How much do you know about Coyote?

Help Support CattleToday:

upfrombottom":3memxpnc said:
One good thing about dating ugly a women is: The uglier they are the less you have to worry about someone messing around with them when your gone.

Wouldn't that rule depend on the number of illegal aliens in your area?

backhoeboogie":2znkni3b said:
msscamp":2znkni3b said:
It is possible that what you saw was that dogs pups because, at least in this area, coyotes are not usually black. I don't know about other areas, though.

I see coyotes a lot in this part of Texas. Never seen a black one here either.

There's a black one that frequents our farm, had him in the scope Christmas morning at 3am but I thought it was the neighbor's lab. There's another black one that a friend of mine has seen at his farm on seperate occasions, he's about an hour from here.

cfpinz":bp6a4aop said:
backhoeboogie":bp6a4aop said:
msscamp":bp6a4aop said:
It is possible that what you saw was that dogs pups because, at least in this area, coyotes are not usually black. I don't know about other areas, though.

I see coyotes a lot in this part of Texas. Never seen a black one here either.

There's a black one that frequents our farm, had him in the scope Christmas morning at 3am but I thought it was the neighbor's lab. There's another black one that a friend of mine has seen at his farm on seperate occasions, he's about an hour from here.
I would almost bet they're coydogs rather then pure coyote.

I think there are a lot of flukes in nature such as pie ball deer. Coyotes are supposed to weigh between 15-45 lbs but here is one we shot that was well outside this range. She was definitely healthy but she also could have been a coydog.

IMG_1709d.jpg

This one was shot in the same field a few days later and is more typical to what we see.

IMG_1712d.jpg

dun":1g886gm4 said:
cfpinz":1g886gm4 said:

I'd just as soon they be dead as anything.

cfpinz":1r1mcbse said:
dun":1r1mcbse said:
cfpinz":1r1mcbse said:

I'd just as soon they be dead as anything.

You took the words out of my mouth. Not many animals that I hate but that's one of em.

msscamp":2h6kx3jy said:
Kingfisher":2h6kx3jy said:
I saw some " pups" on the river today. I think. I saw a large black dog?...........which is why I think the little animals might have been pups. That don't line up with what I know about Coyote. These pups were too small......for January. I think. When do Coyote have litters? Thanks in advance.

Just did a search, and most sites stated that their breeding period is January through March. Perhaps what you saw was a feral dog with pups?

Don't know about ya'll but from what I've seen around here, I'm fed up with wild dogs. Just had a neighbor loose a new calf to a pack of dogs. I've seen the same pack chasing a coyote and a white tail buck.

SSS takes care of dogs like nothing else. Coyotes are all around my cattle and have never been an issue. The more rats they eat, the better things are. A pack of dogs on the other hand is more trouble and a dozen packs coyotes.

SSS? Sorry its probably blatantly obvious but I don't get it. :oops:
Luckily we don't have wild dogs around here. Maybe a stray here and there but never that are any problem and certainly never any packs. I can imagine the headache they would be though because I bet they don't have the fear that the coyotes have. Are you allowed to shoot them like you can another animal that is threatening your stock? The ones around here are starting to get braver and that's what bothers me. Then of course whenever dad takes the gun out he can never find them. :roll:

Kingfisher":28k351yx said:
Wewild":28k351yx said:
dun":28k351yx said:

Probably. The first one is a mix.

What happen to the dog in the last picture? Is that dog trapped?

It does appear to be caught in a leg trap. I'm not entirely sure it is a dog, but I could be wrong on that. What happens to it depends on how long it takes the trapper to check his traps, and on the trapper himself.

msscamp":qq7vepwt said:
It does appear to be caught in a leg trap. I'm not entirely sure it is a dog, but I could be wrong on that. What happens to it depends on how long it takes the trapper to check his traps, and on the trapper himself.

Your right it wasn't a dog. None of them were dogs.

I've heard that coyote and wolf will cross in the wild,giveing you a bigger animal. May be what that 1st one is.

Does anyone watch Maneaters on Animal Planet? Last night's show was about wolves and coyotes. Guess they are a huge problem in urban areas too, some of them have even attacked children.

Latest posts