Hoof, Nerve or Hip Issue.....Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

skeeter swatter":2s1a5igc said:
That is good news. Just curious, does she have short ears/tail?

????? Serious, or is there a joke there somewhere that my slow brain is missing?

robertwhite":28dpahim said:
Once the ligaments get back to normal, she will be fine.

Obviously, the cracks will never heal, but if I have to take her to be trimmed once a year, so be it. She is a super cow and has given me 2 big bull calves already. I am so glad i wasn't a pinched nerve or screw claw and I can keep her around.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Did the vet give any further explanation on how long it might take the ligaments to heal? I've only once seen the claw flipped up like on that worse foot and mentioned it to my vet (he didn't see the cow) and I thought from what he said that it meant the ligament was severed and wouldn't heal.

Good news. Be prepared to trim more than once a year to start with - the cracks *should* heal completely but it can take a few trims to assist the process.

skeeter swatter":2el78q85 said:
:cboy: No joke, sometimes if they freeze their ears at birth they will also frostbite feet and have problems later in life.

Gotcha. Nope, normal ears and tail.

regolith":1pxyk60d said:
Did the vet give any further explanation on how long it might take the ligaments to heal? I've only once seen the claw flipped up like on that worse foot and mentioned it to my vet (he didn't see the cow) and I thought from what he said that it meant the ligament was severed and wouldn't heal.

Good news. Be prepared to trim more than once a year to start with - the cracks *should* heal completely but it can take a few trims to assist the process.

No. Basically said that the ligaments will return to normal. Nothing is torn, they just have to relearn their proper use and strength. Her toes are perfectly flat now, and the crossed toe deal was just because of the way she was walking due to the overgrowth and cracks. Now that the weight is being supported as it should be, she should be fine. Time will tell.

That's good news, hope it is sucsessful....

The reason I mentioned laminitis is from the photo's it would seem that she has developed the 'slipper' effect and is walking on the heel bulbs giving an indication the the pedal bone has pulled away from the hoof wall and has rotated. When this rotation occurs it is referred to as 'founder'.

Would really like to see some pics of the trimmed hooves if you can.

alisonb":20t7zzx2 said:
Would really like to see some pics of the trimmed hooves if you can.

Good idea. It's raining today, but I will get some when I can.

Here's a photo after the trimming was done. She still is walking a little gingerly, but once the muscles and ligaments re-learn their function, she will be fine. She definitely gets around better.

aftertrimming.jpg

Pretty amazing difference, huh?

PS- Don't mind the crap stuck between her toes. :lol:

Latest posts