Hot & Dry

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh no....we can't possibly go into a drought this year. We are only a couple inches short of our expected yearly rainfall with 4 months to go. Never mind we haven't had any rain for 5 weeks.... The numbers just won't work. ;-)

Vette we have cracks in the ground that will swallow a pocketful of change. Officially we are at average rainfall. Poured a five gallon bucket of water into a crack this morning and it completely disappeared.

JWBrahman":45m4wuks said:
Vette we have cracks in the ground that will swallow a pocketful of change. Officially we are at average rainfall. Poured a five gallon bucket of water into a crack this morning and it completely disappeared.

I got one or 2 that will swallow the whole pair of britches the change came out of.

I am hoping this is just a dry summer. We just came out of a drought and don't care to see another like that in my life time.

greybeard":33kh6waj said:
JWBrahman":33kh6waj said:

I got one or 2 that will swallow the whole pair of britches the change came out of.
Got me here too. Just have more grass hiding them....and the 16 inch tall fire ant mounds that are hard as rock now.

Yesterday I penned off some heifers I'm going to keep. The lot has grass and water so I wasn't in all that big of a hurry to get a feed trough in the catch pen I'm going to keep them in for a while. I did get a roll of hay put it. Wife and I had plans to make a trip to the metroplex this morning so I didn't get to finishing up the chore till this afternoon......when I got the feed bunk.....HELLO..... :shock:

to the pen I found an empty hayring.... :lol: I figured the cows might eat a little but I didn't think they would be interested enough to eat a whole roll. +1 for the cows.

greybeard":37vwl3dj said:
'vette--trying to figure out what that picture is makes my head hurt............
:lol: Wasn't sticking my head under to get a better picture....was a smaller on on the other end too. Needless to say, they didn't much like the ride to the new location. :D

its passed hot here.we are under a heat advisory untill tues.the cows are draining a 600 gal water trough twice a day.

A little tropical activity could bring some moisture--if there were any tropical activity going on.
Remember after katrina, when the gooberment said global warming was the cause and would continue to cause more and bigger Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico tropical storms and hurricanes in the next few years and decades?
atl_vis_sat_tropicalindex_0.gif

Tropical Weather Discussion
For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of mexico:
Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.
$$
Forecaster Pasch
Not even a wave off the West coast of Africa...

20.jpg

And, with temp supposed to be 102 tomorrow, (saturday) I just discovered the condensor fan motor is not running on the central unit. :mad:

Never good when you walk across the front yard and hear grass crunching. I cut it too short when I mowed three weeks ago and that basically killed it, but then I wasn't thinking drought. The pasture looks good and green considering just not recovering like it normally does. Havent put hay out yet. Pond is as low now as I have ever seen it. Said a little prayer to send some rain.

I have a lot of white tridens grass. It is not talked about much on this site but is actually a pretty good grass when conditions get tough. It seems to be somewhat drought tolerant. The cows favor other grasses but readily eat it when not much else is available. It carries me every year in late summer when rain is sparse. It reseeds very well. It might be something worth adding in a native grass type pasture.

http://www.bamertseed.com/white-tridens/

bird dog":31ki8pka said:
I have a lot of white tridens grass. It is not talked about much on this site but is actually a pretty good grass when conditions get tough. It seems to be somewhat drought tolerant. The cows favor other grasses but readily eat it when not much else is available. It carries me every year in late summer when rain is sparse. It reseeds very well. It might be something worth adding in a native grass type pasture.

http://www.bamertseed.com/white-tridens/
We have that in some of our pastures. Its going to be the last thing our cows will eat and they do not eat the seed heads. Our horses love the seed heads. I had no idea what kind of grass it was so i called it squeaky granola.. When we ride the horses grab the seed heads and when they pull, it squeaks.
Cutting hay tomorrow...second cutting at one of our places. Not a great hay year considering all the rain we got. But we are one of the luckier ones. Rotation of pastures all messed up this year. No way the cows could graze them down like they should. Most herds have been in one pasture since June and still have plenty to graze in them. Shredding the weedier pastures, but this year not many weeds to shred. The heat and lack of rain is taking the green out of the looks of the place, but so far we have enough pasture to take us to weaning easy...

Well I can hear the thunder but today reminds me of Rita and Katrina. Just a puff of dry hot north wind.

Most of the real rain fell south and southwest of houston. We "may" have gotten 1/10"--maybe a little more, right about dark.

Latest posts