Holstein prices

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
I am in s Oregon and curious what 300-450 lb dairy steers and free martins are going for around your part(s) of the world?

Here in PA dairy country those holsteins seem cheap in comparison to same weight beef feeders.We hardly ever see holstein steers bring over $1.10 a lb. Holstein heifers have went clear down to .70 cents at auction here; cheap milk and sexed semen made cheap heifers.

A few weeks ago 250lb Holsteins were 1.40 and 350lbs were about 1.30 and at 450lbs they were 1.20. Now this last week the highest Holsteins I saw we're 1.18 at 300lbs but we are having some weather and there have been low numbers at the sales this week and last, so it's hard to get very many.

The sale barn I go to NE Ohio in Amish country, as Jason said above, its hard to see a 3-400 lb holstein steer bring much over .75 cents.

Holstein heifers are usually sold seperate and by the head. A week old Holstein heifer might make $120-150/head some higher some lower depending on the time of year. Springers run 600 and up this winter due to shortage of hay in the area. Normally they would be in the $1200 range.

Up here on the Washington coast holstein steers that size are 75-85 cents. Free martins are a little cheaper. And open heifers are just about the same price as steers, maybe a touch higher for real good heifers.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it depends who wants them. Got offered another batch today that average 375 for $82/cwt.

My son has been buying them so it isn't a grand scheme master plan, but the first couple bunches he bought are about ready to move on.

Thought I would bring this topic back up. My son got offered more Holsteins for .95/lb. guess he will have a higher feed bill this time, but if we got them now they ought to bring about the same money in the spring, and with the extra hay this year it shouldn't be too taxing to feed them.

What are current stein prices where you are?

Today, 3wt Holsteins were mostly around 1.40cwt. And at 550 to 600lbs they were 1.10 to 1.15cwt.

One bunch of nice steers that weighed 360lbs brought 1.35 that's 486$ then a equally nice set at 680lbs brought 1.09cwt that's 741$ and only 255$ for putting 320lbs on a Holstein, that don't work friends.

You could keep them longer to try and make more, but I don't think they can get big enough to make it work out. Around here Holsteins just don't make sense right now, but if you have a different market for them they might be fine.

Latest posts