How much do you know about Coyote?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I saw some " pups" on the river today. I think. I saw a large black dog?...........which is why I think the little animals might have been pups. That don't line up with what I know about Coyote. These pups were too small......for January. I think. When do Coyote have litters? Thanks in advance.

If we knew your location it would be easier to answer questions.

Their breeding season is between January and March, but differs in different parts of the country from what I read.

Kingfisher":jot62yh2 said:
I saw some " pups" on the river today. I think. I saw a large black dog?...........which is why I think the little animals might have been pups. That don't line up with what I know about Coyote. These pups were too small......for January. I think. When do Coyote have litters? Thanks in advance.

Just did a search, and most sites stated that their breeding period is January through March. Perhaps what you saw was a feral dog with pups?

cfpinz":3fn9ocmy said:

Their breeding season is between January and March, but differs in different parts of the country from what I read.
Sorry Ill fix that tomorrow in my profile. Central Texas. I didn't see a feral dog................:)

Seems like every time I go fishing down down on the river here, I see a mama dog and pups. I think some people believe the humane thing to do with a unwanted litter of dogs is to take them to the river and drop them off. I have seen some but ugly dogs down there but that may have been caused by the :drink: while fishing. :nod:

upfrombottom":16sr4b2f said:
I have seen some but ugly dogs down there but that may have been caused by the :drink: while fishing. :nod:

Back in my single days, I saw plenty of butt ugly women that looked pretty good at the time, mostly because of those same spirits you mentioned. :drink:

That far south it wouldn't surprise me for it to be a yote and pups, she might not know when she's supposed to be in season - never seen one that could read.

cfpinz":1rxo6qvl said:
upfrombottom":1rxo6qvl said:
I have seen some but ugly dogs down there but that may have been caused by the :drink: while fishing. :nod:

Back in my single days, I saw plenty of butt ugly women that looked pretty good at the time, mostly because of those same spirits you mentioned. :drink:

Did you drop them off at the river the next a.m. too??

backhoeboogie":3dcl7aop said:
cfpinz":3dcl7aop said:
upfrombottom":3dcl7aop said:

When he woke up with on laying on his arm he probably gnawed off his arm rather then wake her up

The normal breeding time may be in the winter with a 9 week gestation period but nature doesn't adhere to strict rules when it comes to propagation. Coyotes are supposed to be monogomous for life but they have been known to breed with dogs so I don't know how this plays out. Had she lost her litter she could have bred late like other wildlife. I've seen young pups in October and November but I can't say they were 100% pure but they did look it.

dun":1d3ql2j5 said:
backhoeboogie":1d3ql2j5 said:
cfpinz":1d3ql2j5 said:

When he woke up with on laying on his arm he probably gnawed off his arm rather then wake her up

Hence the term "Coyote Ugly"!

One good thing about dating ugly a women is: The uglier they are the less you have to worry about someone messing around with them when your gone.

upfrombottom":114oubep said:
One good thing about dating ugly a women is: The uglier they are the less you have to worry about someone messing around with them when your gone.

Ever wonder what these women have to say about you? I'm just sayin'...

Alice

Kingfisher":pc5f3cfp said:
cfpinz":pc5f3cfp said:

Sorry Ill fix that tomorrow in my profile. Central Texas. I didn't see a feral dog................:)

You stated in your original post that you saw a large black dog. Feral is a term for a dog that has been dumped, and subsequently became wild. It is possible that what you saw was that dogs pups because, at least in this area, coyotes are not usually black. I don't know about other areas, though.

msscamp":3l4526w7 said:
It is possible that what you saw was that dogs pups because, at least in this area, coyotes are not usually black. I don't know about other areas, though.

I see coyotes a lot in this part of Texas. Never seen a black one here either.

Latest posts