I don't know what to do!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn_boroviak

Reaction score
I have a cow that has been lame on her right front foot, aborted a calf, and is now lame in her right rear foot..... what is going on? This is the worst luck I have had with a cow in my short time in the cattle business......HELP!!!

Good opportunity to replace her with a better cow.

Some are genetically predisposed to poor feet. If the rest of your herd aren't lame or losing calves, culling her will remove your current problem.
Sure, there might be an opportunity to learn better management too, but on the information provided there's nowhere to start guessing at the causative factors - presuming the lameness and pregnancy loss aren't linked.

Every one of our cows get minerals daily as well as a grain ration. When she started hobbling on her front foot I talked to the vet and he said treat her for foot rot and so I did per his recommendation. Then she started showing signs of heat and when we were checking the fence found a calf carcass. Then yesterday I went and checked on them and I'll be darned if she isn't hobbling on her right rear leg. So I guess at this point she is doing nothing except costing me money(no calf this year, possible vet bills, when no vet bills we have to buy medication). I guess I am kind of aggravated about the whole situation.

Sometimes cattle are like this.

Maybe she stepped on a stick and it punctured her hoof ... or she stepped in a hole ... or ... or ... or ... If she hasn't recovered on her own soon, I'd be tempted to put her in my freezer.

And, if its any consolation, I just lost a beautiful heifer calf ... and embryo calf of my own making out of a wonderful cow who is no longer alive ... to a lightening strike.

Slaughter prices are pretty good. I'd cut my losses and send her down the road. I'd rather have a money maker eating my grass.

Shawn, the foot problem would not bother me as much as the fact she aborted. It has been so wet and muddy you are lucky you have not had more foot problems. Spread some dehydrated lime around their water tanks or any of the areas that stay muddy will help some.
I came to London stockyard on Tuesday 2 weeks ago but not many cattle were there. Lots of goats though. Transmission went out in my truck near Chaney Lumber on 25E and I had to get another truck brought to me and get mine hauled home. Not a good trip.

Latest posts