Cold bitz

Help Support CattleToday:

It's going to be tempered a good bit when it gets here but still won't be fun.

It's working it's way down here. Saturday night looking at -20*F. Supposed to be +39*F by Wednesday, but then it might come back. Cowboy Ram probably get it worse than us and it will stay cold longer in the basin.

Supposed to get to around zero here by the "warm" waters of Lake Superior. But there's a winter storm moving in along with the cold, calling for 12-18+ inches of snow and 50+ mph winds. So we could see blizzard conditions.. hurray.

Similar weather here. We were spoiled by El Niño so this is a rude awakening to winter weather. Just getting the basic chores done is a success when it gets this cold.
IMG_0190.jpeg

It's working it's way down here. Saturday night looking at -20*F. Supposed to be +39*F by Wednesday, but then it might come back. Cowboy Ram probably get it worse than us and it will stay cold longer in the basin.
It's looking like a high of -5F and -20f for a low, and by Wednesday back to 30 above.

Yes…unfortunately when the weather is so brutal! Normally it's not so bad…Nice for disease management. Agreed those calves are thrifty! Ideally we will one day tighten the interval and calve them all a little later like you. Right now anything calving is an Ai and had an early preg check. So we have a good idea on date and if twins exist which is very helpful. We have a barn and so rotate them up, and in when weather bad and out to calf pen when dry.

gcreekrch, does this cat ride with you all the time? You sure don't need to let Chore Cat out beause you will never spot him or her. The white will look like snow and the spots will be cow splats. Then, where is Chore Cat?
Your cows look to be well cared for in that kind of weather.

It was cold enough that we let the dog sleep in the laundry room last night. When I got up they sure wanted out. Five minutes later they wanted back in. I guess -5 degrees is too cold for dogs too. They are sacked out now. There is plenty of wood in the wood shed and food in the pantry. I see no reason to go anywhere for a few days.

I don't know how y'all deal with it, I'm worried about my water troughs with 15* weather coming our way, I can't imagine -32.
We're supposed to be below freezing for three days.
I'm going to drain the troughs at the cow pen, run a water hose from the house down to the troughs and fill them when I need to. I'm weaning some calves.
You guys are tough.

gcreekrch, does this cat ride with you all the time? You sure don't need to let Chore Cat out beause you will never spot him or her. The white will look like snow and the spots will be cow splats. Then, where is Chore Cat?
Your cows look to be well cared for in that kind of weather.
Oscar loads up in a truck, tractor or quad like a dog. We just don't let him out away from home as it takes too long to catch him when he goes exploring.

Yesterday didn't reallly warm up here. Started -37 and warmed up to -36 c. And… the tire waterer froze. The heater element got a bunch of scale on it and wasnt heating properly. Water valve stuck shut cause the float stuck to some ice. Cows drank water down so I got to work on a frozen waterer. After borrowing the wife's hair drier and leaving it point down the riser pipe it thawed out quite nicely. Just had to pour some hot water on the valve and it worked. Meanwhile my chore tractor didn't feel like starting too cold or something. The torpedo heater seemed to do the trick on that. At the end of the day I could say IMG_0193.jpeg

Latest posts