Home Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":csphpb2f said:
Finished her lessons for the summer. She averaged out a C grade. If she had done better on her social studies it would have been a B.

Math came out to a B along with science and english. Social studies came out at a D.

I have zero experience with home school. How are those grades assigned? That may be a monumental question to answer. Idk. I have always pictured, a student working on some kind of box curriculum. When it's done, the class is done. That's probably not how it works, I've just always had a mental picture of a list of assignments culminating to a final.

It was a percentage rate of completed work for each subject she did. That was also the quizzes and chapter tests she did. Each grade is set within a certain percentage range.

Gave daughter the summer off to relax. Got her back up and going on her schooling and discovered I did an oops. She has completed the entire middle school science programs. So I bumped her up to the high school level and she is taking 4 high school courses. Biology, algrebra 1, health and personal finances. The only thing left in her 8th grade courses are the english and language.

A former teacher of her's has a teaching degree in German. She has offered to teach her German.

Why not cut through all of the red tape and just giver her the high school diploma now? For that matter how about just go straight to the college degree? As Dean Mom you have the power.

Luca Brasi":18wr6b8x said:
Why not cut through all of the red tape and just giver her the high school diploma now? For that matter how about just go straight to the college degree? As Dean Mom you have the power.

That was uncalled for.

I luv herfrds":6xcuewwj said:
Gave daughter the summer off to relax. Got her back up and going on her schooling and discovered I did an oops. She has completed the entire middle school science programs. So I bumped her up to the high school level and she is taking 4 high school courses. Biology, algrebra 1, health and personal finances. The only thing left in her 8th grade courses are the english and language.

A former teacher of her's has a teaching degree in German. She has offered to teach her German.

There's a good opportunity. One on one. I hope your daughter is interested. Very nice of the teacher to make that offer, sounds like they think she's worht it.

Workinonit Farm":2e57czal said:
I luv herfrds":2e57czal said:

There's a good opportunity. One on one. I hope your daughter is interested. Very nice of the teacher to make that offer, sounds like they think she's worht it.

Find a Spanish teacher, if she can't speak it yet, she 'll actually use it.. 4 years of German for me, virtually useless

Everybody telling horror stories - I've got one. Neighbors daughter came home from school hysterical. Says she missed spelled a word on her spelling test. This kid was super smart and excelled in school. Father takes her spelling test paper back to school and shows it to the principal. He agrees all the words are spelled correctly. He calls the teacher into the office and asks her why she marked the word "flow" wrong. The teacher says the word was "flow", like what you be standin' on. You can imagine how far that went.

lavacarancher":25griy9l said:
Everybody telling horror stories - I've got one. Neighbors daughter came home from school hysterical. Says she missed spelled a word on her spelling test. This kid was super smart and excelled in school. Father takes her spelling test paper back to school and shows it to the principal. He agrees all the words are spelled correctly. He calls the teacher into the office and asks her why she marked the word "flow" wrong. The teacher says the word was "flow", like what you be standin' on. You can imagine how far that went.

:lol:

Brute 23":ob776vtd said:
lavacarancher":ob776vtd said:

:lol:

Results of affirmative action.

My son had a racist teacher who told the class the US never went to the moon and that it was just a white man's conspiracy all made up and filmed in Hollywood. Pretty sure if any other teacher wore the political agitating attire this teacher did day they would be fired but apparently we must make allowances for some in society who just can't help themselves.

11988645_1210872165606197_4069979657604865674_n.jpg

Don't worry Rafter S that person just shows their lack of maturity and their own ignorance

That's a good one Jo!

bball she wants to learn German so she can go over to Germany and visit our host son and learn more about her heritage.

My Son has been out of school for a long time. When he was in the eighth grade a science teacher had a multi choice question. The question was which engine does not use oxygen to run. 1. Rocket engine 2. gasoline engine 3. diesel engine My Son answered rocket engine. The teacher said diesel engine was the answer. I sent the Son to school the next day with an air cleaner for our tractor and told him to ask the teacher to tell him what it was. The teacher said it was an air cleaner. Son said yes for a John Deere diesel powered tractor. My Son's grade was changed to 100. Son also told the teacher that technically that the rocket engine was wrong since it had oxygen on board and did not have to have atmosphere oxygen to operate.

Coworker's son came home from school one day very upset. Teacher overheard him talking to classmates about his chickens which laid blue eggs. She warned him about lying. He insisted, so she verbally reprimanded him in front of the class and sent him to the principal's office. Phone rang as he was telling the story to mom. It was teacher informing mom of the day's events. Big mistake. Next day mom sends son to school with a dozen blue eggs from their Ameraucanas, a copy of an old National Geographic article about the blue egg laying chickens from when they were first imported into this country and several hatchery catalogs offering chicks with the same trait. His instructions were to stop by the principal's office for him to see, then give all to the teacher.

I luv herfrds":g5dhjlhv said:
Don't worry Rafter S that person just shows their lack of maturity and their own ignorance

That's a good one Jo!

bball she wants to learn German so she can go over to Germany and visit our host son and learn more about her heritage.

Good luck to her. Very logical language to learn, makes a lot of sense, unlike English...still recommend picking up some Español. ;-)

Started to have trouble with the algebra. Talked to a couple of her former teachers and a school board member and they advised to get her on another site and that has really helped her to understand it better.
Really weird that kids younger then her need a calculator to do math and she does it all in her head.

I luv herfrds":1s43q8to said:
Really weird that kids younger then her need a calculator to do math and she does it all in her head.

Why is that weird? I bet some of the kids younger than her don't even know how to do division and I bet some are still eating crayons.

ga.prime said:
Find the least common denominator with a calculator.[/quot

Adding and subtracting fractions were taught when I was in school. When I went to work fractions were never used.The manufacturing world had moved on to decimal equivalents. No need for a common denominater.

Latest posts