Hooking a disc mower to tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I hooked the Vicon disc mower to tractor yesterday. Totally wore my butt out doing it. Jack one side up on the mower to hook one arm and then up and down on the tractor to get alignment I needed. Before hook up I had to clean the fire ants out of the PTO shaft that was on the ground. Then remove the shield and PB blast and hammer to get the PTO shaft to telescope. Now to start cutting and see if I can get a decent window to cure the hay. Really have had a lot of growth in the last two weeks.

Yes we have. I was hoping we'd get some activity from that little tropical depression and we did after some good showers around the 9th. I got my winter peas sowed the 8th....just in time.....ground is in fine shape and plenty of moisture for germination.

hurleyjd":3cvips1h said:
I hooked the Vicon disc mower to tractor yesterday. Totally wore my butt out doing it. Jack one side up on the mower to hook one arm and then up and down on the tractor to get alignment I needed. Before hook up I had to clean the fire ants out of the PTO shaft that was on the ground. Then remove the shield and PB blast and hammer to get the PTO shaft to telescope. Now to start cutting and see if I can get a decent window to cure the hay. Really have had a lot of growth in the last two weeks.
It's a 5 min job if the person cutting it loose does it right. Most people don't understand the lift arms need to be set like you are hooking up a bottom plow. Right side about 2" lower .

I hear people fuss all the time about how hard they are to hook up. I can hook mine up in a matter of minutes with no cuss words.

pricefarm":3jy31989 said:
I hear people fuss all the time about how hard they are to hook up. I can hook mine up in a matter of minutes with no cuss words.
I frequently hook up cut a while then cut loose hook to baler and bale a while. Then hook back to cutter again.

M-5":gpf45ghu said:
pricefarm":gpf45ghu said:
I frequently hook up cut a while then cut loose hook to baler and bale a while. Then hook back to cutter again.

Ya no big deal. Maybe some brand mowers are harder than others. I have always had New Holland disc mowers

I have to say the NH 313 discbine is a piece of cake to hook up (not a semi-mounted model). All you have to do is get close and it lines itself up, lower the hitch down, flip the little tongue up and slide the pin under it.
My JD 956 took a lot of trips in and out of the tractor.

If you make sure that you unhook on a level spot of ground it's no problem to hook.. Any slope at all can make it challenging and patience may be required..

Lazy M":26tlm70i said:
If you make sure that you unhook on a level spot of ground it's no problem to hook.. Any slope at all can make it challenging and patience may be required..
Patience may be required,just not always available...

I swear , it's like backing a trailer , I don't care how many times you've done it , you're gonna have That day

greybeard":3csexr8t said:
It can't possibly be as hard as hooking something up to the lift arms AND sway bars of a 8/9nFord..
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?? Anything that hooks to a 8n you can almost tote it on your shoulder plus you can. Reach back from the seat and put arms on pins

Not sarcastic at all.I have a 9n here, And no, you can't reach back from the seat of a 9N and connect the arms on either tandem disc or double bottom, unless you're double jointed and your name is Stretch. If you can tote either one or a 4' mower on your shoulder you da man.

The Vicon has a stand on the right side that has no adjustment. So when you lower the mower to remove it kicks the attachment pins at an angle that you cannot get the adjustment you need. I am toying with the idea of removing the stand and replacing it with a trailer jack that I can adjust up and down as needed. Now I place a jack under the left attachment pin and jack the mower to attach the lift arm.

hurleyjd":3tx4cchr said:
The Vicon has a stand on the right side that has no adjustment. So when you lower the mower to remove it kicks the attachment pins at an angle that you cannot get the adjustment you need. I am toying with the idea of removing the stand and replacing it with a trailer jack that I can adjust up and down as needed. Now I place a jack under the left attachment pin and jack the mower to attach the lift arm.

I have a vicon cm2400 , Get you 3- 6" x6" blocks about 18" long , place one on end, one under skid and the other under the jack stand. lower it all the way down until the jack stand rest on the block. twist the right lift arm depth adjustment where it is about 2 " lower than the left. loosen the top link where it can be unhooked . you should then be able to take a tire bar and slide the arms off the pins one off make note of any adjustment in arms that will be needed when you hook up again. I do know your frustration because before I bought this mower the guy that owned it would call me to come get it hooked up after he spent an hour or so trying. It was all because he tried to set it down with the jack stand higher than the bar. Since we traded the PT10 off back in the 80's every mower we have ever used was a vicon or khun 3 point and I always had to hook them up by myself .

used to run most machines on the three point, drop it off level and it will pick up easy. Swapped a lot of machines about some days.

What I do not like now is that European tractors have a hook on the linkage for trailers, never need to get out when hauling bales, here need to get out and lift drawbar and put pin every time you want to move the cart??

M-5":16xw2szk said:
hurleyjd":16xw2szk said:

I have a vicon cm2400 , Get you 3- 6" x6" blocks about 18" long , place one on end, one under skid and the other under the jack stand. lower it all the way down until the jack stand rest on the block. twist the right lift arm depth adjustment where it is about 2 " lower than the left. loosen the top link where it can be unhooked . you should then be able to take a tire bar and slide the arms off the pins one off make note of any adjustment in arms that will be needed when you hook up again. I do know your frustration because before I bought this mower the guy that owned it would call me to come get it hooked up after he spent an hour or so trying. It was all because he tried to set it down with the jack stand higher than the bar. Since we traded the PT10 off back in the 80's every mower we have ever used was a vicon or khun 3 point and I always had to hook them up by myself .

That is the same mower I have. I will try your method when I remove mower from tractor. I should have hooked the trail mower up but did not want to unhook baler and the Vicon needed used.

Latest posts