How well does your bull load on the trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a yearling that we intended to use as a heifer bull. Due to the fire we turned bulls out a little early and put him with a 2 y/o with 2 y/o heifer pairs. Then when it came time to put him with the heifers I took the trailer to the pasture and a bucket of cake. No corrals so backed the trailer up to the fence where the gate would just touch the fence. He went right in. Has never been halter broke or anything. I can scratch his back. I feel certain I could load all 3 of our young bulls. That is the way I want them.

My kids always wanted to name the bull. I would tell them that his name is Mr. Bull because you always treat a bull with respect.

We'll see how easily mine load after today. Need to move 2 in the central pasture across the road to the east 80 with the other bull & heifers. As luck would have it, Dick & Johnson were talking smack to Rod on the other side of the road, none of the cows or heifers were around. It was just me, spur of the moment with no sticks or backup but how hard can it be? So I walked them .25 mile to the corner, they were bellowing at Rod the entire way, kept them interested with cubes, occasionally stopped so they could kick up some dirt. Opened the gates on each side of the road to walk them across but here comes the neighbors bull, raising holy he!! in his corner. And none of them would move. Clearly they weren't really interested in actually fighting - they were just being obnoxious. And they obviously have no interest in leaving their ladies even though the cows are already bred. Epic fail. Back to Plan A/the trailer. :roll:

Caught them easily in the barnyard corral, took their time but loaded just fine - they know the drill. Moved them to their winter home. All good, right? Until first thing this morning when I went to check. Dick is in the road. Rod is in the pasture but literally covered in dirt. Johnson was .25 miles away on the other side of the pasture with the ladies. The fence was destroyed, even t-posts broken in half. Spent the majority of the day fixing fence & doctoring wounds. I currently have a love/hate relationship with my bulls although they did band together for all of 30 minutes to read the neighbors bull for filth. :bang:

Latest posts