cocoon, the harder it is to get out.

Jogeephus":2ar665rc said:
greybeard":2ar665rc said:
wbvs58":2ar665rc said:
My hearing keeps me from going where there is a group of people.

Ken
Mine too. Too acute. I hear every conversation in the place.

Same here. Just left a funeral gathering and I could see lips moving but all I heard was noise. It sucks.

Same story here too, have always had hearing problems, it is really frustrating in a crowd. I don't go many places alone, it's so hard to know what going on. I have to keep asking someone what they said, or ask my wife later what was said in a conversation.

RanchMan90":zgciia8v said:
I hear that. I'm getting married in November and I can't even think of any groomsmen other than my helpers. I wouldn't invite anyone if my fiance wasn't insistent on having bridesmaids :|

When the wife and I got married there was the pastor, a couple who are associate pastors at the church for witnesses, the church secretary, and a guy I know who just happened to be in the lobby working on the lights. The wife was fine with that but I can imagine many young ladies wanting a wedding like that.

RanchMan90":3sbln4h2 said:
I hear that. I'm getting married in November and I can't even think of any groomsmen other than my helpers. I wouldn't invite anyone if my fiance wasn't insistent on having bridesmaids :|

Best wedding I ever attended was held in a pasture. No frills or glitter. Trough was cleaned and filled with ice and beverages. Preacher wore jeans like everyone else. Married couple didn't run off but stayed till next morning before going on their honeymoon. Live bluegrass and country music was played well into the night. Fine time it was.

Jogeephus":21h8mz7a said:
Best wedding I ever attended was held in a pasture. No frills or glitter. Trough was cleaned and filled with ice and beverages. Preacher wore jeans like everyone else. Married couple didn't run off but stayed till next morning before going on their honeymoon. Live bluegrass and country music was played well into the night. Fine time it was.

Sounds like a fine time

Dave":1qk53edr said:
RanchMan90":1qk53edr said:

When the wife and I got married there was the pastor, a couple who are associate pastors at the church for witnesses, the church secretary, and a guy I know who just happened to be in the lobby working on the lights. The wife was fine with that but I can imagine many young ladies wanting a wedding like that.

Ours was in the preachers living room. We each brought a friend. We thought we had to have a witness or we wouldn't have had them there

Some years ago a very dear friend of mine died and I realized I hadn;t seen her for the 6 months before she died. I may a promise to myself that even if it was inconvenient I would make a point of at least talking to and preferably seeing people that were important to me on a regular basis. Wife still thinks I;, a hermit but I do get out to see people at times. Just not frequently

I quit socializing years ago and I'm just in my early forties. Between work and the kids and the cattle I don't have time for friends. Besides family I have 2 people I call friends and they are both over 2 hours away. I could be a hermit and be just fine. Strange thing is I seem to get along with people 15-20 years older. People my age seem kinda shallow. There are a few that can have a deep conversation but not many. The problem I have is when I need physical help with something I'm either asking neighbor which I really don't like doing, paying a ranch hand or getting somebody from my church to help me. Besides that problem being alone is perfectly fine. I prefer it. I questioned a lot of my "friendships" in the past and said why, life is too short, my wife and kids are enough.

wacocowboy":1djt3x2b said:
greybeard":1djt3x2b said:
wacocowboy":1djt3x2b said:
I use to go to this one place it was a dive most times wouldn't be more than 10 people in the place. Last place me and a buddy went to was packed we had fun but I wouldn't go back. ...
They threw ya out huh?
Surly bartenders?

Naw my dive closed cause dummy didn't pay his taxes. The packed places we closed it down. I am a very mellow mild person never been thrown out.

You just need an industrial margarita maker and set the world right. You buy one and they will come to you.

I left my church about 8 months ago (where I was just a member). I mostly travel and preach now. I take the family with me. Looking back on it, my social interaction at church was about my only personal contact with people away from work.

I can only think of 2friendships I've lost in the last 30 or so years. I just don't see people any more. I'm perfectly fine the way things are, it just snuck up on me I guess.

Bigfoot":tghhryx1 said:
I left my church about 8 months ago (where I was just a member). I mostly travel and preach now. I take the family with me. Looking back on it, my social interaction at church was about my only personal contact with people away from work.

I can only think of 2friendships I've lost in the last 30 or so years. I just don't see people any more. I'm perfectly fine the way things are, it just snuck up on me I guess.

My maternal grandfather was a traveling evangelist. Not ordained. It is not an easy life.

How is it determined where you are going?

Edited to add: I don't mean where you are going after death. I mean for your next sermon.

Bright Raven":1aa075we said:
Bigfoot":1aa075we said:

My maternal grandfather was a traveling evangelist. Not ordained. It is not an easy life.

Edited to add: I don't mean where you are going after death. I mean for your next sermon.

To this point, I seem to just be invited.

Bigfoot":1eo56j7g said:
Bright Raven":1eo56j7g said:
Bigfoot":1eo56j7g said:

To this point, I seem to just be invited.

ddd will appreciate this. Grandpa rode a horse from one appointment to the next. He rode all over Lewis County Kentucky. One of Kentucky's largest if not the largest county. His home was on cabin creek. Got paid in chickens and canned goods. The family subsisted farmed. Preachin was a hard life in those days.

Wow. I don't socialize much either. I go to work, church, and go home, but I'm happy.

Most people I know like to be on the go all the time, and they assume people who don't aren't happy. People also think if you don't travel much, you must live a sad lifestyle life.

I actually took a day trip to see some sights a few weeks ago, and when people found out, their reaction was one of relief as if to say "finally you are healed." It was like I told them I had gotten back in church after years of sinning as if I had somehow healed a little part of me since I took a trip.

I'm shocked that y'all don't stay busy socializing. I'm not a people person but we're always doing something as a fundraiser or donating time for GCA, FFA, Young Farmers. Giving your time to someone else is what life is about.

Just got in from socializing with our Senator Blake Tillery. Trying to save our GFC stations in Wheeler and Telfair counties.

Dave":jz6s5m6q said:
RanchMan90":jz6s5m6q said:

I think you'd be surprised. The wedding-industrial complex (kinda like the prison-industrial complex? :D ) likes to try to convince people that they need a big wedding because that's what's expected. Not everyone "buys in."
To me it seems more cultural. (Ever been to a Macedonian wedding? woo-whee! Free-flowing liquor, food for miles and a back-up polka band for when the first one takes a break. Southern Baptists, on the other hand (in my extensive experience) think an awesome reception takes place in the cement basement of the church on folding metal chairs, and involves a big bowl of red punch (unspiked), small bowls of Jordan almonds, mixed nuts, and dinner mints; and watching the happy couple unwrap their gifts. Actually, watching the bride unwrap "her" gifts).
Hubs and I left work on our lunch hour and met at the courthouse. Were married by one of the courthouse ministers (who took turns as people came in, sorta like a car salesman on a lot). He was a very dignified elderly black minister. Asked us "long or short?" "Short." Married us in a minute and asked hubs to sign the certificate for him (the preacher was illiterate. To this day we joke that that is our "out" is either of us turns mean--we were never legit-married! :D). We were both back at work in a half hour and told no one for quite some time.

boondocks":3g11pvos said:
Dave":3g11pvos said:
RanchMan90":3g11pvos said:

I think you'd be surprised. The wedding-industrial complex (kinda like the prison-industrial complex? :D ) likes to try to convince people that they need a big wedding because that's what's expected. Not everyone "buys in."
To me it seems more cultural. (Ever been to a Macedonian wedding? woo-whee! Free-flowing liquor, food for miles and a back-up polka band for when the first one takes a break. Southern Baptists, on the other hand (in my extensive experience) think an awesome reception takes place in the cement basement of the church on folding metal chairs, and involves a big bowl of red punch (unspiked), small bowls of Jordan almonds, mixed nuts, and dinner mints; and watching the happy couple unwrap their gifts. Actually, watching the bride unwrap "her" gifts).
Hubs and I left work on our lunch hour and met at the courthouse. Were married by one of the courthouse ministers (who took turns as people came in, sorta like a car salesman on a lot). He was a very dignified elderly black minister. Asked us "long or short?" "Short." Married us in a minute and asked hubs to sign the certificate for him (the preacher was illiterate. To this day we joke that that is our "out" is either of us turns mean--we were never legit-married! :D). We were both back at work in a half hour and told no one for quite some time.

Best read on here in a while.

Latest posts