How would an F1 Brahman x Hereford Cross do in Cold Weather?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ratfish

Reaction score
This is my first week of this (I'm that green) and we had some rain and cold a few days ago that soaked our 6 steers and the others seemed fine but the Brahman cross was visibly shivering whereas the others didn't seem to notice the cold. They're all about 6 months old. What I'm wondering is how well he will do later on in the winter when it gets into the teens. Aside from his brindle/tiger-striping pattern, he exhibits the standard Brahman phenotype and will likely be built almost exactly like a purebred Brahman.

Any info is appreciated.

I like Brammers what benifit are you getting from a breed that has no business in the north. The bang for the buck out of brammers is heat tolerance and insect/ disease resistance in hot climates.

The fact that they look so strange was good enough for me. We're going to have one steer that stays around year after year and the other 5 rotate out. I think it will be enough to keep the packs of coyotes in check. Are they pretty easy to manage?

Ratfish":2qgd6wav said:
The fact that they look so strange was good enough for me. We're going to have one steer that stays around year after year and the other 5 rotate out. I think it will be enough to keep the packs of coyotes in check. Are they pretty easy to manage?

Oh yes gentle as a housecat.

Man after looking at that calf he is the registered pettin kind. Sure got the look.
You push that one you had better be run like a deer and dive in armadillo holes.

Caustic Burno":33qznp7v said:
Man after looking at that calf he is the registered pettin kind. Sure got the look.
You push that one you had better be run like a deer and dive in armadillo holes.
:lol: :lol: pic #4 looks like he's thinking he can clear that pine tree.
Ratfish do you really have that big a problem with yotes getting calves?

Caustic Burno":2p7wlkp9 said:
http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01635ny3.jpg

This is the look of one that will come to greet you.
:lol: And look real deep in your back pocket for the treats?

Ratfish":3kjer6ea said:
Are they pretty easy to manage?

Tigers? Do yourself a favor - click on the search button at the top of the page, type in 'Tigerstripes', and then read all of threads!

Looks like I have my work cut out for me. We do have a lot of coyotes around...the neighbor has about 70 goats and just recently they broke through and tore up their guardian dog pretty bad. I'm not worried about them killing them as much as chasing them and having one hurt a leg or something unnecessary.

I think we can calm them down. I will say though that he is always the first one to start moving away, and the others follow his lead. I figured that if I started early and spent a good deal of time with them that they would would be pretty well-behaved after a while.

Maybe not?

Ratfish":1x1w1uzy said:
I think we can calm them down. I will say though that he is always the first one to start moving away, and the others follow his lead. I figured that if I started early and spent a good deal of time with them that they would would be pretty well-behaved after a while.

Maybe not?

If you get rid of the nutcse leader the rest will calm down a lot more. If you keep the nutcase you're begging problems

dun

Hard to tell from the photo but those look like "Applegates" in the background. Wild bulls like to crush them, spread them etc.. because they are light built.

Got no brammer experience, but I have fence buster experience ( No not the limo's!! :lol: ) and if he doesn't respect your fence he will teach the others.

CB was the only one to mention cold tolerance, I have a neighbour who has Longhorns, but have never seen Brahman up here. From what CB said I assume they would croak when it went below zero?

How many of you guys pressed the fart button on the photo board?? :lol:

They will do just fine in cold weather. We have several herds of beefmasters and santa gertrudis up here.

I had read that they are fine down to 7 degrees F. I have never seen it that cold here so I hope he'll be alright. I'm not the lazy type to put them in the pasture and hope they'll turn out alright. I'm not saying he'll be halter broke next week but I would like to get him at least neutral to my presence.

Anyone ever keep a Brahman for years? Do they get truly massive?

dun":3aw1fe0y said:
Ratfish":3aw1fe0y said:

Maybe not?

If you get rid of the nutcse leader the rest will calm down a lot more. If you keep the nutcase you're begging problems

dun

It is very rare, if not impossible, to change the inherent temperament of the animal. Think about some people you may know that are just naturally high-strung people. Even with "therapy" or self-help books, that person is just a naturally high-strung person. Similar deal with animals. Similar deal with cattle whether it be a Charolais, Jersey,Angus,Brahman,Shorthorn or whatever. Some individuals are "naturally" more cautious, wary, agressive etc.

Brief example, had cow (withholding the name of breed so as not to get off-topic), who was "naturally" a bit high-strung. She had always been worked calmly and quietly, saw me every day etc. In all the years I had that fool, she was always the first one to try to crash a fence, jump a gate, bundt and roll you every chance she got. Always raised a great calf, but I finally came to my senses and realized that that great calf just was not worth the aggrivation the cow caused and she grew wheels and I'm not sorry for that decision.

dun is right on the mark, get rid of the nutcase leader and you will see a big difference in the behavior of the rest of the group.

As to whether your F1 Brahma cross can handle the cold, I'm no expert in that department. But I would think that the higher percentage of Brahman, the less tolerance for incredibly frigid weather. But I could be wrong on that.

Katherine

Latest posts