hows your hay holding out

Help Support CattleToday:

That's what we'll find in Paradise huh?
(as bad as my eyesight is, for once, I didn't have the heart to "click to see the enlarged image")

We are having more severe winter then average and hay consumption is up. I make most of my living selling hay and the demand is high. I am holding back on selling anymore because I sleep better at night knowing I have a good cushion of 100 4x4s. I feed 3 4 x 4 rounds per day, they average around 450 pounds.

What is this "hay" stuff you speak of???

All it took was two straight years of drought and the hay cushion we had from the last 5 years was GONE. Sorry looking hay that we never would have put in front of a cow looks great now (and was eaten about 6 months ago). Our girls will not see hay until spring, they have corn stalks and corn silage with protein and minerals to balance it out. Ditch hay costs > $100 bale for a 4x5 around here. We used to have some pretty wasteful practices here. Now we act with hay like our relatives who went through the Depression do with food and money. I hope that we don't forget this lesson. BTW the cows are doing great, in spite of our crappy cold a$$ weather.

bigbull338":foundisr said:
jed i was taught if you can bale hay you bale it.even if you dont need it.an put it back for doughts.an never sell any.
It won't ship after its a year old here and if you never sell any its kinda hard to be in the hay selling business. We need to sell 5,000 bales a year.
As far as drought a large part of our hay is baled in April from oats, not saying it can't happen but we have never in history had a winter drought.
As long as we are growing irrigated milo we are going to have something to bale in late summer/fall.

After that first week of October initiation, it really hasn't been a bad winter here. Cow are still out on grass so most are getting some cake so it takes little or no hay.

Neighbor was planning to bring his cattle back to winter at my place after the first of the year. Got some 2-3 yr old bales and good grazing yet here. Haven't seen cows show up yet so neighbor must have enough grass at home.

Well lets see...

I came through 2011 with about 20 tons left over....sold down to 27 cows and 2 bulls.

Baled about 260 tons in 2012.....bought some cows and had 53 cows and 2 bulls on December 31. Fed no hay during 2012.

First week of January 2013 started feeding. Fed for 3 weeks and put out about 8 tons. Pastures were in pretty good shape in May but when the rains didn't come in June and July they played out. Started feeding in mid August and fed about 15 tons till the September rain got things going. Have a group of heifers I fed a few rolls to that accounts for another 3 tons. So that totals 26 tons fed which leaves 254 tons in the barns. Sold some cows, bought some cows, kept some heifers....At the moment I have 52 Cows (14 with calves), 2 bulls and 8 yearling heifers.

The cows are chewing through the winter pastures at a pretty good pace but only time will tell when I have to put out hay.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20140114/20140114_tx_none.png

Even with some pretty nice rains since September, the drought monitor shows us to still be in a moderate drought....evident by the tanks still being less than half full.

bigbull338":3fmoyil5 said:
i noticed some1 figured the 5 by 6 bales weighed 1200lbs.now last year we was feeding 4 by 6 bales that weighed 1200lbs.an my 55hp 4x4 lifted an hauled 5 of them at a time with ease.now this we went to 5 by 6s.same tractor would haul 5 5 by 6s 1800lb bales.but it was to much for it.so we just loaded the hay hauler.then in july that tractor was traded for a new 7040su 4x4 fel.last year in a week we was feeding 12 to 14 4by 6s vs 8 5 by 6s a week this winter.

Just back from feeding and thought I would ask how you can haul 5 1200 lb bales at a time. Please explain what kind of set up you have on your tractor. I would like to get one for my tractor.

mr TT is right we pull a 4 bale hauler on a loader tractor.an thats 5 bales,then we put a flatbed on the truck an haul 2.then if we drive the 2nd loader tractor back an forth thats 9 bales in a trip.

We are feeding a bale a day, or about 5 a week (we skip 12 hours every few days). Our bales were weighed, and averaged 1050 lbs. We are feeding 24 cows, plus fall and new spring calves on that bale a day. Will we have enough? Probably, if spring gets here before mid March! But we will be close (we are also feeding 4 spring yearling heifers, but they go through a bale a month, and 4 horses, which go through about a bale every 2 weeks). We started the season with 120 bales, 90 of our own hay and the rest bought. Hay is running about $25/a 4 x 5 round out here, so not as bad as last year. I can find some if I need to. Hope not to though!
Last year we fed light, because of the drought, and the cost of hay (over $75 for the same stuff available this year). Our cows came out of winter with a lower than liked body condition score, and our fertility suffered in the spring. I DO NOT want to do that again!! So we are keeping hay in front of them, and it is a better quality hay (tested, at 12% protein, not bad!).

Fire Sweep Ranch":8aebgx96 said:
We are feeding a bale a day, or about 5 a week (we skip 12 hours every few days). Our bales were weighed, and averaged 1050 lbs. We are feeding 24 cows, plus fall and new spring calves on that bale a day. Will we have enough? Probably, if spring gets here before mid March! But we will be close (we are also feeding 4 spring yearling heifers, but they go through a bale a month, and 4 horses, which go through about a bale every 2 weeks). We started the season with 120 bales, 90 of our own hay and the rest bought. Hay is running about $25/a 4 x 5 round out here, so not as bad as last year. I can find some if I need to. Hope not to though!
Last year we fed light, because of the drought, and the cost of hay (over $75 for the same stuff available this year). Our cows came out of winter with a lower than liked body condition score, and our fertility suffered in the spring. I DO NOT want to do that again!! So we are keeping hay in front of them, and it is a better quality hay (tested, at 12% protein, not bad!).

Thank you for a detailed explanation Fire Sweep Ranch.

cowboy43":2xox2c1d said:
I know the reason people on this forum ask ( how many cows do you have) is for knowledge to compare to their operation. But it is surprising how many people will ask me that question , just to know how many I have. They are not even in the cattle business. To me that is personal information , I never ask anyone face to face how many acres or cows they have. I wonder how they would like it if I asked them ( how much money do they have in their saving ) Maybe I am just too sensitive. I usually tell them a big lie anyway.

Wow. I agree with you about the money, but I never gave a thought to asking someone how many acres or cows they have, nor do i mind being asked. Is it a normal courtesy to not ask these questions? If so, I've probably offended a lot of people.

As for the hay, I've fed 50 rolls among 18 cows and 10 calves so far. We have over 100 rolls left, so we should be fine.

I was in hay shock after the drought of 2012 and the late spring in 2013 extended the hay feeding season, delaying pastures. I was purchasing all of my hay needs and ran out.

Begging people to sell you stalk bales at $65 or grass hay at $225 is an experience one does not soon forget. As mentioned above by someone, must be like our folks or grandparents felt going through the depression.

So went into full throttle mode this past year. It was either that or get out of cattle. The days of being able to purchase your winter hay needs (6 month hay feeding season) for a beef herd in WI are over. You could do that at $65 a 5x6 bale, not at $150 or more for good hay. That is pretty much for the dairy folks now.

No matter how well a rotational grazing system works during the green grass months, you can not make cow/calf work purchasing all winter hay needs at current hay prices. And I doubt hay prices will go back where they were.

Built a hay shed, bought hay equipment, converted soybean ground to oats/alfalfa, made my own hay, hired inline wrapping stuff that was marginal to too wet. Also had some corn silage custom bagged for the first time. And has that ever been a life saver in this extremely cold weather. Silage gets a lot of needed calories into a cow when its below zero (F) and the wind is blowing snow.

Net result looks like I will be ok for hay, likely have enough left over to feed some in the summer rather than destroy pastures if there is a real dry spell. Also moved calving start back 3 weeks this year from April 1 to late April and glad I did.

Feeding as I am at the hay shed and using silage in a wagon has dramatically reduced my hay consumption per cow from when I was trying to meet all protein and energy needs with good hay alone.

They are maintaining condition fairly well. I put silage in the wagon once every 4 days. Consumption averages about 30 lb/cow/day but is not uniform. I am going to reduce the silage in February as the third trimester starts.

Jim

I'll add a couple pictures from the past few days. It has been cold and windy. The silage you see on the ground was blown to that side by a 25 mph wind as I dumped the loader bucket. Temperature was 5 degrees F this afternoon and going to -22 deg F temp/-45 deg F windchill Monday and Tuesday.

IMG_1564_cowsaroundthesilagewagon_012414_zps65282999.jpg

IMG_1572_somecowseatinghayattheshedwhileothersstandinthesun5degFandgoingdown012514_zps6babf86e.jpg

IMG_1574_somecowsstandinginalineonasouthfacingslopetakinginthesunat5degFanddropping012514_zps7e363e7d.jpg

I realize this is a thread about hay, however the thing that has really extended my hay supply is this bagged corn silage. Not good dairy silage as it was a short season grain corn variety but in a way that is good as its not "hot" and probably better for beef cows. I want the girls to stay full and warm but don't want huge calves in late April.

My inline wrapped alternating oat-alfalfa-grass hay bales are tube wrapped and half covered in snow and ice on the right

IMG_1300_loadingsilagewagononday4in-20Fwindchill012214_zps88e08417.jpg

Do your Herefords bags hold up as well as other breeds like angus? Also do you think they milk as well? I just traded for some 3 yr horned Herefords and I like there calmness but there bags sure aren't nearly as nice as my Salers and they don't milk as well either.

piedmontese":1xdfnmre said:
Do your Herefords bags hold up as well as other breeds like angus? Also do you think they milk as well? I just traded for some 3 yr horned Herefords and I like there calmness but there bags sure aren't nearly as nice as my Salers and they don't milk as well either.

My cows' annual output, how they earn their keep, is producing a calf. I have a goal of a herd of cows that wean a 205 day calf that weighs 50% or more of the dam's weight at weaning. And that is with no creep. Hitting close to that 50% mark is how I measure my cows performance.

To do that they obviously have to milk pretty well. The American Hereford association has some pretty good milk and growth EPDs. I tend to buy bulls with good milk EPDs.

Most of my cows have pretty good udders. I think breeding selection has overcome many of the 50+ year old complaints about Herefords, or they would not be around and increasing in popularity as they are. Herefords do very well in my system. My neighbor is a long time Hereford cattleman and he got me started with them. I don't have experience raising other breeds so I can't tell you how they compare to Salers.

Herefords have a lot of good traits.

Jim

jim i dont blame you for buying your own hay equipment an putting tillable ground back into hay.feeding silage an hay where you are is a smart idea.an youd prolly be smart to always put up some silage.

cowboy43":d4mzd8uh said:
I know the reason people on this forum ask ( how many cows do you have) is for knowledge to compare to their operation. But it is surprising how many people will ask me that question , just to know how many I have. They are not even in the cattle business. To me that is personal information , I never ask anyone face to face how many acres or cows they have. I wonder how they would like it if I asked them ( how much money do they have in their saving ) Maybe I am just too sensitive. I usually tell them a big lie anyway.

Cowboy in that case just give them some BS answer. One that will make them say "No Shyt" !!!!! :lol2:

bigbull338":28uqw08g said:
jim i dont blame you for buying your own hay equipment an putting tillable ground back into hay.feeding silage an hay where you are is a smart idea.an youd prolly be smart to always put up some silage.

Thanks, BB. I'm looking at silage as a supplement. I still want the cows to do most of the work around here. Silage does produce a lot of feed per acre, just like my grazing corn.

I think I will have some silage custom bagged each year. I can grow pretty good corn fairly inexpensively. I just can't harvest and dry/haul/store or sell it inexpensively. Having silage custom bagged doesn't cost very much for what you get.

Silage to supplement and extend their basic hay diet looks like a plan for the future. Next summer I will be planting a cover crop mix into the silage round right after the chopper leaves for fall and early spring grazing. It will scavange and hold any left over N and other nutrients from the corn as well as hold the soil and some moisture.

-22 F predicted for tomorrow so need to get outside to plow some blowing snow and put out some more bedding for my bulls and calves...

Jim

Latest posts