How about these? - Herf and angus bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Here are a few shots of a bull that just came back from test. He is a March 17, 2009 baby. I think he did pretty decent ratioing a 109 for the test against 16 other bulls from what I would call the 2 best known hereford herds in the state.

Here are his stats:
Adj BW: 92
Adj WW: 637
Adj WW: 1207
Yr FS: 6.4
ADG on test: 4.11
Adj REA: 14.97
Adj IMF: 3.01
Pelvic: 190 cm
Yr SC: 34
RFI: -3.31

15W-LSide.jpg

15W-RSide.jpg

15W-LSide2.jpg

15W-Face.jpg

And one for posterity. My brother's Angus bull came off test the same time. A Hyline Right Time 338 son.

338bull.jpg

A couple more, mainly for Rich, if he's still out there.

A daughter of 70N. Not a flashy gal but is raising a real nice Logic calf for her first go round.

08U.jpg

A Farley daughter out of the same cow as the bull above. That's her 3 day old 70N heifer calf at side.

07U.jpg

Another Farley daughter out of a 29F cow. That is her second calf at side - a bull by 70N.

01S.jpg

C'mon Knersie, I know you have more to say than that.

It must be a slow night. After the last bull I posted, I assumed there would be some "better" or "worse" comments.

El_Putzo":15c88cmp said:
C'mon Knersie, I know you have more to say than that.

It must be a slow night. After the last bull I posted, I assumed there would be some "better" or "worse" comments.

They're both good looking bulls. I did wish you had posted the performance info on the Angus one like you did the Hereford. Were they tested together or by breed?

Both of these bulls are better than average by a long shot! The Hereford has good loin, as Knersie says, reasonably level top line, a fair length of rump, a long body for good capacity for producing replacement heifers. He seems a little restricted behind the shoulders (I won't criticize him as being 'pinched in the heart girth' yet), but he might be a little "open-shouldered". Is that condition a "Rose by any other name?" I would prefer him to be a little deeper bodied to compliment the length for 'capacity' purposes.

The Angus bull is shorter bodied than the Hereford, but deeper and seemingly thicker. He has a GREAT loin, particularly for his age, also showing mature masculinity. Great legs and smooth joint lines and shoulder blending into his body.

These are two high quality bulls! Crossing their daughters onto the OTHER bull should produce knock-out baldy cows! Knersie can comment more about the head and eye qualities on the Hereford than I can. I would like to know the 'specifications' on the Angus bull.

DOC HARRIS

Stats on the angus bull:

Reg # 16393012
http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... A0SA%3d%3d

Adj BW: 85
Adj WW: 692
Adj WW: 1178
Yr FS: 5.8
ADG on test: 3.04
Adj REA: 14.3
Adj IMF: 4.63
Pelvic: 180 cm
Yr SC: 38
RFI: -.99

These 2 bulls were tested with other bulls of their respective breeds, not together. The angus bull only ratio'd 94 although I thought he did decent other than the ADG which was mediocre. It was funny because we weighed both of these bulls at home the day we delivered them to the test station. The actual test didn't start for about 30 days and the Angus bull had gained over 4 lbs per day before the test, but kind of hit a wall on the test. My bull was just the opposite, pretest my bull was gaining less than 2 lbs per day, but for the actual test period, he ended up gaining over 4 lbs per day.

Also, here is a link to my hereford:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2&9=5E5A5E

El_Putzo said:
Here are a few shots of a bull that just came back from test. He is a March 17, 2009 baby. I think he did pretty decent ratioing a 109 for the test against 16 other bulls from what I would call the 2 best known hereford herds in the state.

Here are his stats:
Adj BW: 92
Adj WW: 637
Adj WW: 1207
Yr FS: 6.4
ADG on test: 4.11
Adj REA: 14.97
Adj IMF: 3.01
Pelvic: 190 cm
Yr SC: 34
RFI: -3.31

Hi. Thanks for your post. I'm hoping you will answer a couple of questions and or point me toward some resources. What does
a" test" like this cost? How does that work? Is it something that's included in the " price" of the bull? What is the motive for doing this? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":1q227wmk said:
Hi. Thanks for your post. I'm hoping you will answer a couple of questions and or point me toward some resources. What does
a" test" like this cost? How does that work? Is it something that's included in the " price" of the bull? What is the motive for doing this? Thanks in advance.

The particular test that this bull came off of is at Green Springs near Nevada MO. Green Springs tests for ADG (average daily gain) and feed efficiency among many other things. Here is a link to their website:
http://www.greenspringsbulltest.com/

Costs vary from year to year depending on feed costs. The first 2 bulls I took to Green Springs cost me approximately $850 a piece to test. Of course that is counting the trips to get them there and home and back again on sale day when fuel was about $4 a gallon. Corn was also about $7 at the time.

I'm just guestimating from figures in my head, but I think this one cost me about $650 to test.

Performance testing has been around for quite sometime although I am somewhat new to it also. Breeders performance test their animals to find out what kind of animals they are raising whether that be on a grass test or a grain test. It gives the breeder information to help him improve his herd in future generations and also gives a bull buyer a lot of information to help him/her to make a good decision when purchasing a bull.

Not sure what exactly you mean by whether it is included in the price. I'm guessing that you mean "do you have to pay extra for a performance tested bull"? The answer is: not necessarily. I would think any breeder who performance tests would at least want to recoup their costs for the testing but that may not make that bull any more expensive than a bull that has not been performance tested. It just depends on the breeder.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the additional info on the Angus bull. Will these bulls be used in-herd or will they be sold? Does the test have a bull sale?

Good morning. Yes it does help! Thanks alot for your time. I did a little research on my own last night but really
didn't answer a couple of other questions. What do the abbreviations mean on the test? Are some of these
tests performed with ultra sound? Thanks in advance.

I dont normally comment on pics. One they are pictures, and I have seen alot of cattle in person, and those same cattle in pics, and you wouldn't guess they were the same animal, some better in person some much worse. Second I don't like to critisize someone pastion and hard work. Breeding your cattle up can take a very long time, I know! That said, I must feel confruntatonal today because I am going to speak my mind. Those animals aren't very good, matter of fact they all should have bean in the feedlot somewhere in their lives. I am not a Hereford guy so that doesn't help. I know this is a Hereford humping forum, but what is it that the Hereford people love about that breed. I would have to assume many people that have the red and whites are hobby folks?? That said, I have seen some very good, amazingly stout, and rugged horned Herefords, but don't see alot of those same characteristics in the polled. I could keep going ,but should probably stop before I affend to many more people.

goodbeef":3u9hmbl3 said:
I dont normally comment on pics. One they are pictures, and I have seen alot of cattle in person, and those same cattle in pics, and you wouldn't guess they were the same animal, some better in person some much worse. Second I don't like to critisize someone pastion and hard work. Breeding your cattle up can take a very long time, I know! That said, I must feel confruntatonal today because I am going to speak my mind. Those animals aren't very good, matter of fact they all should have bean in the feedlot somewhere in their lives. I am not a Hereford guy so that doesn't help. I know this is a Hereford humping forum, but what is it that the Hereford people love about that breed. I would have to assume many people that have the red and whites are hobby folks?? That said, I have seen some very good, amazingly stout, and rugged horned Herefords, but don't see alot of those same characteristics in the polled. I could keep going ,but should probably stop before I affend to many more people.

You can't base your opinion of a breed on one animal.... If you look around you can find quality in both horned and polled herefords.

goodbeef":3glmokj5 said:

How old are you if I may ask?

Old enough to have an opinion. I thought some of those comments might stir alittle emotion. All breeds have thier good and bad, and if I had to I would use herefords before many other breeds, but if you sell herefords what is your selling point?? Beyond docility. A pure hereford calf, or one that even looks that way will be the lowest price lots anywhere you go. That is alot to make up for, for any salesman. Also for those concerned about mature size, in the latest MARC research hereford cows now have the largest mature weight of any of the popular breeds. If you take the averages you have the largest cows, producing the least productive calves by sale price. If your not selling seedstock, and your not a hobby farmer, why would you use herefords??? Sell me!

goodbeef":1ybpu714 said:
Old enough to have an opinion. I thought some of those comments might stir alittle emotion. All breeds have thier good and bad, and if I had to I would use herefords before many other breeds, but if you sell herefords what is your selling point?? Beyond docility. A pure hereford calf, or one that even looks that way will be the lowest price lots anywhere you go. That is alot to make up for, for any salesman. Also for those concerned about mature size, in the latest MARC research hereford cows now have the largest mature weight of any of the popular breeds. If you take the averages you have the largest cows, producing the least productive calves by sale price. If your not selling seedstock, and your not a hobby farmer, why would you use herefords??? Sell me!

Mature cow size is something that you can select for or against. There are bulls in the breed that can raise or lower frame, you just have to identify those that are proven to do so. I agree with you that if you don't take a pot belly truck load of hereford calves to most sale barns then you will be docked heavily, but most states now have Hereford influenced feeder calf sales; kind of like a CPH-45 thing (southern pride further south?) I don't know where you are in the world but Tenn. has been doing this for a number of years and those calves bring above the market prices for that week and usually month. Ky just recently followed suit and I believe all saw it as a great success.

I won't comment on the Herf bull, as I know little to nothing about the breed. But for my taste, the Angus bull looks like he has decent muscle. My main fault with him is his topline. He seems to roll up (which could just be the way he's standing). His EPD's look decent, but once again just my opinion, I tend to favor bulls that are more cow makers.

I should have started a new post about the herefords, i may have got a few more responses, and maybe not. I felt like a little debate today. One of the fun things about the cattle industry is all of the difference in opinion. That is also one of the largest challenges we face, besides all of those damn activists and the uneducated public. I recieved exactly the kind of responses I thought I might. If I challenge individual animals of a breed, the breed enthusiests out there challange me to the breed averages and standards. If I challange the breed standards and averages the breed enthusiests counter with great individual animals. It all makes me chuckle a bit!

goodbeef":3qasar1h said:
I should have started a new post about the herefords, i may have got a few more responses, and maybe not. I felt like a little debate today. One of the fun things about the cattle industry is all of the difference in opinion. That is also one of the largest challenges we face, besides all of those be nice activists and the uneducated public. I recieved exactly the kind of responses I thought I might. If I challenge individual animals of a breed, the breed enthusiests out there challange me to the breed averages and standards. If I challange the breed standards and averages the breed enthusiests counter with great individual animals. It all makes me chuckle a bit!

So you brought it on just for shyts and grins?

goodbeef":29vo848m said:

With the nations cowherd primarily black why wouldnt you use a hereford to add pounds to the calves.

Oh yea, they have a white face and get pink eye, daughters prolapse, and you cant find a good bull. :roll:

And my hereford calves outsold my blacks last fall by .10 so I guess I will keep raiseing these easy to work with, hard doing, prolapsing, pink-eye infected herefords.

Might want to have another look around your part of the world before you say that you cant be sold on herefords. What is their to NOT GAIN by using a hereford bull on your sorry blacks that you have to help the calf get started on mom?