How much is to much?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
A local hobby farmer rents a mini farm, but doesn't live there. Recently he bought a single cow. I think she stayed in over night. Found her walking down the middle of the highway. No other cows or fences for miles. Ended up roping her, loaded her on the trailer in the middle of a corn field. I had her at my place for a day and a half before the owner got a hold of me. Thanked me, gave me $50 for my trouble. He saw some of my cows and asked about my bulls and their availability. I told him my bulls were busy.
11:30 last night I got a call from the county Sheriff's office; cattle out on the highway. No one could find them last night. There's two cows now. Found them tonight. Ended up roping them, snubbed them to a couple trees, went and got the trailer, and hauled them back to my place. Called the owner, he didn't even know they were missing. I offered to keep them a couple days so he could get his fence fixed. He mentioned the bulls again and I got to thinking. I could put them in with my long horn/Corriente hfrs and bull. If I keep them and feed them for six weeks and let them play patty cake with my bull is $500 total to much to charge?
I could really care less about his hobby cows, but if I have them for six weeks, that will be six weeks that they stay off the highway.

Give him the opportunity to accept $400. cash for the two cows or pay you $500. upfront for breeding and feeding for six weeks.
If he wants to do neither give him the opportunity to make arrangements with the Sheriff's office. That is pretty close to how I
got into Corrientes.

I like the idea!

Couldn't tell ya about price. But sounds steep to me. And at the same time I'd want compensation as well. Perhaps yall will land on a price, and ya won't have to be doing his cattle rounding up for him.

Maybe he can get the fence fixed in the meantime.

As an aside, I assume u had to saddle your horse and all that comes with it. Probly be worth what he offers to not have to go thru all that again.

So a horse can handle a great big ol cow all by itself with a rope? Never seen it done. Just curious.

Last edited:
I like the idea!

Couldn't tell ya about price. But sounds steep to me. And at the same time I'd want compensation as well. Perhaps yall will land on a price, and ya won't have to be doing his cattle rounding up for him.

Maybe he can get the fence fixed in the meantime.

As an aside, I assume u had to saddle your horse and all that comes with it. Probly be worth what he offers to not have to go thru all that again.

So a horse can handle a great big ol cow all by itself with a rope? Never seen it done. Just curious.
Don't get any more horse ideas Murray.

Ken

Couldn't find the video I wanted, but yes a good cow horse can handle most cows. We used to have a pickup man at the rodeo who used a half draft blue down to rope and drag bulls out of the arena. Ol Blue probably weighed close to 1,400 so if the bull didn't get a chance to plant its feet it looked like an easy pull. Always loved to watch Bennie Jordan and that horse work.

These cows are pretty quiet. Ended up roping them on foot, which is harder than it sounds. ;)

A local hobby farmer rents a mini farm, but doesn't live there. Recently he bought a single cow. I think she stayed in over night. Found her walking down the middle of the highway. No other cows or fences for miles. Ended up roping her, loaded her on the trailer in the middle of a corn field. I had her at my place for a day and a half before the owner got a hold of me. Thanked me, gave me $50 for my trouble. He saw some of my cows and asked about my bulls and their availability. I told him my bulls were busy.
11:30 last night I got a call from the county Sheriff's office; cattle out on the highway. No one could find them last night. There's two cows now. Found them tonight. Ended up roping them, snubbed them to a couple trees, went and got the trailer, and hauled them back to my place. Called the owner, he didn't even know they were missing. I offered to keep them a couple days so he could get his fence fixed. He mentioned the bulls again and I got to thinking. I could put them in with my long horn/Corriente hfrs and bull. If I keep them and feed them for six weeks and let them play patty cake with my bull is $500 total to much to charge?
I could really care less about his hobby cows, but if I have them for six weeks, that will be six weeks that they stay off the highway.
I charge $250 per head to catch cows for people. So far, he would owe me $750 minus the $50 he already gave you. $500 is NOT too much to ask.

Dam, :unsure:
be to his advantage to give you the cow after six weeks.....

You won't know, til you ask. I'd ask if I could take them to the sale or $500 for using your bull and keeping them.
Let us know what happens.

Okay, say he agrees to the $500 for 6 weeks feed, bull service to breed them.... on top of the good neighbor stuff now of a 2nd rope/catch, trailer and keep in a holding pen... then what happens if the fence fixing is half-a$$ed... and you go through this again..... I think that you are more than fair to make that proposal.... and the next time they get out, let the sheriff deal with them.....cattle do not just get out because they are looking for some "bovine romance" although that is a good excuse for them to go roaming....if the fences are that bad then they will get out again, and the owner needs to get hit legally. All depends on what your fence laws are there too. At least the sheriff's dept is aware of what is going on.

what happens if the fence fixing is half-a$$ed... and you go through this again.....
If there is a 3rd time I'll call him after I drop them off at the sale barn.
It's pretty obvious that this guy doesn't have a lot of money. I doubt he has insurance. If some one hits one on the highway and gets killed it will make all of us good full time producers look bad.

He apparently doesn't know he has a headache yet!
This.
Let him have to catch his cows, if he does it one time he will probably fix his fence or sell his cows.
I just got done dealing with something like this and didn't get paid anything, actually I lost. I had to feed 7 pairs for about 2 months.

This.
Let him have to catch his cows, if he does it one time he will probably fix his fence or sell his cows.
I just got done dealing with something like this and didn't get paid anything, actually I lost. I had to feed 7 pairs for about 2 months.
Screw that! On a totally different deal I just got done catching eleven HD for a guy. It was a project. Had to take my corral. They all went to the sale barn and I took half the check. IMG_20221020_180349.jpg
I would have sold the guys cows in his name and taken my expenses out.

Latest posts