It's hot.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought one or 2 of mine were doing great when they walked up the road and mailed the electric bill check and brought the incoming mail back, but I can see now they're just slackers.
(they did tho, put a stamp on the Entergy envelope which I had forgotten to do)
If any of mine bring bills back, they go to the sale barn.

bball said:
We have had atleast a 50% chance of rain forecast for the past 3 days. O for 3. Continues to call for atleast 50% until Saturday. A few drops would be good right now. Forecast is just bad enough to keep from knocking down a hayfield.

they have no idea and think the heat might bring up a storm..

Cattle do better in cooler weather than the heat, when you watch you're cattle close enough, they don't care for the heat or the insects that come with it, don't tell me that hot weather and insects is better than the cold, doesn't matter how your cattle slicks down, same way with dairy cattle, cows loose production in the heat.

cowrancher75 said:
bball said:
We have had atleast a 50% chance of rain forecast for the past 3 days. O for 3. Continues to call for atleast 50% until Saturday. A few drops would be good right now. Forecast is just bad enough to keep from knocking down a hayfield.

Glad I didn't mow now, we had 2.5" overnight. One if those years you don't know which way to turn.

bball said:
cowrancher75 said:
bball said:

Glad I didn't mow now, we had 2.5" overnight. One if those years you don't know which way to turn.

i had all mine raked up.. 10% chance.. sunny and nice as could be then in the distance i see lightning and hear thunder.. about an hour later all h4ll breaks loose...

such fun!

cowrancher75 said:
bball said:
cowrancher75 said:

i had all mine raked up.. 10% chance.. sunny and nice as could be then in the distance i see lightning and hear thunder.. about an hour later all h4ll breaks loose...

such fun!
Same here, 20 acres down, burn't a bearing and rain.

cowrancher75 said:
bball said:

typical summer pop up storms..they throw a number at it..if it hits or it don't their in the clear....

We have a chance for isolated showers for the next 2 weeks, wear out a tv checking the weather. I got other things to do, cut another 20 yesterday, if it gets wet, oh well.

87 degrees and 67 % humidity here...HAY CAN I GET AN AMEN! 🙌🏽🙏🏾
Little unusual for July here, been having thunderstorms guess it cooled it off for a change. Pray for ya'll in the blazing heat. That's no joke stay hydrated and take breaks, nobody wants to pass out or have a heat stroke. 🥵🍻🥃🥤

The humidity was horrible today, baled about 30 bales, and had chain trouble, jumped all over my raker sweat in my eyes covered in grease. Had to rake the rest myself, got done at 558 and it started pouring about 605.

snoopdog said:
The humidity was horrible today, baled about 30 bales, and had chain trouble, jumped all over my raker sweat in my eyes covered in grease. Had to rake the rest myself, got done at 558 and it started pouring about 605.

Few things better than beating the rain during hay season! Feels good man.

bball said:
snoopdog said:

Few things better than beating the rain during hay season! Feels good man.
I had to fight it, broke or lost 3 master link clips. Never, ever , got to the last one, and by then I did not even give a good shize. But, it's done for now and I'm glad. Get the hay hauled and the equipment back home and I'll be gladder.

Yep, we had the same thing. 10% chance, had hay down, some raked, some baled. 4 days in a row 10% chance of a pop up storm. All 3 days in a row, got rain. Had to tedd out one raked field, didn't get 2 other places raked. Tedded out one cut field to try to get it fluffed up and turned up to dry, sunny and nice. By the time my son got done tedding it, turned black clouds, and opened up. Finally got all that was down, baled, but still have 4 more places to get done with 1st. No sense in laying them down to get rained on. 30-50% chance for a week, we have had some 3 out of 4 days so far..... but it was the 10% days that really make you wonder if it is worth it.

That's sucks Jan. It happens to all of us is the only comfort I can offer. I lost an absolutely beautiful first cut orchard grass field last year that got over an inch on it with a 0% chance for that day. Didn't rain a mile away in any direction just there.

Wish you would send some of that rain over the mountain to us. Dry as a popcorn fart here been 60% chances several days this week and haven't got enough to wet the sidewalk. Grass is starting to show the heat stress.

We have broke records the last couple days around here as it has been extremely hot...hopefully it will cool down before long and rain a little.

It's been 100+ the last several days here stretching back into last week. Got a quarter inch of rain yesterday and it's no less dusty but seems to be a little cooler today, maybe only 98.

Latest posts