How much rest?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
Say I've got 3 different herds of cattle. I'm going to put the bull in with the first herd (15 cows) about May 20th. Leave him for 2 months. I have another herd (15 cows) I'd like to breed August -October, and another herd of 18 to breed November-January. Will this be too much on him? He's 2.5 years old. My theory was he'd get the majority bred in the first month, then light duty clean up work on the second month then back to heavy usage for a month etc, so he'd be getting some rest before the move.

Sounds doable. Not too many ladies to court each time . Just make sure his feet are good and he's in good flesh . Are you going to feed him some good groceries on his rest times ?

Say I've got 3 different herds of cattle. I'm going to put the bull in with the first herd (15 cows) about May 20th. Leave him for 2 months. I have another herd (15 cows) I'd like to breed August -October, and another herd of 18 to breed November-January. Will this be too much on him? He's 2.5 years old. My theory was he'd get the majority bred in the first month, then light duty clean up work on the second month then back to heavy usage for a month etc, so he'd be getting some rest before the move.
I was short two bulls with the last one I bought, so I made do with one instead of two when I finally found one I liked. He covered 45 cows and bred them all in two months.

I figure he was very busy the first twenty days and settled most of them, and then had light duty after that as he cleaned up the rest.

I've always expected my bulls to work hard and I've had pretty good luck. If a bull looks like a bull it's likely he has some testosterone and will like the girls. I've been fooled a couple of times, so a bull in a two bull pasture had to take up the slack, but like I said, only working hard for 20 days. I figure if I could do it with a smile on my face, surely a bull could too.

Yeah. They all get grain daily, free choice mineral, and good pasture barring dry weather. Also I usually keep a round bale in front of them year round but summer consumption is usually slim to none. I currently have 2 bulls and would typically use the 2.5 year old on herds #1 and 3, and my older bull would be rotated between herd #2 and my dad's herd. Just thinking about selling the older one and looking for a yearling to 15 month old to raise into the next bull.

Perfectly doable if the weather doesn't get too hot and cause a lower sperm count... but agree he should get majority bred in first 30 days... in each place...

We figure 10 cows per year of age... so 25 cows in each group should be very easy .... therefore 15 should be a walk in the park if they are cycling.

Perfectly doable if the weather doesn't get too hot and cause a lower sperm count... but agree he should get majority bred in first 30 days... in each place...

We figure 10 cows per year of age... so 25 cows in each group should be very easy .... therefore 15 should be a walk in the park if they are cycling.
"10 cows per year of age." Lol

Last edited:
If he can't do it he needs to go to town.

If you buy a 15 month old now he can cover the middle group and let the 2.5 y/o do one and three. Give him some time to relax. Or, follow up with the young bull on each of the groups after 30-45 days, shouldn't be too much work for him.

Okay, my goof... I was thinking he said 2.5 years old... so x 10 = 25 cows? that would be 30 months so maybe 30 cows??? Maybe I need to quit while I am ahead ( or am I behind?) LOL...

Sounds good to me just feed him a little try to keep him in 5-6 body score not verry many girls so ull be ok.

Years ago before we got married my husband and I were friends. One summer day I was visiting the ranch and we were looking out over the pastures. There was a herd of heifers grazing and two black bulls lying under a tree. He said "I'm starting to worry about those heifer bulls. All I ever see them do is rest in the shade" Next time I came over the bulls were still resting in the shade. He mentioned "I needn't worry about those two black bulls. They work at night'.