Oops I think I pulled a Murray

Help Support CattleToday:

I disagree. It was beefgirl's choice, she saw what the cow and calf looked like and could've walked away. Nobody held a gun to her head. I don't give away any of my cull cows and wouldn't expect anyone else to, especially with a good slaughter market.
Where I am Butch it would be illegal to load a cow in that condition. You would be in a lot of trouble if you took it to the saleyards. You would have to keep it well away from view and try to get some weight on it or shoot it. I guess our standards are different. During drought transport drivers had to reject many loads of cattle as being "Unfit To Load", once on their truck they are responsible for the welfare.

Ken

I just sold the calf off of my drought cow.
She brought 200 more than I gave for the pair!
And the cow brought 83 cents a lb.

More than one way to make money at it!

Hope the cow does well for you! If she will straighten up and raise a 2nd calf that's awesome too!
You did good. Real good. Tonight I stripped out that quarter and I think I got straight milk.

You did good. Real good. Tonight I stripped out that quarter and I think I got straight milk.
Keep after it! Sounds like your making progress.

I tend to over do things. So just when I think all is good. I usually keep at it a while longer just to be safe.

Do u have any idea how far into her lactation she is?

And bless her heart for letting you help her!

Keep after it! Sounds like your making progress.

I tend to over do things. So just when I think all is good. I usually keep at it a while longer just to be safe.

Do u have any idea how far into her lactation she is?

And bless her heart for letting you help her!
Moved her and the calf out of building and across the yard into a small corral with barn. She took off running bucking and kicking. She's definitely feeling better. I can't believe what a difference in just a week with mastitis treatment and some good feed. I will keep stripping that 3rd quarter until calf takes over if she'll let me.

I bought a pair and a bred heifer yesterday from a neighbor.
The cow is SS , the cow and calf is poor, the heifer looks ok.
The pasture they were in looked pretty sad.
We wormed them and turned them out on good grass.
$1,400.00 for all 3.
I didn't get any pictures.
Here's the two cows.
I didn't get a picture of the calf, he looks pretty rough right now.
They are on good grass now, they should start doing better.

Attachments

• 3AA90BAB-E07B-4F94-B6F5-70E7C4F0D1BC.jpeg
    3AA90BAB-E07B-4F94-B6F5-70E7C4F0D1BC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
Grass looks great!!
Sounds like ya got a deal. End up with the heifer for free after it's all done
I think so.
Prices are steadily going up, even where we are the nights have been too cool for the grass to really take off.
The rye and clover is doing good.
We have been getting lots of rain , 10-12" over the last 2 weeks.
I been wanting to cut some rye for hay but it's been too wet.

They sure got plenty to eat now! I bet they come right around.

@beefgirl how's your jersey cow coming along?
She is coming right along. I've got her up to about 5 pounds of grain per day. Still stripping that 3rd quarter out 2-3 times a day. Looks like milk now but not much of it (maybe 6 pulls) so not sure if the quarters going to be any good but I'm going to keep stripping it. I think she's going to come around😊.

Attachments

• 07B88091-4A28-4CE1-980A-615D1D342F99.jpeg
    07B88091-4A28-4CE1-980A-615D1D342F99.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 4ACFFFE4-0814-4C57-A229-96AF35454F01.jpeg
    4ACFFFE4-0814-4C57-A229-96AF35454F01.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Love that first pic!!
She does look young. Hopefully the calf tuggs on it some too. That'll help.

Great to hear!!

Are u after another calf for her?
I think I'm going to have to get another calf to put on her. With better feed she will produce more milk and although two will likely slow her weight gain/recovery should also reduce the likelihood of her getting mastitis again. Now if I can just find a half decent bull calf for decent price. Even the holsteins are high around here up to 4.00 pound. Blacks (even crossbreds) up to 5.00. Even saw some jersey calves bring almost 1.00 pound.

I think I'm going to have to get another calf to put on her. With better feed she will produce more milk and although two will likely slow her weight gain/recovery should also reduce the likelihood of her getting mastitis again. Now if I can just find a half decent bull calf for decent price. Even the holsteins are high around here up to 4.00 pound. Blacks (even crossbreds) up to 5.00. Even saw some jersey calves bring almost 1.00 pound.
Did u look at her mouth?
She does look young in that first picture.
I wouldn't be in a hurry putting another calf on her, she looks like she could go down now.

Does she have any teeth? Do you know how young she is? Mastitis like that tends to be more in an older cow than a young one. She is in a pretty bad way, I hope you can turn her around. Whoever sold her to you should be ashamed to have taken money for her. They should have paid you to take her.
Ken
Whoever sold her should be ashamed of the way they took care of her.
Why do people do this? If you have them, TAKE CARE OF THEM.
They are mere victims of their owners.
Glad she has a chance to turn around. Thank you for that, beef girl.
Good luck!

P.S. I would give her some hay besides alfalfa. Grass hay will take longer to digest and not just go out the backend. Alafala plus some grass hay then whatever supplement you want, not sure she would need anything else except free-choice mineral in front of her 24-7.

Did u look at her mouth?
She does look young in that first picture.
I wouldn't be in a hurry putting another calf on her, she looks like she could go down now.
My pen that chute is in is full of mud and slop and she's not tame enough yet for me to get a look at her teeth. She does seem to be putting weight on. I'll see how she does in the next few weeks.

Whoever sold her should be ashamed of the way they took care of her.
Why do people do this? If you have them, TAKE CARE OF THEM.
They are mere victims of their owners.
Glad she has a chance to turn around. Thank you for that, beef girl.
Good luck!

P.S. I would give her some hay besides alfalfa. Grass hay will take longer to digest and not just go out the backend. Alafala plus some grass hay then whatever supplement you want, not sure she would need anything else except free-choice mineral in front of her 24-7.
She does have a partial round bale of grassy crp hay in there also. She will go out in small pasture sometime this week so she can get a bit of grass also.

I'm still having a hard time believing the infusions weren't the way to go.
Hopefully your vet is on his game!

Keep her feed consistent as possible. Her guts are gonna be all messed up from all those antibiotics.

Hope for good updates!
Here's an update on Jersey Girl. Cow is doing pretty good. I kicked her out to pasture with 3 yearling heifers and she seems to have finally settled in. She has slicked off winter hair and patches down her back have regrown. I think she's coming along pretty well. Still giving her about 5 pounds of sweet feed split into two feedings. I'll see if I can get a couple pics posted.

Attachments

• EC8A309C-3FBC-4F77-BA03-19CA934A8AFE.jpeg
    EC8A309C-3FBC-4F77-BA03-19CA934A8AFE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 79F1BB9A-0B49-4B5D-A65F-B63D35514E34.jpeg
    79F1BB9A-0B49-4B5D-A65F-B63D35514E34.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 19