Cold fingers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
It was 38 this morning when I went out to do calf check as the sun just starting to show up. I either need wait an hour or two to do this check or break out the warm gloves. My fingers got cold putting around on the quad looking at calves who were looking at me. These calves have been weaned for 5 weeks now. Maybe I should just check them on nice warm afternoons.

Just like 85 being a real hot day in May but by August it is a nice day. I had pulled on a sweat shirt for one of the first times but never thought about the fingers.

Since Sunday, the highest we have been is 72. Got down to 68 one night. I HATE it. Tried to sit on the porch last night to smoke, and almost froze to death. I had to go in and put on a T shirt. The more clothes I have to wear, the madder I get. 270 lonnnnng days til summer comes back!!
In the 40's up here in the mountains this morning. I couldn't even find a fly for about 4 hours.

You live in the absolute prettiest area of our state. But, I couldn't do it, unless I was rich enough to have a place on Jekyll or St,. Simon for when the weather got below 60 and stayed at that! :)
We're only at 1600 ft so I avoid the icy roads in the winter most the times, it's the ultimate weather here in my opinion. And yes it's absolutely beautiful and our dogs loved our creek.

There's more wildlife and beautiful areas then you'll ever be able to see in a lifetime

IMG_20180728_181900912_HDR.jpgIMG952019090495164355592.jpg

It is a touch warmer this morning at 41. Probably because it is cloudy. Was talking to my next neighbor to the west today at the sale. His ranch is at the other end of the canyon which is 15 miles away and a lot higher elevation. He said yesterday morning it was 26 at his house. My elevation is about 2,700 feet, his is about 3,400 feet. It makes a difference.

It was 38 this morning when I went out to do calf check as the sun just starting to show up. I either need wait an hour or two to do this check or break out the warm gloves. My fingers got cold putting around on the quad looking at calves who were looking at me. These calves have been weaned for 5 weeks now. Maybe I should just check them on nice warm afternoons.
I'm eagerly waiting for 58*
We are predicted to have a wet colder than normal winter?
The last two summers have been extremely tough.

Our temps are warming up now but some mornings can still be a bit fresh. I find I lose feeling in my fingers very easily and loss of control of my thumbs. I am into my AI program at the moment and have to make sure I put gloves on driving around in the UTV getting cows in otherwise my hands are useless for drawing up injections in syringes and manipulating cervixes. Getting my hand in cows rectums is a real challenge with my little finger sticking out at right angles, but we seem to improvise and one thing is it is warmer inside them.

Ken

Not fond of either extreme. When I was injured years ago, I never had an operation for repair. I can't regulate my temp correctly. I can freeze at 70 and sweat at 7 degrees. It can get cold out there. Leather gloves and a hat are a must in the winter. Sunlight makes all the difference.