I’m an idiot

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Lost cows for Christmas and a bull for New Years.
It's all my fault I should have known better.
The 4 cows we bought at the stockyards right before Christmas were sick with some kind of BRD.
We knew they were thin, but I've never had much problem that way with bringing in older cattle before. When we loaded them out we could tell one was a little weak.
We bought 3 cow/calf pairs and one bred cow. Now we have 2 pairs and a bottle calf. The 2 that died did not respond to Draxxin and died very fast
The remaining cows are doing fine now, one of those was the one that was weak when loading. They will be kept to themselves for a few weeks more.
Then this morning went to put out hay and found my Simmental bull with damaged equipment. I had been concerned about him in that department.
No more thin stockyards cows and only bulls with clean tight sheaths.
Turned the 2 pairs out of the barn and into a lot yesterday.
8837E482-0D27-48C1-A328-21C07EFD8680.jpeg3D382E63-8BA0-471B-8C8C-0B69EFBC2896.jpeg

Its not always because its stockyard cows. Since it was a scheduled cow sale i would thing someone gathered those up at another market a week or two before just for the sale. Yours got sick too quick to have gotten the bug the night of the sale.
I would ask the stockyard manager who brought them and tell him what's happened. It might not do much good this time but they might discourage it happening again.
We discourage any short term trade cattle here by not helping them bring more.

Its not always because its stockyard cows. Since it was a scheduled cow sale i would thing someone gathered those up at another market a week or two before just for the sale. Yours got sick too quick to have gotten the bug the night of the sale.
I would ask the stockyard manager who brought them and tell him what's happened. It might not do much good this time but they might discourage it happening again.
We discourage any short term trade cattle here by not helping them bring more.
I agree, I've bought several cows from stockyards and not had anything like this happen.
We also think what you think about the special sale and cows were bought and resold. They all had new looking tags in their ears numbers starting at 100 and calves had corresponding tags.

I agree, I've bought several cows from stockyards and not had anything like this happen.
We also think what you think about the special sale and cows were bought and resold. They all had new looking tags in their ears numbers starting at 100 and calves had corresponding tags.
Thats a sign of traded cows also. I would discuss it with the manager.

Goes back to the scruples post..some of those traders will buy up ones like that to put in special sales..while those cows hang around picking up shipping fever and whatever else with with sick and stressed out cattle..it already had time to have a good hold on them,by sale time …and too late to really save them

Dang it! Just dang it!
I sure hate to hear that @Ky hills
Did all the cows come from the same consigner?

I don't trade like that. As you have seen, most animals I hold for a while. If there is a problem I wanna know about it and not pass it along. I buy with intent to keep usually. Sometimes they do well enough that they stick around a while. And sometimes, someone wants em more than I did.

I've seen all too often how traded cattle fare. Not always. But sometimes.

The shiny new tags almost always I shy away from. Multiple brands. Multiple tags or multiple tag HOLES in the ear. Old glue spots from back tags. It can happen. But it shouldn't have at a special sale!!

A call to the sale barn wouldn't hurt just as @kenny thomas said. May not get any real satisfaction, but maybe u will. At the least, the sale barn will be made aware of that certain trader and may help in the future.

If you weren't so far away I'd make a real offer on the baby calf. I need one for my brindle cow. She is pulling Bessies tricks. Way too much milk. Squirts milk just standing there. I'm hoping Thursday I'll have one bought.

Not a given but they should have all received Draxxin on arrival. You aren't an idiot, just an expensive learning curve..

No matter how hard we try, we can't kill them all!
We brought them in late at night night, and got generic Draxxin the next day and treated the sickest one. Day after that the rest. Hindsight should have treated them all at first. The first one treated died first and next day after her another one died.
We used to give all incoming purchased calves Draxxin,

We brought them in late at night night, and got generic Draxxin the next day and treated the sickest one. Day after that the rest. Hindsight should have treated them all at first. The first one treated died first and next day after her another one died.
It looks like you isolated them from the rest of your animals? That should be standard procedure if for no other reason than to get them comfortable in their new home. But surprise illness is the best reason for a standard quarantine.

Dang it! Just dang it!
I sure hate to hear that @Ky hills
Did all the cows come from the same consigner?

I don't trade like that. As you have seen, most animals I hold for a while. If there is a problem I wanna know about it and not pass it along. I buy with intent to keep usually. Sometimes they do well enough that they stick around a while. And sometimes, someone wants em more than I did.

I've seen all too often how traded cattle fare. Not always. But sometimes.

The shiny new tags almost always I shy away from. Multiple brands. Multiple tags or multiple tag HOLES in the ear. Old glue spots from back tags. It can happen. But it shouldn't have at a special sale!!

A call to the sale barn wouldn't hurt just as @kenny thomas said. May not get any real satisfaction, but maybe u will. At the least, the sale barn will be made aware of that certain trader and may help in the future.

If you weren't so far away I'd make a real offer on the baby calf. I need one for my brindle cow. She is pulling Bessies tricks. Way too much milk. Squirts milk just standing there. I'm hoping Thursday I'll have one bought.
I know the 3 pairs were sold by the same person. The bred cow had a different kind of tag but new and a bunch of numbers and letters on it. I think they were all penned on the same row with a bunch of bred cows together and the 3 pair were penned next to them. I figure either from the same trader bought on a different day or by another trader of the same ilk.
I believe they must buy up cows at regular sales and throw them together with a bunch of others in filthy conditions and starvation rations.
Some yards around here are crawling with those kind of traders, I thought it might not be as bad at that one but as usual I was wrong.
Those two remaining cows come running now when they see me coming with a bucket. They are already looking better.

It looks like you isolated them from the rest of your animals? That should be standard procedure if for no other reason than to get them comfortable in their new home. But surprise illness is the best reason for a standard quarantine.
Yes I like to keep them separated for a while. They are already learning to come when they see me coming with a bucket.

I know the 3 pairs were sold by the same person. The bred cow had a different kind of tag but new and a bunch of numbers and letters on it. I think they were all penned on the same row with a bunch of bred cows together and the 3 pair were penned next to them. I figure either from the same trader bought on a different day or by another trader of the same ilk.
I believe they must buy up cows at regular sales and throw them together with a bunch of others in filthy conditions and starvation rations.
Some yards around here are crawling with those kind of traders, I thought it might not be as bad at that one but as usual I was wrong.
Those two remaining cows come running now when they see me coming with a bucket. They are already looking better.
When I was heavy into trading cattle I never resold anything at the sale barn with one exception. I bought a char/angus heifer that was the craziest animal I ever saw. Her comfort zone with people was measured in counties, and if she found out she didn't have an escape path she was actively hunting to stomp you into the mud. She went back as soon as possible. I think she'd been drugged when I bought her because she didn't act unusual when I was bidding.

Everything else was kept in quarantine and sold out of the corral before being turned loose without going through the barn, or they went into the keepers and were sold after giving me a reason to cull.

When I was heavy into trading cattle I never resold anything at the sale barn with one exception. I bought a char/angus heifer that was the craziest animal I ever saw. Her comfort zone with people was measured in counties, and if she found out she didn't have an escape path she was actively hunting to stomp you into the mud. She went back as soon as possible. I think she'd been drugged when I bought her because she didn't act unusual when I was bidding.

Everything else was kept in quarantine and sold out of the corral before being turned loose without going through the barn, or they went into the keepers and were sold after giving me a reason to cull.
Haha!
I bought a 400 dollar pair like that!
When the cow tried to tear the trailer apart, I hauled her straight to the next sale!!! Shes the one put 2 guys over the alley, AFTER I told em to keep clear.
Kept the calf for a few days. She was the first one that liked to jump up in the loft of the trailer. Remember her?
The Mexican folks i sold her to, still have her!
Amazing what being tied to a tree for a few weeks will do.....

Heck, she ought to be about due to have a calf. Wonder how that's gonna turn out. Think I'll ask about her next time I see him

If they were actually trader cows who knows how much time they had to get sick…..

I bought one like that, very gentle at the barn, crazy when we got home. I knew the people selling her, it was a herd dispersal, and they said all of their cows were real gentle. Several tried to eat the ring man up when they went through, the one I bought didn't but tried to eat me up when I got her home. I believe those cows were gentle at home in the enviroment and with people they knew, I think they just freaked at new places and being separated from one another. Lady that was selling said they had raised them all and her kids told me they went out and fed them cubes and they were big pets. Stress can do funny things to a person or animal.

I knew the people selling her, it was a herd dispersal, and they said all of their cows were real gentle. Several tried to eat the ring man up when they went through,

And we've all seen/heard an auctioneer describe them as dog gentle even as they try to kill anyone old enough to die...

The man eater I bought I had to herd back to the pens with a tractor. That took a while. She was too mean to run off when there was a human close by to kill.
I didn't want to be embarrassed by taking her back to the sale barn and was worried she would hurt someone so I drove her 75 miles to a packing plant that unloads directly on to the kill floor. A $350 mistake. Don't feel bad KY, it happens top all of us.