How would an F1 Brahman x Hereford Cross do in Cold Weather?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ratfish":1xz43ukz said:
Hmm, I figured that the 50% Hereford would have helped him out enough but when I was looking at him more he looks identical to a pure Brahman calf aside from the coloring. Maybe I can get him one of those blanket things the horses around here wear during the winter time....

Another question I have is how bad it is for cattle to have wet feet. We're going to winter them on the side of a ridge so there won't be any standing water, but I was thinking about rotating them to the flat pasture occasionally maybe for a couple of weeks at a time because the grass is so good over there. I don't want them to get footrot or anything though. We'll be feeding them hay of course but there will probably be some green grass for them there, moreso than the ridge.

Thanks.

If they can stay dry they can stand most any temp extreme. They need a dry place to lay. Wet hides dramatically reduce their ability to tolerate the cold. I'd keep them out of the water unless they have a dry place to go.

I think the cold winters you have in that country is the main reason the northern buyers don't like a lot of "ear" on the cattle they take out of this country.Z

Don't know your situation, size of pasture wise, but keep in mind they will pug up a wet/muddy area pretty bad. Depending on how wet it is they can destroy a pasture if it is too wet.

If it is that good of grass can you put them in at a dry time?

Oh we're putting them in in a couple of days, and they'll be moved back to the ridge when it gets too wet. A couple months after that though I may want to move them back briefly.
Now that you mention it though, the previous owner ran them all over all year round and the flat pasture, after a few years, is still an uneven mess.
I suppose it's best to leave them on the ridge.
They have plenty of evergreen trees in both places to block the sun as well as the rain.
We're on 30 acres but they will have access to about 20 between the two pastures.
Seems like that should be sufficient for 6 steers, right?

You'll put a horse blanket on em?Im fixin to go Caustic on this guy.Somebody help him.

jj216":1ct9s2bj said:
You'll put a horse blanket on em?Im fixin to go Caustic on this guy.Somebody help him.

GAWD KNOWS, I wouldn't go that far...but, Mr. Ratfish, you can put blanket, after blanket, after blanket on him and it'll last as long as it takes for him to rub it off...or he'll beat you to death for trying to put it on him in the first place. Besides, if he keeps it on, all it will do is keep him from growing the hair that it takes to protect him from the foul weather. My goodness, if you are actually considering that, don't put him out in it in it in the first place...talk about asking for trouble...oh GAWD, am I actually agreeing with "him." Yuck!

I've lost my mind...

Alice

Ratfish":2vrj0ac4 said:
Hmm, I figured that the 50% Hereford would have helped him out enough but when I was looking at him more he looks identical to a pure Brahman calf aside from the coloring. Maybe I can get him one of those blanket things the horses around here wear during the winter time....

Another question I have is how bad it is for cattle to have wet feet. We're going to winter them on the side of a ridge so there won't be any standing water, but I was thinking about rotating them to the flat pasture occasionally maybe for a couple of weeks at a time because the grass is so good over there. I don't want them to get footrot or anything though. We'll be feeding them hay of course but there will probably be some green grass for them there, moreso than the ridge.

Thanks.

Please take pictures of you placing the blanket of that tiger. Oh have your insurance paid up.

Workinonit Farm":10q1uznf said:
Alice":10q1uznf said:
oh GAWD, am I actually agreeing with "him." Yuck!

I've lost my mind...

Alice

It's that dog avatar, I'm telling ya. ;-)

Katherine

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Oh, Katherine...you rock! :nod:

Alice

Caustic Burno":31znzc8e said:
I don't think I have ever ask for a picture before, but I would really like to see this rodeo.

No, I cannot recall you ever asking to see a photo, but I think a video would best.

As I've offered before for other occasions, I'll be glad to provide the lemonade and popcorn for that show.

I've seen folks put blankets on calves. I don't know about show cattle, but I have never seen a blanket on a pastured steer, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Katherine

Ratfish if you could provide a little more information about yourself it would help me in my search, because when we do not hear from you in a few weeks I will be googling

"Steer Hurts youngster in WA"

"Pet Steer hurts youth in WA"

"WA Youth trampled as he puts blanket on his pet steer"

If I knew a little more like a name or town or how old you are it will help me in the Google Search.

Or you could just leave this calf alone. Hopefully sale him, and get some goats.

Ratfish":1pxr10lq said:
I've been trying to get them calm enough that switching them between the pastures won't be a nightmare since there is a driveway that splits them.

If I'm reading this right, put up panels on either side, or install the panels as swing gates when switching pastures - otherwise it WILL be a nightmare because there is always one that won't go where they are supposed to, and takes half the herd with them, unless you're going to halterbreak and lead each one across the driveway.

I've had pretty good luck moving them around. There will be 4 people doing it with strategically placed automobiles so I think it ought to be alright. If they get away they will still be within the property's perimeter fencing, just not where we want them.

I know he's half Hereford for sure, I just want to know if he is structurally similar to a Brahman steer his size.

hahahahha 20 years later we are still joking (and finding pieces of chrome) about that time my great uncle volunteered his truck as a wing fence/alley way when we were trying to load some wild cattle in a trailer.

Make sure they have comprehensive.

Train the animals to follow a bucket and do it your self. Too much "help" is worse than none at all.