hows your hay holding out

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":3gxepzjx said:
I know the reason people on this forum ask ( how many cows do you have) is for knowledge to compare to their operation. But it is surprising how many people will ask me that question , just to know how many I have. They are not even in the cattle business. To me that is personal information , I never ask anyone face to face how many acres or cows they have. I wonder how they would like it if I asked them ( how much money do they have in their saving ) Maybe I am just too sensitive. I usually tell them a big lie anyway.

I think you are being too sensitive... Or maybe im a open book. Some people ask just to make conversation... I have asked people here about how many cattle just to make convo and talk about cattle with them. I have people ask me all the time how many cattle acres etc I don't look at it as someone trying to invade my privacy because some people actually have interest in what someone does and no malice is involved. I am a open book ask me anything about my cattle or any other farming I do because I love it and don't mind talking about it. If I had 700 head that doesn't tell anyone how much $$ I have because there are alot of factors built into the equation that I could be in the hole with those 700 head figuratively speaking. I couldn't count how many times neighbors and family would ask my grandfather and grandmother questions about the farm operations because it fascinated them.

cowboy43":8cqc3w90 said:
I know the reason people on this forum ask ( how many cows do you have) is for knowledge to compare to their operation. But it is surprising how many people will ask me that question , just to know how many I have. They are not even in the cattle business. To me that is personal information , I never ask anyone face to face how many acres or cows they have. I wonder how they would like it if I asked them ( how much money do they have in their saving ) Maybe I am just too sensitive. I usually tell them a big lie anyway.

I was indeed asking so as to have a yardstick to hold our operation against. My intent was certainly not to probe into the total numbers of cattle or acreage a person might have. I apologize if it came off that way.

We are currently feeding 33 mommas and 12 September born calves (2 newborns from this month) at the house and roughly 75 cows and 40 or so calves in another location. I can't be there all the time and I honestly don't know how much hay we are putting out right now. I only know how I do it when I'm there but I only get up once a month.

I find the 25 lbs of hay per day number of interest as it gives a good measurement of consumption. The only thing about that is I don't know if it's a tried and true measurement.

I don't usually ask, but I don't mind being asked. People that don't farm are just curious. People that do farm probably are trying to get a handle on if your management practice is any better than theirs.

Now for the question:
I will have enough hay. My plan of having hay left over went out the window. That dang arctic blast put the quietus on my stock piled fescue. I've never had any still stockpiled this late, so I didn't know what would happen. I have about 45 acres of oats planted that I hope kick in this spring. We'll see.

I wouldn't think mine eat much over 3% of their body weight per day (worst case scenerio) When I was a kid, we fed small square bales. If you had 40 cows, you put out 10 in the morning, and 10 at night. They were ready to see the truck at feeding, and they looked ready for spring when it came. That would work out to 25 pounds a day. They sure waisted less. That I know.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ak45fbx said:
cowboy43":2ak45fbx said:

I was indeed asking so as to have a yardstick to hold our operation against. My intent was certainly not to probe into the total numbers of cattle or acreage a person might have. I apologize if it came off that way.

We are currently feeding 33 mommas and 12 September born calves (2 newborns from this month) at the house and roughly 75 cows and 40 or so calves in another location. I can't be there all the time and I honestly don't know how much hay we are putting out right now. I only know how I do it when I'm there but I only get up once a month.

I find the 25 lbs of hay per day number of interest as it gives a good measurement of consumption. The only thing about that is I don't know if it's a tried and true measurement.

TT that must mean you are almost darn near a billionaire and farm 823 acres right :lol2:

I was always told one 5x6 per day for 25 cows.
I feed mine less than that, they clean it all up and the still have grass to eat.

My take on asking/knowing how many cows a guy has, is to relate to my operation. A guy with 10-15 head is gonna have a different outlook than some one with 50 or 150. Never understood people wanting to keep it a secret like they have something special. Never seen any ranchers on shows like Cattlemen to Cattlemen or American Rancher say "I'd rather not say how many cows I'm running" when they are interviewed.

heath":l1s6muu9 said:
I feed mine less than that, they clean it all up and the still have grass to eat.

My take on asking/knowing how many cows a guy has, is to relate to my operation. A guy with 10-15 head is gonna have a different outlook than some one with 50 or 150. Never understood people wanting to keep it a secret like they have something special. Never seen any ranchers on shows like Cattlemen to Cattlemen or American Rancher say "I'd rather not say how many cows I'm running" when they are interviewed.

Thanks for the input heath. Do you find most 5x6 bales weigh 1,200 lbs? If so, then your consumption exceeds 25 lbs per head per day.

That was how they feed when i was cowboying, but that's been 12 years ago. I bet it was 4x5, cause 5x6 haven't become common till the last 5-7 years.
I feed mine 5x6 and I'll put out 3 on Sunday and they are good till Fri evening. Im feeding 33 head plus 5 older calves that are ready to haul off next week.

heath":2lmg82y2 said:

Maybe it's just me but when someone ask me "how many cows you got" or "how big a place you got" I always felt they were they were sizing me up.
People around here don't ask, unless their city folk or a-holes and if you volunteer to tell you're either bragging or complaining
I never measured a man based on his wealth, but I'm just a redneck with redneck ways

Seems to me that people are worried too much about asking or worried about telling because of pride.
I've asked before I knew it was "taboo" only to figure out how best to run an operation. Carrying capacity, hay use etc. maybe more people could be helped out with basic information if other people weren't so hung up on "pride"
My .02 for what it's worth

hooknline":ih48tslf said:
Seems to me that people are worried too much about asking or worried about telling because of pride.
I've asked before I knew it was "taboo" only to figure out how best to run an operation. Carrying capacity, hay use etc. maybe more people could be helped out with basic information if other people weren't so hung up on "pride"
My .02 for what it's worth

Hook I don't mind talking in a situation like that
If I'm asking for advice or giving advice, but just in casual conversation is what I was referring to

Let me preface this by saying I'm feeding about 20 head right now with an average weight of around 900 pounds counting cows and calves. I'm feeding approximately 4 750 pound bales a week. I keep all my hay in the barn dry so they clean every bit of it up before I put another roll out.

I don't mind people asking what I have or what I'm doing. 90% of the ones that ask are simply making conversation or trying to learn. The other 10% are well just the other 10%. I've got better things to do than worry about who is sizing me up or what they think.

Kyle

Since I haven't sold any of the 2,000 bales that were for selling and I also had the 1,000 that were for us to feed I have plenty. Should be able to make it till 2016. Anyone need and send a truck and Ben Franklin. We also mowed down another 2,000 and didn't bale the other 1,000 of milo stalks.

i noticed some1 figured the 5 by 6 bales weighed 1200lbs.now last year we was feeding 4 by 6 bales that weighed 1200lbs.an my 55hp 4x4 lifted an hauled 5 of them at a time with ease.now this we went to 5 by 6s.same tractor would haul 5 5 by 6s 1800lb bales.but it was to much for it.so we just loaded the hay hauler.then in july that tractor was traded for a new 7040su 4x4 fel.last year in a week we was feeding 12 to 14 4by 6s vs 8 5 by 6s a week this winter.

jedstivers":3ccqycrf said:
Since I haven't sold any of the 2,000 bales that were for selling and I also had the 1,000 that were for us to feed I have plenty. Should be able to make it till 2016. Anyone need and send a truck and Ben Franklin. We also mowed down another 2,000 and didn't bale the other 1,000 of milo stalks.

Jed with drought out west and it creeping east you may not have a problem getting rid of it ;-)

jed i was taught if you can bale hay you bale it.even if you dont need it.an put it back for doughts.an never sell any.

bigbull338":acskf16q said:
jed i was taught if you can bale hay you bale it.even if you dont need it.an put it back for doughts.an never sell any.

I don't have space for no more than 200-250 bales under my shed and about the same lining fields + the hay from year before last I may not even bale 1 this year and let someone else cut it and pay me. I understand why jed did what he did. I can assure you I won't be seen on Hoarders for Hay Hoarding.

Latest posts