How about these? - Herf and angus bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm a huge advocate for crossbreeding! That is the only way to use herefords. Yes they will add pounds, any F1's will. If your calves are bring more at your local auction, then yes , you should be using them. In the midwest you can't hardly give hereford babies away. I run a feedlot, of some size, and I would never buy a truck load!! Unless your in a branded program, packers arent going to pay top dollar for them. Every breed has its advantage, even herefords, but those advantages fit in only a select few situations. I used hereford bulls on my so called sorry black cows, for several years, thinking I would get this so called super baldy cow. I will tell you those cows that are left are 5 to 7 yr old, and I am trying to clean them out. Prolapse, yup- Pinkeye, check- Lazy mothers, you got it. Docile yes- good teats and above average udders yes. Breed back timely- not so much. Calf growth, vigor, and thickness- so.so... I wanted great cows, I dont' care about color- I went with red angus.

goodbeef":2mjnlk1b said:
I'm a huge advocate for crossbreeding! That is the only way to use herefords. Yes they will add pounds, any F1's will. If your calves are bring more at your local auction, then yes , you should be using them. In the midwest you can't hardly give hereford babies away. I run a feedlot, of some size, and I would never buy a truck load!! Unless your in a branded program, packers arent going to pay top dollar for them. Every breed has its advantage, even herefords, but those advantages fit in only a select few situations. I used hereford bulls on my so called sorry black cows, for several years, thinking I would get this so called super baldy cow. I will tell you those cows that are left are 5 to 7 yr old, and I am trying to clean them out. Prolapse, yup- Pinkeye, check- Lazy mothers, you got it. Docile yes- good teats and above average udders yes. Breed back timely- not so much. Calf growth, vigor, and thickness- so.so...

I wanted great cows,

I dont' care about color- I went with red angus.
You have to have good cows and a great bull to get your superbaldies as you call them.
breed average to average and you get average.

Glade to hear your not on the black bull band wagon. More of them need to be cut and end up in your feedlot. Red angus has a lot to offer.

Maybe you should buy a truck load. They have a certified Hereford beef sale at carthage ILL every year,might want to check it out.

Also I do sell my calves in the midwest. They have been selling just fine.And yes It may be a hobbie but I take it very seriously.

As for both bulls posted they are average to maybe a little above but they are what they are, hard to tell from one or two pics.

goodbeef":1qmk2n7i said:
I'm a huge advocate for crossbreeding! That is the only way to use herefords. Yes they will add pounds, any F1's will. If your calves are bring more at your local auction, then yes , you should be using them. In the midwest you can't hardly give hereford babies away. I run a feedlot, of some size, and I would never buy a truck load!! Unless your in a branded program, packers arent going to pay top dollar for them. Every breed has its advantage, even herefords, but those advantages fit in only a select few situations. I used hereford bulls on my so called sorry black cows, for several years, thinking I would get this so called super baldy cow. I will tell you those cows that are left are 5 to 7 yr old, and I am trying to clean them out. Prolapse, yup- Pinkeye, check- Lazy mothers, you got it. Docile yes- good teats and above average udders yes. Breed back timely- not so much. Calf growth, vigor, and thickness- so.so... I wanted great cows, I dont' care about color- I went with red angus.

What was the breeding on the bulls you used. I like to keep track of such things.

Brian

Latest posts