I’m an idiot

Help Support CattleToday:

That really really sucks man! I sure liked his pics.
Yeah, it really hit me pretty hard, he was the thickest bull I've had in long time and was looking forward to his calves.
We've had a bad run of bulls 3 out of the last four I've bought have went down with the same type injury. A Beefmaster and 2 Simmentals.

Yeah, it really hit me pretty hard, he was the thickest bull I've had in long time and was looking forward to his calves.
We've had a bad run of bulls 3 out of the last four I've bought have went down with the same type injury. A Beefmaster and 2 Simmentals.
I hate that for you, KY. I knew you were so excited when you got him, and was planning on him being an integral part of your program to develop Ang/Herf/Simm cattle. Reckon he got anything pregnant before he broke it?.

That's odd, what do you think is the reasoning? I mean if it was one I'd say bad luck but 3 out of 4? Ihear of it happening but not that often.

That's odd, what do you think is the reasoning? I mean if it was one I'd say bad luck but 3 out of 4? Ihear of it happening but not that often.
It's just one of those things, couple with bad selection on my part. I actually wondered about how this last bull was made before buying him, but I took a chance because I thought he was a whole lot of bull for money if he turned out and come up short. The other Simmental bull that got injured, I attributed to him trying a breed on slick ground, we are on steep hillsides and most of the winter is mud, and we had an ice storm when he got hurt.
The Beefmaster bull was my fault too, I thought it was the Brahman influence that made him big and loose the way he was.
Hopefully I'll know better next time to prioritize clean tight sheaths on a bull.
I've had bulls around for over 30 years and have had 4 get hurt like that within the last 10 years prior to that none and 3 of those in the last 5 years.

Well. maybe he did and you will get a couple of heifers to keep his genetics going. What month were you planning on starting to let him breed?
He'd only been out a couple of weeks with cows, we just have a few fall calving cows. Was going to pull him back out about March and then back in for spring calves in mid to late May.

Your animals, to me, are for damn sure good enough to raise your own bulls. What do you think about that route?

Your animals, to me, are for damn sure good enough to raise your own bulls. What do you think about that route?
I've been doing some of that too. Currently have a coming 5 year old home raised bull, he's more of a heifer bull type and we've been trying to find one with more growth but he will be used until we find one that works. I like to keep a young bull coming in every year for just such an emergency, but now o feel like the older bull has run his course and we need to bring in some new blood so I e steered everything the last two years.

@Ky hills this will make u feel better. I wasn't gonna tell anyone because I'm pretty ashamed of myself. The title of your thread is how I felt as well. But here goes anyway.
Remember me asking about this bull "calf"?
20231209_164152.jpg
Well. I bought him.
Took him straight to the vet. Vet says he's a 3 year old. And his scrotal won't pass the mustard. Didn't say he wouldn't breed but advised a better bull. I only needed him to breed 10 or so cows til summer when I was gonna buy a GOOD bull.

THAT'S when I loaded everything up and decided it was time for a re-set.

I never said anything in my bull thread about it. But it's out there now!

Keep your chin up my friend! Your doing good!

@Ky hills this will make u feel better. I wasn't gonna tell anyone because I'm pretty ashamed of myself. The title of your thread is how I felt as well. But here goes anyway.
View attachment 39052
Well. I bought him.
Took him straight to the vet. Vet says he's a 3 year old. And his scrotal won't pass the mustard. Didn't say he wouldn't breed but advised a better bull. I only needed him to breed 10 or so cows til summer when I was gonna buy a GOOD bull.

Hate it turned out that way for you, maybe you can put some weight on him and he'll pound out decent.
I paid $2000 for my bull and he brought $1700 something can't remember exactly, but was pretty good outcome compared to what I was afraid he might bring.

Hate it turned out that way for you, maybe you can put some weight on him and he'll pound out decent.
I paid $2000 for my bull and he brought $1700 something can't remember exactly, but was pretty good outcome compared to what I was afraid he might bring.
I lost 200 bucks on him.

He went from sale barn to vet to another sale barn.

Lesson learned

Only open cow I I have right now just calved. I got a little time still

View attachment 39052
Well. I bought him.

Hope you only paid meat prices...

Haha!
I bought a 400 dollar pair like that!
When the cow tried to tear the trailer apart, I hauled her straight to the next sale!!! Shes the one put 2 guys over the alley, AFTER I told em to keep clear.
Kept the calf for a few days. She was the first one that liked to jump up in the loft of the trailer. Remember her?
The Mexican folks i sold her to, still have her!
Amazing what being tied to a tree for a few weeks will do.....

Heck, she ought to be about due to have a calf. Wonder how that's gonna turn out. Think I'll ask about her next time I see him
Oh, little "Ricochet". :) I was wondering how she was doing. 🤭

Latest posts