House Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Hubby did not come to bed til 2am. Turns out he was building the first cabinet for my kitchen! Will have to go up and get a picture of it! :banana: :banana: :banana:
It is the bottom corner one. He is going to build them all and then we are going to put the flooring down and then we are going to put them in!

I luv herfrds":qwkij549 said:
So no comments on hubby cabinets? He got another cabinet done today.
Same wood we used on ours, though I didn't do the work myself. Hubby is a talented man.

I have birch cabinets too-Baltic. Used only sanding sealer on them. I may even live long enough to build the island that I left off till the end and never did before we moved in.

He is facing them with maple. Keeps trying to talk me into doing cherry, but I like maple. :D

Friend was out and penciled out the tile pattern for the master bath and started putting it up on the wall.
I was trying to decide if I was going to leave the bathroom door unstained or stain it. I did a test on the part of the frame that would be hidden and loved the way it brought all the wood grain popping out so going to stain all the doors.

BB I picked the door. That type door is going to go through out the house. It is knotty alder. Stained it with the stain color he used on the trim and it just made the wood grain just pop out.
Working on the cabinet for the sink. I had to get the dimensions of the sink I want.

Thanks Jo!
All the doors will hopefully look like that!
Plan to put our brands on the bedroom doors! Think of how neat that will look.

The cabinets look good, very professional. Love the stain on the door, not too dark, not too light and really shows off the wood grain. And that tile, it looks like something you would see in a luxury hotel. It is really coming along, bet you just can't wait to be done and move in.

If your tile floors ever fail from using Ditra send me a PM. I'll help ya. Make sure you use non-modified thin-set to set the tiles on top of the ditra. Also a very high premium latex modified thin-set to put down the ditra. I am not a fan of the stuff. It is very subseptible to deflection and your grout will begin to crack out. I spent almost 2 years baling a shop out on warranty jobs because of it.

Hopefully it holds up for you.

AF was told by the lady at the tile store to not use the Ditra in the master bath floor because we plan to put a claw foot tub in there. Said it would break tiles and pop the grout.
So asking you if we should just use it in the kids bathroom down stairs? Their floor is concrete. Going to put down Hardi Board upstairs.

It has been holding up for almost 8 years in our current bathroom. No grout cracking or tiles popping loose.

I luv herfrds":1gxquzuk said:
AF was told by the lady at the tile store to not use the Ditra in the master bath floor because we plan to put a claw foot tub in there. Said it would break tiles and pop the grout.
So asking you if we should just use it in the kids bathroom down stairs? Their floor is concrete. Going to put down Hardi Board upstairs.

It has been holding up for almost 8 years in our current bathroom. No grout cracking or tiles popping loose.

When used over Crete it acts as an anti-fracture membrane. That helps with horizontal movements. Certainly can't hurt. I prefer cementious boards over fiber based. Hardibacker has been known to de-laminate. Also it dries the thinset so quickly I believe the bond is not as strong.

Glad the ditra has held up for you. Here in WI with clay soils the frost is hell on houses and movement is guaranteed.

Thanks AF! We are on sandstone so not much movement here. Better to ask questions and learn before we make a mistake and have to replace what we just did! :tiphat:

Thanks slick! Can hardly wait!

ETA! My folks re-did their house. Spent all this money on all these upgrades for the bedrooms and bathrooms, the doors are cheap fiberglass and look terrible against all these improvements!

Latest posts