Hog pen question/suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been seriously thinking about raising 2 every year and am reading this for tips.

One of our neighbors just put up a few hog panels, built a nice tidy pen and a shelter out of pallets (covered to look nice) and had no trouble whatsoever.

Another neighbor down the way runs quite a few hogs, all over his property including the front yard :eek: . All of them held in by maybe 7 strands of hot wire and nothing else, runs them similar to how you do cattle. They root up a section and then he moves them. Plants a lot of turnips and stuff and they go to town, turnips are super cheap to plant too. Never seen him have a problem except some small piglets outside the fence once.

I've never noticed the pastured ones smelling, but the small one with the hog panels I have for sure, a little too confined I think.

If you don't want to pour concrete, find you some used hog slats.
Another tip, put your feed, and loafing area where you don't want them to poop. Pigs only poop in one area, and not where they eat or sleep.

skyhightree1":22cozdrf said:
I sell hog halves and figured instead of buying from a friend all the time id try to keep some on hand that I raise. If I need more I would buy from him. I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a bad idea. I want to keep maybe 4-8 hogs at a time and thinking about making the lot out of wood posts and Hog panels. My question is has anyone ever used panels and nailed them to wood posts about an inch above ground and then just put the hot wire from a box directly to the panels ? I don't even want the hogs to get the idea of getting on the fence and trying to root out is why I wanted to use the electric.

They will have that grounded out in about 20 seconds..... :lol:
Nail you some insulators to a wood block for a standoff. Put it about a foot high and 6-12 inches into the pen.

Katherine we are at WAR with the devils and loosing.
The Big Thicket is ideal for them. When driving at night you will
white knuckle it through every creek bottom.
Lots of Russian influence in these, I have one coming to
the feeder looks like a York solid white never seen a solid white feral.
Woods were full of them when I was a kid but they were our hogs.

Caustic Burno":27urxjo0 said:

I have seen a lot of blacks, reds, and spots but never seen a solid white feral. If you get a photo post it. If the world goes off the grid at least us country boys will still have bacon.

wacocowboy":3cbzo5mc said:
Caustic Burno":3cbzo5mc said:

I have seen a lot of blacks, reds, and spots but never seen a solid white feral. If you get a photo post it. If the world goes off the grid at least us country boys will still have bacon.

I don't think I have cleared the card on that camera yet.
Now I said don't think as doorways act as an eraser on my brain these days.
I will check next time I am at the feeder if it is still on there I will post it.

When I was a kid I always had a couple hogs. I built a pen out of left over cattle panel and t-post. Built a shed out of left over wooden post, plywood, pallets and tin. I don't remember them ever rooting under or getting out. I must have been lucky. :D

I raise two or three pigs most every spring. The pen is about 40 by 50 with a woven wire fence. I put a hot wire about a foot off the fence and a foot off the ground. If they start pushing dirt up toward the hot wire it is easy to spot when I feed them and kick the dirt away. If they do manage to short out the wire they still have the woven wire to contend with until the next feeding when I will fix the hot wire. I have never had one escape. For a shelter I make an A-frame deal using old pallets and a couple sheets of plywood.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. I figured a lot of you all fooled with hogs at some point or another and had good tips.

Jalopy":34wrbzuq said:
If it is a question of hogs rooting soil against an electric fence why not mustering the hogs noses?

I don't know what mustering is, but my grandpa kept his rung. (ringed, rang?) Quite a show for a young fella on sow ringing day. And LOUD. Not as loud as boar-hog-tush-knocking-out-with-a-clawhammer-day, but close.

dont get into raising hogs.the love figuring out how to go over and under the fence no matter what you do.they will climb the panels and fence.they will digg under them.the best thing is to spend alot of money and put in concrete floors.

Just for your reference, we raised six Yorkshires 2 years ago and it ended up costing 2.36 lb for processed and packaged meat.
That includes buying cost, feed and processing fee.

I imagine you'll do much better than that but just to give you some idea.

Are you limit feeding or self feeding? What kind of waterer are you planning on using? If you get em small and they learn what electricity is early you will be fine with a low hot wire backed by hog panels. It doesnt hurt to give em something to keep them occupied though. We get old bowling balls and throw those in there pigs will roll em around all day. Helps keep them from getting bored and wondering whats on the other side of the fence. Just my 2 cents.

We have kept pigs "free range" behind a two strand hot wire, the biggest herd was 2000 sows, rarely had any escape, and those that did were easily loaded onto the trailer with a feed bucket, outlay and maintenance far cheaper than buildings, feed costs higher, and a well fertilized field when the breeding herd is moved every year,the fattners pens are moved after each batch.

The hot wire reminds me of a litter of Chesters I had once. I had hog wire up and they had dug under it so I put a hot wire just a few inches off the ground. They were about 4-5 weeks old and the largest little boar would walk up to the wire and the rest would line up behind him. He would stick his nose to the wire and take the current until it pulsed off, then run under the wire. Each one would follow and as it pulsed back on you would hear some squeal. They didn't stop until all of them were out. I sure don't miss that part of raising them.

Latest posts