How much milk replacer should a week old calf get?

Help Support CattleToday:

GoWyo

Reaction score
My twin calf I kept off the cow and tried to graft to a half dried up heifer that lost her calf project didn't turn out. The heifer was mostly annoyed with the process and got to kicking the calf even though she would lick on him. So she will be a heiferette at the sale barn this week. I have been feeding the calf 3x per day and the last three or so days he gets a full two quart bottle each time. The milk replacer is Land O Lakes and calls for 12 oz. in 2 quarts of water, which I mix with about 3.5 pints of water to make a full bottle. He always acts hungry. He weighs about 70-75 lbs. now and is pretty active. How much should he be getting a day? I want to keep him going good. I have 5 cows left to calve and just holding him until they are calved out and will sell him if no need for a graft calf.

That's plenty for him to have. Most all dairies feed a 2 qt bottle 2 x a day and start to offer some calf starter from a few days to 2 weeks... each one is different. There are a few dairies that are feeding 3 qts twice a day... but 2 qts 3x a day is better for the calf. You can start offering some calf starter... it won't take away from it wanting the milk but will keep it growing.