How long to leave bull on small group of cows

Help Support CattleToday:

If you want a tight calving window then 60 days. I don't mind stragglers so we put the bulls in at one time and leave them 8-9 months. The majority of the herd breeds back in 60 days. Basically we have 75-80 that calve in the Spring and 20-25 that calve late summer to early fall.

Depends on your goals & operation. Do you have just the 8 cows? I turn out the bulls in the central pasture with the cows for appx 90 days. Calving starts toward the end of Feb, most have calved by the end of April but there's always a couple stragglers. I pull the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning (so the heifer calves don't get bred) and move them with the retained heifers & their bull in another pasture. Spring calving, one 'n done.

TCRanch said:
Depends on your goals & operation. Do you have just the 8 cows? I turn out the bulls in the central pasture with the cows for appx 90 days. Calving starts toward the end of Feb, most have calved by the end of April but there's always a couple stragglers. I pull the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning (so the heifer calves don't get bred) and move them with the retained heifers & their bull in another pasture. Spring calving, one 'n done.

They the only ones on this place

76 Bar said:
10 acres or 10,000? PT sale e.g. verified history or via auction e.g. buyer beware ? Age of cows? Etc.

2 year old bull
6 3 year olds
1 4 year old
1 6 year old
These are all corriente cows and a corriente bull on good fertilizer Bermuda/Baha'i/ native pasture and mineral the 2 pair are barn cows others I bought of a local fella

Leave the bull in until preg check. Cull those cows who did not breed within 60 days. Long breeding season, short calving season. Burke Teichert. Google him.

Son of Butch said:
63 or 84 days .... if the reason you are asking is you're renting the bull or want to sell him.

Good to see you back on the boards, Butch

If you own the bull, then leave in with the herd all year except the 2-3 months they start calving until you want to start breading. You can always have preg. checked for ones that didn't get bred in your window. Or sell any that haven't calved 3 months after the herd starts calving. We start calving in April on 30 cow herd. The bulls stay with the cows all summer, fall, and winter, and are separated when the first calves arrives until July 1st. It's easier not having to feed an extra couple head separately.

My bull stays with the cows year round. My calving window isn't as tight as I would like, but my cows are just a part time hobby, so it doesn't really bother me if I have to hold a calf or two back to sale at a later time. I'm seriously considering holding off when I change bulls so that my window gets tighter in the next coulple years.

anewcomer said:
Leave the bull in until preg check. Cull those cows who did not breed within 60 days. Long breeding season, short calving season. Burke Teichert. Google him.

This is what i do, a good quality young short bred cow can usually be sold well over kill price.

WFfarm said:
If you own the bull, then leave in with the herd all year except the 2-3 months they start calving until you want to start breading. You can always have preg. checked for ones that didn't get bred in your window. Or sell any that haven't calved 3 months after the herd starts calving. We start calving in April on 30 cow herd. The bulls stay with the cows all summer, fall, and winter, and are separated when the first calves arrives until July 1st. It's easier not having to feed an extra couple head separately.

Yup, that's what I do, my bulls seem to be calmer when they live with the herd.. I also usually know which ones might be a bit later, and I'll leave them with the bull(s) while most of the herd calves and pull them out gradually.. they don't seem to make as much of a fuss about it that way. My bulls seem to be fine around the babies, most of them are used to being chored with babysitting duty

I am a big believer in a short calving season but its not a big deal if it ain't. Depends on the operation. When I bought this place four years ago it screwed up everything I had going. First I had to sell two places to buy it, which meant consolidating two herds with different calving periods and I also need to change the main calving period from winter to fall to better match the environment.
As a result my calving period has about half in the first 45 days with another 1/4 in the next 45 days and the rest a few weeks after that. Add in the fact of new cows coming into the herd sometimes makes things somewhat wacky and adds a few more to the last group. Sale barn vets are not very accurate sometimes. So what I have done is gone to weaning calves every 45 days or so which matches the time of rotation through my 9 pastures. When they come around to the pasture with the pens, the calves 6 1/2 to 8 months old get weaned.

From there they go to the precondition group after biggest trailer load from that group are removed to sell. Yes its a little more work but since I am a one man operation, it actually works to the better. I can sort from the herd and work 25 or so in about three hours. After the first group, I always have some long weaned calves to turn the new ones into. They transition from the fence line wean to the pasture and feed bunks very easily when the calves there already know the ropes. It also spreads out my sell dates to even out the seasonal pricing fluctuations. Since I also have a smaller group of spring calvers at another place, the whole process goes on from the first weaning in March to the last sale of precondition calves in December.

So do what works best for you even if it doesn't match what the experts say.

Latest posts