How do you call the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a black Silverado 4X4 truck. My neighbor drives a black GMC of the same age that appears almost identical. Both of us regularly drive along a mile of county road that borders my farm.
The cows ignore my neighbors truck completely, however, they all raise their heads when I drive by on the same road. If hungry they follow along the fenceline.
I have often wondered was it the sound (probably) or the smell (less likely) that allowed them to distinguish them.

Occasionally I've named a cow for one reason or another. One of the first names was Beulah. So Beulah stuck as the cattle call. It's easy to make it, "Beuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulaaaah!"

I had a big hill behind the house in Arkansas and the cows liked it on the top in the summer. I'd call them down and it would take them some time, but eventually they would come running down the hill, bucking and cavorting like a bunch of calves. There's nothing in the world like watching a two thousand pound, white/cream Chianina jumping around like a youngster and sliding to a stop within a couple of feet... followed by the rest of the herd acting like idiots.
I remember calling my cows into a new pasture, steep downhill, then through a gate.. My 2400 lb bull Hector came just BARRELLING down that hill right at me.. I stood there and about 5 feet in front of me he turned to the side

My cow call is "Moogy moogy moogy", but I think a lot of my younger cows might not know it, haven't needed to call them, they hear the quad and that's enough to get them all stirred up

I drive a black Silverado 4X4 truck. My neighbor drives a black GMC of the same age that appears almost identical. Both of us regularly drive along a mile of county road that borders my farm.
The cows ignore my neighbors truck completely, however, they all raise their heads when I drive by on the same road. If hungry they follow along the fenceline.
I have often wondered was it the sound (probably) or the smell (less likely) that allowed them to distinguish them.
My cows like old dodge diesels.. but I do think they can tell my trucks apart from my friends trucks

My cows like old dodge diesels.. but I do think they can tell my trucks apart from my friends trucks
Absolutely Nesi, they know the different tones of like vehicles, similar colour and shape, maybe it is how you drive it as well.
If I get a new vehicle it only takes them a couple of days to switch over to the new one.

Ken

When I was a child we always called in the milk cows by calling out "Come Boss". It sounded more like K Bahhhhss. The Boss was loud and drawn out. I was probably over 10 before I even knew we were saying "Come Boss". It seemed like most of the other farmers in the county used that same call, at least my extended family all used the same one. In those days, rural Minnesota was mostly small family farms. You could raise a family on 160 acres milking cows, growing crops and raising a few pigs and chickens.

I still use that same call today, and the cows will come in from a great distance. We seldom need to herd them, because that call means there will most likely be food, and they will follow us almost anywhere.

How do you call in your cows?
We call them by their name. Of course, they are Texas Longhorns, smarter than the average bear!!

Attachments

• Lady at Arena 1.jpg
    Lady at Arena 1.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 16
You'd be surprised.

Ken
The day I took that picture there was 4 cows in that canyon. They were all in the bottom of the canyon where that longest shaded draw runs. That would be nearly a mile from where I was standing and behind a ridge, maybe 2 ridges.

The day I took that picture there was 4 cows in that canyon. They were all in the bottom of the canyon where that longest shaded draw runs. That would be nearly a mile from where I was standing and behind a ridge, maybe 2 ridges.
Even if they heard ya, they probly wouldn't care huh! 🤣

Shout as loud as you can. I doubt any of them will hear you.

View attachment 29461
Our ranch has slightly steeper topography and a lot more trees. They don't always hear us, but I keep driving down through the valleys calling until one does. As soon as one hears us, she will begin calling out to the calves and then you know it is only a matter of time before they will begin to appear. It may be another 10 minutes or more after you hear the first one answer, but once they hear you, the entire herd begins to assemble and move in our direction. You definitely would be amazed at what they can hear. I have been down in the valley by the cows when my husband starts the ATV a mile and a half away up on the ridge where our house is located. The cows will look in that direction and I am wondering what they are focused on. 15 minutes later, he shows up on the ATV.

When we first moved here, I would ride one of the horses to check cows. It took a lot longer and It was sometimes impossible to even find them when they were tucked up in the trees in some little valley. I admit it was more fun, but it sure is faster and easier to just drive along calling until they find you.

If it's cows, c'mon mamas here here here, but the here sounds more like hyea, or c'mon girls here here here. If it's feeders c'mon on cattle here here here or c'mon boys and girls. Our German exchange student thought it was the funniest thing ever to hear me calling up cows, in fact she had to make a video of it for her memories. She has been back in Germany now for 7 months and I was texting her the other day and she was asking what animals have been added to the farm since she left and I told her some mama cows and she replied with my cow call and laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts