Hoof, Nerve or Hip Issue.....Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
About a month or so ago, my Simm/Beef cow started limping on her right rear leg. It was observed that the outer "nail" was up over the inside one. Thought it was an issue of needing to be trimmed, so we got her up and trimmed it. Watched her for a week and saw no real improvement. She was due to calve and I didn't want to stress her again, so I let it go. Thought maybe it was a pinched nerve from the way the calf was situated inside her. Well, she calved about 3 weeks ago and now not only is the right rear the same, but the left side is the same way.

She gets around fine & walks pretty straight legged, but sometimes when she raises either leg to walk, she kind of shakes the leg (like a person who's foot or hand is asleep).

So today, I took a few photos. It is very evident while she is standing still.

I would really hate to have to get rid of her as a slaughter cow and no matter what, she will have to limp around for the next few months until I can sell the calf. Someone suggested to give her 3 shots of Dex in each flank, but I don't know if that is too high a dosage or even if it is something steroids will help with.

Starting to get pretty concerned. Anyone tell me what is going on?
2013-03-31_12-58-37_961.jpg

2013-03-31_12-59-15_803.jpg

Infection got into the joint would be my guess. At this stage there's nothing antibiotics or trimming can do.

We had one bloodline that got screw claw like that at about 5-6. That bloodline has since left the property as weigh cows.

Hooves prolly just got long enough she can't walk balanced on them anymore. Another few weeks and she'll have gotten used to it and she'll just hobble around without shaking each hoof as she walks. Straight legged stance comes from being rocked back onto her heels. Best option: ship the cow. Second best option: trim the hooves correctly so she'll be balanced, and she'll likely be fine for another year.

We have one cow that grows a lot of back toe, and she gets trimmed once a year. I would bet if you got her trimmed by a professional, she would come right around, then after the calf is old enough you can decide to ship her. 'Our show heifers seem to grow more toe than the cows, but I always thought that was because of the grain they get.
Our trimmer charges $12 per cow. Well worth the comfort of a cow. All we have to do is have them in a corral and he loads them in his trim table and gets them done.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1z8r0xsi said:
Our trimmer charges $12 per cow. Well worth the comfort of a cow. All we have to do is have them in a corral and he loads them in his trim table and gets them done.

I would glady pay $12 or even more to have a pro come and trim them. Problem is, around here no such thing exists.

Ship her and any of her offspring, but thats me. If you do want to try to trim them go talk to a couple of dairy farms they might know of a hoof trimmer. A guy I worked with quit to do it full time 2 years ago.

When evaluating cattle feet and bag are the first two things I look at. Your cow has terrible feet and By my definition is not a good cow. Can you imagine having an entire herd of cattle that had to be trimmed every year? If you were running a herd of 400 cows and could get them trimmed for $12 that's an additional $4800 per year. Not to mention the extra stress on the cattle, and time involved on your part. The proper thing to do is cull the cow. Many seed stock operations today do not pay enough attention to feet.

Trim her so that she can get around enough to raise the calf but don't breed her. Let her get fat and happy and then ship her when you wean/sell the calf.

E in PA":8vjvqzjn said:
Ship her and any of her offspring, but thats me.

She is definitely going to be shipped. My biggest concern is being able to keep her around long enough to raise this young calf. Once the calf can be weaned, she will be culled.

cow pollinater":2adux0fy said:
Trim her so that she can get around enough to raise the calf but don't breed her. Let her get fat and happy and then ship her when you wean/sell the calf.

That is exactly my point CP, keep her comfortable then get rid of her. If you do not know a trimmer, contact your nearest dairy. I know they trim the feet of cows at least twice a year, at least out here they do. That is how I found our trimmer, and he visits once a year to get the show heifers and our one cow. If we have a cow that gets lame, he will be right out. We had several this last summer get some pretty serious abscesses in their feet from the dry creek I made them walk through to get to a hay pasture I usually do not graze. Two needed pads, 6 ended up with pockets that were drained. Not pretty, and I was pretty darn thankful I had him to call on.

She is suffering from laminitis from the looks of it, notice the 'hardship' line(horizontal lines) as well as the color of hooves. This could be from diet, conformation, genetics, little exercise....a number of reasons, you will know better.
I would have her trimmed urgently and keep her water and feed close by not allowing her to walk great distances until you wean the calf. If she is in a lot of pain you may want to administer an anti inflam periodically.

Looks like typical screw claw/corkscrew claw to me. I don't see anything suggestive of laminitis.
Proper hoof-trimming can bring some pain relief, and may improve lameness, temporarily.

Evidence suggests a hereditary predisposition; so, I'm in agreement with previous statements - let her raise this calf and ship her. Not sure I'd necessarily cull daughters already in the herd - but I'd sure be watching them close for any signs of the same problem developing.
I'm sure not gonna be keeping a cow that I've got to trim hooves on just to keep her marginally sound.

Lucky_P":mbwarri9 said:
Looks like typical screw claw/corkscrew claw to me. I don't see anything suggestive of laminitis.
Proper hoof-trimming can bring some pain relief, and may improve lameness, temporarily.

Evidence suggests a hereditary predisposition; so, I'm in agreement with previous statements - let her raise this calf and ship her. Not sure I'd necessarily cull daughters already in the herd - but I'd sure be watching them close for any signs of the same problem developing.
I'm sure not gonna be keeping a cow that I've got to trim hooves on just to keep her marginally sound.

Set up an appointment in a couple of days to bring her to a vet who is set up to do the trimming and is experienced with screw claw. Price is reasonable, and he will be able to tell me if that's definitely what is wrong, but need to haul her almost 2 hrs each way. As long as I can provide comfort for her until the calf is big enough to wean, that's all that matters.

This calf is the only one of hers I have, and he will get snipped.

Finally got some good news this Spring.

Took the cow to the large animal clinic and the vet immediately said it is NOT screw claw, and therfor not genetic. He said "I guarantee you she has a crack in her hoof(s). Got her in the chute (which is a hydraulic rotating table) , cleaned her feet off, and sure enough, both hooves had big cracks, plus the "nail" had grown down over the "sole" because she wasn't putting pressure on them to wear them down. Doc ground her hooves down real good and I carried her back home. She is already standing flat footed and walking 100x better. Once the ligaments get back to normal, she will be fine.

Obviously, the cracks will never heal, but if I have to take her to be trimmed once a year, so be it. She is a super cow and has given me 2 big bull calves already. I am so glad i wasn't a pinched nerve or screw claw and I can keep her around.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Latest posts