how much to pay

Help Support CattleToday:

kind of like asking " how long is a piece of string" - are you a purebred breeder, commercial cattleman, show guy ? all will have a bearing on what you will be looking for and how much you might need to pay.

goddy":2y7jmau5 said:
kind of like asking " how long is a piece of string" - are you a purebred breeder, commercial cattleman, show guy ? all will have a bearing on what you will be looking for and how much you might need to pay.
And more than that, how he looks his bloodlines and EPDs. A good bull is going to cost between $2500-$5500

Isomade":3ghctmbr said:
goddy":3ghctmbr said:
And more than that, how he looks his bloodlines and EPDs. A good bull is going to cost between $2500-$5500
Yep I bought one 2 weeks ago ..

Oldtimers rule of thumb.... you can pay the price of 6 weaners for a bull for commercial use.

you just have to check an see if any hereford bulls are for sale in your area an what they want for them.i know a hereford breeder close to me that wants $1200 for his reg bulls.

ALACOWMAN":3hmkou8h said:
KNERSIE":3hmkou8h said:
Oldtimers rule of thumb.... you can pay the price of 6 weaners for a bull for commercial use.
probabaly cut that in half here now...

I wish I could convince everybody else in the operation that we should/could spend that much on one. It does tend to get old finding bulls that fit what your trying to do and then having to settle for something your not really in love with.

ISO is real close. A good bull is going to run 2500-5500. Last yr the hereford bulls at our bullsale avg. around 4000. Just to give you an idea..

depends on what you mean by good bull; last week i looked at a couple registered limosines @ $1500 each/15 months old. they were real fine bulls and definatly what i would classify as "good".........i don't know if the herefords are running more, but i would look around a little bit before buying a high dollar bull, you may not need one, just sayin.......

What would three 800 lb steers be worth that is a good rule of thumb. Some people who are selling for 1200 - 1500 have no idea what thier costs are or I need to move next to them. Yearlings in our area private treaty are 2500 - 3600. When an old cull bull brings 2000 I think you could add a little more for newer genetics. They are half of your herd genetically.

BC":3lz8dohc said:
I saw a packer bull bring $1.10 per lb today at Corsicana Livestock. Bull weighed 2035 lbs.
thats 1 heck of a price for an old cull bull.ive got 5yr an a 4yr old that i need to sale hope they do that good when i get to it.i hope they bring enough to buy back a bull.

Latest posts