How well does your bull load on the trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
I'm in awe of this video for more than 1 reason. First being how many here would love to have their bulls load like that and 2nd that is a 7 year old bull that looks like he has held up well over the years.

https://twitter.com/wieseandsons/status/1028005579648847872

We pulled our 4 year old bull a couple weeks ago, he's pretty docile but I doubt he'd walk right onto the trailer in the middle of the pasture like that. We rounded him up in the summer pasture corral with the cows and he walked right into the trailer once we separated him off from the cows. They worked so well we probably jinxed us when we round them all up for weaning in 2 weeks. Hoping for a cool morning on Sept. 8th as the cows work better when they aren't trying to hide in the shade and creeks.

Had a cow I could load like that. A registered Brahman no less, I loved that old gal, and she was like a Gaurd dog over me..no body could come near me when she was around are she'd run em out of the pasture...

Most of my sim bulls would lead like that, but would stop at the door to look in first, another poke and they jump on though.

I trailed one home yesterday with a bum foot just walking along side with him. Just over a km, but through a few gates he'd stop while I opened. He's leaned down for summer, and weighed 2175 when I got him home.

We have a Gardiner Sure Fire son who will load up in the middle of a pasture. He will also run to my wife when she has the hose and loves taking a bath. Only bull I've ever seen that will wash his own nose and eyes in the stream of water. He even cocks up a rear leg so she can spray his testicles and scrotum neck thoroughly. Young bull who is almost 2.

Sure Fire has a high docility number that is definitely accurate.

Never tried to load one in the middle of the pasture like that, but when our bulls see the trailer, they know what's waiting for them at the end of the ride! They are very agreeable to loading up.

BFE":3gegb6tr said:
Never tried to load one in the middle of the pasture like that, but when our bulls see the trailer, they know what's waiting for them at the end of the ride! They are very agreeable to loading up.
Same.

And when people purchase and pick up one of our bulls, they're in awe of us walking them to a separate pen (in wide open spaces) to the other pen where the loadout is. Some may turn but it's easy to redirect them.

I really do think it's how often you handle them, and the amount of your presence.

I don't like being on foot around a mature bull much less walking besides one. Seems like every year someone around her gets hurt or killed fooling with bulls around here.

True Grit Farms":2xmqyc9z said:
I don't like being on foot around a mature bull much less walking besides one. Seems like every year someone around her gets hurt or killed fooling with bulls around here.
Agreed. I have the pit bull mentality. Sure you raised it good, sure it's gentle and loves your baby. But it might bite my face off. So, I'll pass.

And if you ask me to "stop" a cow that's running at me, I'm going to let you down. I play a lousy game of chicken.

NEFarmwife":150mvp59 said:
True Grit Farms":150mvp59 said:
Agreed. I have the pit bull mentality. Sure you raised it good, sure it's gentle and loves your baby. But it might bite my face off. So, I'll pass.

And if you ask me to "stop" a cow that's running at me, I'm going to let you down. I play a lousy game of chicken.

Pit Bull mentality? Is that like the boogy man?

Neighbor guy had a guy come out and buy his bull. Guy couldn't figure out how he was gonna load the bull so the neighbor told him to watch. Guy went in the house and got some sewing string and walked out to the pasture. He put the string around his neck and lead the bull from the pasture to the driveway and right into the trailer... I wouldn't believe most guys but I've never seen a guy than can work with cattle and horses like him and probably never will.

Brute 23":1p3n3rqz said:
NEFarmwife":1p3n3rqz said:

Pit Bull mentality? Is that like the boogy man?[/quote]

Some people give off a combination of hormonal odors that just irritates animals. My mother will be the only one in a crowd to get bit by a horse. Cattle won't let her get anywhere close.

I reckon she has the pit bull boogeyman stink...lol

This guy loaded up well , though he did go down the chute into the trailer I could field load him I think.
It took him a bit to get going (grass was tasty), but give him a few minutes and he remembers there's girls waiting for him and he comes right along.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/d43eQ39JudQ[/youtube]

That boy got a lot of respect for you, cause you could tell his mind is on something else...wrapping that rope around your hand is a little spooky though.

ALACOWMAN":1efbm1r0 said:
That boy got a lot of respect for you, cause you could tell his mind is on something else...wrapping that rope around your hand is a little spooky though.
No doubt!! My boys are pretty darn easy (still vocal!) but no way would I want to be attached to any of them, even my fave.
That said, loading them when they're not already with the ladies is as simple as opening up the back door of the trailer. Not so much when I'm pulling them off.

My Max does not fit through the chute anymore (actually for the last 4years), so I just back up to a gate and tell him to get in. He also gets clipped and bathed standing loose in a smallish pen and loves every minute of it! The rest of my boys are halter broke, so I put a halter on in the pen and lead them on/off. I just always make sure I have an exit plan. I try to avoid giving them a chance to make a fool of me!

True Grit Farms":3p396x2h said:
Working with bulls is like working with electricity, you can't be afraid of it but you darn well better respect it.

Our old red poll bull, Bubba, was a peach. You could take the trailer out into the field and he'd meander over. Open the door and say "Load up Bubba". In he would go. He knew the trailer meant he was going to see some girlfriends. And when they were all settled he would load just as easily to come home. We have cattle that will load themselves in the trailer in a pasture if they think they are going to better grass. And some that have to be tricked into a catch pen too!!!!!!

Latest posts