How many weeks do you bottle feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

lukeduke4315

Reaction score
Looking for some advice.
When you are forced
To bottle feed newborns, how long on average do you feed them? Looking for number of weeks. Thank you

Assuming you are talking calves??? There are several members that have sheep or goats also...

Calves 8-12 weeks average... it depends on how much grain they are eating... and yes, they HAVE to have grain if they are going to be weaned off bottles... hay will not provide near enough protein and nutrition to get them to grow.

Not knowing where you are located... bottle calves are worth a small fortune in some areas... if it is not a registered calf you desperately want to keep, it might be much more economical to sell and let someone else have the privilege(aggravation) of bottle feeding... GOOD milk replacer... all MILK PROTEIN milk replacer ... NOT SOY BASED... is running $100 a 50 lb bag.... at least 1 bag minimum for 6-8 weeks feeding... I figure 2 bags on average... not counting the grain....

This winter had a group of dairy heifers on bottles and milk replacer. Gave them meal once a day, but they all ate a good amount of it. Kept most on milk replacer for good 3+ months, some reached 4 months. They all will be kept for breeding so want them grow fast.
A golden rule is 3months, so good 12 weeks, but plus meal. Just bottle isn't enough. I also added protein powder for calves into milk replacer to boost their growth and development.

Is this a calf that lost its mom, an unwanted twin, or something else? if the calf is with the rest of the herd, it will learn to rob off of other cows fairly quickly. often within 2 weeks and not even want the bottle. if bottle is only option, I start on an 18% calf starter. hand feed a little after feeding the bottle. fresh water and grasssy hay is a must also. I weaned at about 8 weeks or when they were eating feed good.

You're not gonna like my answer but if I end up with a bottle calf, it stays on the bottle until it's weaned with the other calves (appx. 6 months) or no longer wants the bottle. In which case, the calf has usually either been adopted by another cow or has mastered the art of robbing. BUT I have a beef cow/calf operation and ending up with a bottle calf is rare. @MurraysMutts is the master of bottle calves!

You're not gonna like my answer but if I end up with a bottle calf, it stays on the bottle until it's weaned with the other calves (appx. 6 months) or no longer wants the bottle. In which case, the calf has usually either been adopted by another cow or has mastered the art of robbing. BUT I have a beef cow/calf operation and ending up with a bottle calf is rare. @MurraysMutts is the master of bottle calves!
I've done that before as well!
They dooo grow better!!

They sold a couple in Winfield today.
Still too darn high!

Latest posts