hows your hay holding out

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
our cows are eating 8 5 by 6 bales in a week or less.an they are cleaning the bunks up.so that means we have hay to feed till april if we have to.waiting on the rye grass to kick in real good.

im feeding 3 bales a week and still have over 500 bales left as I said in other post I havent even used any I baled last season.

Hay is plentiful so unless the rest of the winter turns really really bad.. it looks like we will have excess. but then again, we usually do anyway. Even if I did need extra.. its selling around here for 20-25 a bale now.

Unless the weather changes alot, or winter lasts thru the end of March, I'll have extra left--which is ok--I cut it way too close last year when the ryegrass didn't do good. Good 4x5s runs anywhere from $40-$65 here right now. Plenty of it.

I sold 40 - 750 lb. round bales last fall for $50.00 per bale. Figured that would pay operating costs for haying. We feed hay until the middle of May around here. I have plenty to get me get me through.

Cows are fat and happy

got enough till march. plenty of 2o12 hay for 10-15 a roll for sale- 2013 hay 30-50 roll good supply everywhere. I'll buy more in the next few weeks as insurance

At this point it looks like I'll have enough hay to get through the beginning of May which is when we usually are able to put the animals onto pasture.

Just started hay feeding 2 4x6 per day. Hay quality is crap but I still have some grass. 1/2 way through calving season.

I am in great shape this year... picked up an additional 100 acres last year (lease) for cutting hay and got some really good quality off of it. By my calculations, with all of the hay that we rolled on our farms, I should have 50-75 rolls left by the time we turn them out to pasture this Spring.

Spring callers have yet to see hay and hopefully won't until march. These dang high input fall calvers eat plenty though.

TennesseeTuxedo":3qf4v65x said:
bigbull338":3qf4v65x said:
our cows are eating 8 5 by 6 bales in a week or less.an they are cleaning the bunks up.so that means we have hay to feed till april if we have to.waiting on the rye grass to kick in real good.

How many cows?

Well let us figure out how many cows. 5 X 6 bales will maybe weigh 1200 lbs. At around 25 lbs per cow a day. Looks like he is feeding around 75 head.

hurleyjd":2dqf3awk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2dqf3awk said:
bigbull338":2dqf3awk said:

How many cows?

Well let us figure out how many cows. 5 X 6 bales will maybe weigh 1200 lbs. At around 25 lbs per cow a day. Looks like he is feeding around 75 head.

Thanks hurleyjd.

I have grass until mid feb or maybe mar. 1st. Was hoping to go without feeding hay completely this year, but will probably take another year or two for pastures to improve enough for that transition. You guys down south that have ryegrass should be able to graze it by Mar 1st I would think.
I have an old garden spot with some volunteer ryegrass on it. It was about 6 inches high until yesterday....I let the cows have it.
BTW have any of you ever sowed any Italian ryegrass like Zorro? Some will say it and annual ryegrass is the same thing, but its not.

I know the reason people on this forum ask ( how many cows do you have) is for knowledge to compare to their operation. But it is surprising how many people will ask me that question , just to know how many I have. They are not even in the cattle business. To me that is personal information , I never ask anyone face to face how many acres or cows they have. I wonder how they would like it if I asked them ( how much money do they have in their saving ) Maybe I am just too sensitive. I usually tell them a big lie anyway.

Latest posts