Automatic waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
What brand do you all recommend for automatic waterers? I'm planning on going with the unheated kind. I've been told Pride of the Farm are good, and a local guy deals in Ritchie. What do you use and why do you like or dislike it?

I use the double basin heated Ritchie. It has been in for 7 years and never had a problem.

Good installation is the secret.

I have a couple Ritchie's I like mine. Like Ron said the installation is the key in having one work right.

Bright Raven":2qmw5gwc said:
I use the double basin heated Ritchie. It has been in for 7 years and never had a problem.

Good installation is the secret.

+1. I keep basic repair parts on hand just in case. Haven't used any yet. Been in 3 winters now.

Got 4 four ball miramount and one 2 ball. Been in several years and half of them bought used 1 froze up once.

Got 5 4 ball forgot one. Keep the gravel up arond the concrete after they walk it down every couple years. I have never had another brand. Only complaint some times weaning calves take a bit to catch on when they come out of pond only fields i take a ball out for a few days.

I have a mirafount, I really like it. It's gravity fed from a spring. Only thing is that up here we have to keep a few head on it or it will freeze up over time.

We put in Cobett waterers https://cobett.com this past summer. So far, so good. We have only been in the low to mid 'teens, and not even an ice crystal in the water. We used the one with a float (recommended because of water quality). Calves and yearlings went right to it (curiosity?); cows now don't fight over who gets the fresh water by the float (like in the old water trough). Have enjoyed not having to break ice, cows lined up to get water, unthawing water hydrants, hoses ... Will see how it works when it gets really cold. Was told might have to break a little ice on top sometimes when it stays below 0*...Really EASY to clean. Have the large model, have seen 3 cows drinking at the same time. Was told: "Bury them so top is 20" above ground level.. looks too low, but TRUST instructions! Works way better if tops do't stick out too high."

Mirafount lil spring 3900 is what I just bought. Has a removable tank heater which is why I got it. I can replace easily if it goes bad. I do not believe the Ritchie's have a removable heating element. I also added a secondary ground rod to go along with my GFI outlet. But as Raven said, a good installation is the key. This will be my first winter with it but since you are going the non heated route, it has worked great since spring and install was a very simple. Uncle has had both Mirafount and Ritchie for many years on a 400 head dairy and has had zero problem with either.

I think I might look into a non-powered waterer at some point.. I do have power, but if I can avoid the bills I'd like to.. only need it in the corrals, other places with the gravity water they just have a bathtub with constant flow, never have freezing problems down to -10F

Latest posts