hows your hay holding out

Help Support CattleToday:

Short answer is that I have 55 days of hay left. To extend that I am now feeding ground rice straw with corn gluten, dried distillers grain, minerals, molasses, etc added. Have a pasture with rye grass in it but has not rained enough for it to make much growth. Rain would solve all the problems. :bang:

I'm sitting pretty good on hay but as cheap as I'm seeing it around I'm thinking about buying some extra in case we don't get the spring rains.

I have 80 rolls left. We normally feed 3 per day and 1,000 lbs of brewers grain. Looks like I will probably need to buy hay unless the ryegrass and fescue are enough by then.

Tim/South":2nbc7ti1 said:
I have 80 rolls left. We normally feed 3 per day and 1,000 lbs of brewers grain. Looks like I will probably need to buy hay unless the ryegrass and fescue are enough by then.
What kind of brewers grain are u feeding? Wet or dry? We get wet barley from a local brewer twice a week. Five 50 gallon plastic barrels each time. Haven't never weighed it but it's plenty heavy.

piedmontese":qxky0wk9 said:
Tim/South":qxky0wk9 said:
What kind of brewers grain are u feeding? Wet or dry? We get wet barley from a local brewer twice a week. Five 50 gallon plastic barrels each time. Haven't never weighed it but it's plenty heavy.
We are feeding wet brewers grain. It comes by the truckload from the Bud brewery in Georgia, 21-24 tons per load.
We have just begun feeding it this winter. I am very impressed with the results.

wet or dry brewers grain is always good feed.an dry stuff is a good way to warn your hands up in winter because its always hot an steamy.

Tim/South":177znnz2 said:
piedmontese":177znnz2 said:
Tim/South":177znnz2 said:
We are feeding wet brewers grain. It comes by the truckload from the Bud brewery in Georgia, 21-24 tons per load.
We have just begun feeding it this winter. I am very impressed with the results.
Great products. You just have to feed a lot of it.

We have 6 tons in round bales and 120 tons in square bales. We haven't had to feed yet at all this year, but we are saving it just in case we have poor quality forage or ice in the coming winters.

Backbone Ranch":dvwgdspd said:
We have 6 tons in round bales and 120 tons in square bales. We haven't had to feed yet at all this year, but we are saving it just in case we have poor quality forage or ice in the coming winters.

You can't be from around my area then. Started feeding hay in August, then got some rain in mid September and had to start back up in October. I just fed my last two bales and making them clean it all up. Opened the hay lot where there's still some long grass, but that won't last long. There's a little ryegrass but we need more rain to get it going good.

I'm guessing an hour and a quarter from me as I'm 45 minutes south of Sherman. The rain gods must have been good to you.

*Edit I read that wrong you're over two hours from me.

Latest posts