Patching an automatic waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Ritchie two hole waterer with some age on it, about ten years or more. It has faded to a mild pink where it was once red.
The upper plastic housing is full of cracks. It does not leak and functions, but froze solid during the recent cold spell. Mt two newer four hole waterers continued to function as they should have.
I have tried epoxy weld and other things, the cracks just continue to grow.
Time for a new fountain?

It's a Ritchie, plastic. Not mine, the neighbors. I found it for them this morning. Same situation as Logan apparently.

I have a Ritchie two hole waterer with some age on it, about ten years or more. It has faded to a mild pink where it was once red.
The upper plastic housing is full of cracks. It does not leak and functions, but froze solid during the recent cold spell.
I have an older 4-hole Ritchie waterer that fits that description. The cracks don't bother me. It froze during the cold spell, however, the cattle have access to multiple waterers. When the weather warmed up, I found the donut heater had failed.

It's a Ritchie, plastic.
This is what I've heard, though I haven't tried it. Find out what type of plastic the waterer is made of. Patch using a piece of the same plastic and a butane torch. Heat the edges until it bonds to form a patch. Plastic of a different type will not bond with the Ritchie plastic.

I have welded, with good results, a gas solder gun. Melt along crack, then add some plastic to the top. Had to weld a plastic tractor fuel tank. Worked very well.

Are milk jugs the same plastic as Ritchie waterers?
I once welded a plastic canoe with a section of milk carton and it held up well.

Are milk jugs the same plastic as Ritchie waterers?
I once welded a plastic canoe with a section of milk carton and it held up well.
I'd think that the plastic in a lick tub would have less brittleness over time. Milk cartons shatter within a year.

Try some 2 part swimming pool/spa repair putty. Sets up even under water. Works on a variety of 'plastics' including but not limited to fiberglass and vinyl.

Clean good and then Duct tape. I have a large Tupperware plastic bowel that I put a crack in several years ago beating a cow wormer pill up in with a hammer. I put Duct tape on the crack probably ten years ago and it has been washed hundreds of times in a dishwasher and no leaks yet.. The water in the tank has no pressure and I bet duct tape will last for years if it is a flat surface.

I have seen plastic welded but the only personal experience I had with it didn't work. Only waterer I have repaired was shot with a .22 best I could figure. Ran a big commercial roofing screw with the rubber washer on it up tight. Been holding for close to 10years now.

I wonder if that flex seal stuff on TV would work?
Didn't work on my cracked fiberglass swimming pool steps. They're slightly textured (nonslip) and I never could get it to stick. The commercials show the guy just sticking it on and presto! it's instantly sealed, but the instructions on the tape are a lot different. Plainly states that pressure applied to the tape and how long it's applied are instrumental in getting a good seal and that the surface needs to be smooth..

IMO, it sticks to itself and your fingers better than anything else.
your results may vary.....