How old is too old?

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
How old is too old, when you look like this?
(Not that she is going anywhere, because she will die here.)

This is my Rosie cow. (Reg. Brangus) She is 13 this year, and due to calve next week. This cow has given me many championships through her 13 yrs.. And almost as many calves. She is my "once in a lifetime cow"! Her last show she placed Res. Grand Champion cow/calf at CA State Fair at the ripe old age of 11yrs. old. She was the oldest cow in the entire barn. She was beat only because she had a crack in one foot from the rough terrain she had been on at the OR ranch. (I knew that it would be a problem until it grew out.)
She has lost some muscle mass at her age, but continues to be sound.
I never had the money to flush her prior, which I deeply regret. So I finally gave it a shot when she was 11. I spent a lot of money, and did not get a single embryo. I was told that "she was fine, that it was a bull issue." Apparently, "some bulls do not produce semen that is conducive to hyper ovulation." Well, The embryologist and the semen bank neglected to inform me of this. I am considering giving it one more try with a different Embryologist.

My question is, what is the oldest cow that you have ever successfully flushed? And how did it work out?
Thank you for your replies! BTW- I know she is not standing properly on the photos, the poor gal is pretty uncomfortable and ready to drop that calf anytime. :D

[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20140517_175254_zps77f4c0b8.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20140517_175311_zpse54b4ec3.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20140517_175258_zpsc05ae821.jpg[/img][/url]

One of my was harvested as an embryo when the donor was, iirc, 15 years old.

I'm planning to flush a 12 year olds cow a few times this year ...

WalnutCrest":3iq3vbc2 said:
One of my was harvested as an embryo when the donor was, iirc, 15 years old.

I'm planning to flush a 12 year olds cow a few times this year ...
Thank you! That gives me great hope!
Can you give me any tricks to success??

I look at my situation like this ...

I need to be ready to do it three times if I'm going to do it once. If the first or second times work and I don't need a third time, then great.

WalnutCrest":22hu94kt said:
I look at my situation like this ...

I need to be ready to do it three times if I'm going to do it once. If the first or second times work and I don't need a third time, then great.
Do you prepare your cow in any special way? Supplement?
How soon after calving do you start?
Do you worry about summer heat on fertility?
And when ordering semen, does it make a difference on who you choose for ET and what questions do you ask in relation to fertility for ET?

What a coincidence, my once in a lifetime cow was Rosie too! Yours looks in fine shape, and probably it's only by looking at her teeth you'd be able to tell she's not half her age!

With a real bull, mine didn't miss a beat with 16 calves. I think if the cow is in good health, age isn't a big deal.

With the low phosphorus in my area, I found they did better when they got as little as 5-10 lbs of grain a WEEK, primarily for the phosphorus content in the grain more than the energy.

Nesi, I do remember your cow Rosie! :D My Rosie was named after my Aunt Rosie. I went through a phase where my cows were all named after family members. :lol: They would brag about "who beat who" in the show ring. :lol:
I hope my Rosie lives as long as your Rosie!
She got a nice bath today, just waiting for her to have this calf. She has the last of the Blackhawk semen in her. (Can't buy anymore that I know of.) Anxious to see what it looks like, and hoping for a heifer!

I have a 15 year old cow at the embryologist right now and her flush date is the 22nd. This is her last chance. We flushed her here on the farm using our local vet last spring and didn't get anything. We flushed a 13 year old twice this spring and got 11 the first flush and 22 on the second. I really, REALLY hope this 15 year old produces something this week because I need some heifers out of that breeding! I'll let you know how it goes....till then not sure I will be able to type anymore because all my fingers will be crossed!

Cibster":2okbg4is said:
I have a 15 year old cow at the embryologist right now and her flush date is the 22nd. This is her last chance. We flushed her here on the farm using our local vet last spring and didn't get anything. We flushed a 13 year old twice this spring and got 11 the first flush and 22 on the second. I really, REALLY hope this 15 year old produces something this week because I need some heifers out of that breeding! I'll let you know how it goes....till then not sure I will be able to type anymore because all my fingers will be crossed!
:D Cibster, I will cross my fingers for you also! Please cross for me too! I am happy for you on the 13 yr. old. Really good to get the positive feedback. Thank you! :D

Curious about flushing and implanting embryos. How much does it typically cost to flush a cow? How many implantable embryos would you average getting? How much to implant them in the recipient? What is the success rate on implants?

I would get a reproductive exam to make sure that she is still fertile (producing eggs). Do you have a good bovine veterinarian or University with a Veterinary program that you can take her to?

tom4018":28q90vdl said:
Curious about flushing and implanting embryos. How much does it typically cost to flush a cow? How many implantable embryos would you average getting? How much to implant them in the recipient? What is the success rate on implants?
I will dig up my price sheet for you later! :D

chippie":9kls0jlf said:
I would get a reproductive exam to make sure that she is still fertile (producing eggs). Do you have a good bovine veterinarian or University with a Veterinary program that you can take her to?
Yes Chippie. She is bred now and getting ready to calve. She did not have a problem producing eggs. They got over 20 last time. He said it was the semen. I have UCD teaching hospital plus an excellent Embryologist that lives just down the street. He does all my AI work. I met him after my bad experience in 2011.

good deal branguscowgirl.
I hope that you are successful with flushing her.
She is a nice cow and I can see why you want to do this.

chippie":1we2hx3n said:
good deal branguscowgirl.
I hope that you are successful with flushing her.
She is a nice cow and I can see why you want to do this.
Thanks Chippie! Her disposition is as good as she looks. You can imagine how she looked at 5 yrs old. :D No matter who she is bred to, her calves are as good or better than she is.

One of her daughters as a yearling.
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...-4814-b436-c9ee7f3f05d6_zps462beccd.jpg[/img][/url]
One of her sons as a yearling.
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/CattleSummer2013019_zpsaa377c7f.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/varies016_zps28932fb7.jpg[/img][/url]
This is another daughter that got too fat on air.................Yes she became barren, but I did get many calves out of her prior to that. She was a beaut when she was young!
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...s/LucyandMadge102012003_zpsb6d99b05.jpg[/img][/url]

WOW, that is FAT! I think that takes the cake for fattest cow I've ever seen... should have sent her for a vacation in texas for a while to shape her back up! (I know, round is a shape)