Hooking a disc mower to tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":3itxgq3p said:
M-5":3itxgq3p said:
hurleyjd":3itxgq3p said:
The Vicon has a stand on the right side that has no adjustment. So when you lower the mower to remove it kicks the attachment pins at an angle that you cannot get the adjustment you need. I am toying with the idea of removing the stand and replacing it with a trailer jack that I can adjust up and down as needed. Now I place a jack under the left attachment pin and jack the mower to attach the lift arm.

I have a vicon cm2400 , Get you 3- 6" x6" blocks about 18" long , place one on end, one under skid and the other under the jack stand. lower it all the way down until the jack stand rest on the block. twist the right lift arm depth adjustment where it is about 2 " lower than the left. loosen the top link where it can be unhooked . you should then be able to take a tire bar and slide the arms off the pins one off make note of any adjustment in arms that will be needed when you hook up again. I do know your frustration because before I bought this mower the guy that owned it would call me to come get it hooked up after he spent an hour or so trying. It was all because he tried to set it down with the jack stand higher than the bar. Since we traded the PT10 off back in the 80's every mower we have ever used was a vicon or khun 3 point and I always had to hook them up by myself .

That is the same mower I have. I will try your method when I remove mower from tractor. I should have hooked the trail mower up but did not want to unhook baler and the Vicon needed used.

the key is being able to adjust your right(sitting in seat) lift arm. I have seen tractors that are 30yrs old and they have never been adjusted once because the owner didn't realize it needed too. all 3point equipment requires some up down left right adjustment to make it function properly. Most bigger tractors have extender pin on arms. I still dont know why every manufacture didn't copy Oliver with the quick hitch lift arms. back in those days all 3 points had balls on the pins and you you backed up set your width and lifted then connected the top link .

Some of the older (gas powered) Case tractors pretty much mimicked Oliver's set up. I don't know who did it first but it was dang easy to get just about anything hooked up. Oliver made some really good tractors.

greybeard":3f57riyu said:
Some of the older (gas powered) Case tractors pretty much mimicked Oliver's set up. I don't know who did it first but it was dang easy to get just about anything hooked up. Oliver made some really good tractors.

I think the first white tractor we had had them also. Modern version is pats quick hitch and a couple of knock offs. I also
seam to recall it being an option on NH at one time to and it only required removing 2 pins and to change the ends out but I could be wrong

I hooked to the cutter today. I backed up one time. Got out of the tractor and started the stop watch. 2 min 6 sec . And I stepped back up in tractor and lifted it up . I didn't rush just normal movement.

M-5":1yw39szg said:
I hooked to the cutter today. I backed up one time. Got out of the tractor and started the stop watch. 2 min 6 sec . And I stepped back up in tractor and lifted it up . I didn't rush just normal movement.

Dash, did y'all have a tractor driving competition in high school? When I was in high school we had one for FFA members. But they done away with it soon after I graduated.

It didn't amount to much. Just a small 50hp'ish tractor and usually a grain drill. A few road cones to navigate, a little backing up, and a stopwatch. It was good entertainment for the ones of us that grew up on the farm and really didn't know how to do much else.

Yes, we did , almost every one at our school knew how to drive one tho. There was about 26 in my graduating class . You learn pretty quick when a storm is blowing in and you have to back several 4 wheel peanut wagons under a barn.

M-5":29agdls0 said:
Yes, we did , almost every one at our school knew how to drive one tho. There was about 26 in my graduating class . You learn pretty quick when a storm is blowing in and you have to back several 4 wheel peanut wagons under a barn.
43 in my graduating class.

Latest posts