Hog pen question/suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

What breeds do you all or did you all raise? Whats the best one in yalls opinion to put on the table? Good growing and good meat. I was leaning towards Hampshire or durocs. I bought some that are crosses of different breeds and there good to eat but they don't seem to grow like the ones we use to have which is durocs.

I was always in favor of poland china duroc crosses. Hamps seemed to fatty and these new bluebutt hogs are to dam lean for my taste.

York x Duroc have always been my favorite.

If your wanting the most profitable pig, York x Landrace gilts with duroc boars.

x2 Or York gilts with a landrace boar. To butcher, I like a long white hog.
To look at while they are running around, I like those Hamp pigs pretty good, with Duroc a close second.
I like hogs. But I have never raised any, and had to keep them in. My Grandpa had hundreds when I was little.

Thanks yall.. I now have to see what is available in my area as far as that goes guy i got mine from doesnt have the best stuff and is criss crossed every which a way.

You could do like a guy here did back in the late 80's or early 90's.
The house he lived in was one of those big old nice houses that was built in the days of not many nice houses. It was setting up high like they did then too.
Over the years worse and worse people lived in it so it steady went down.
Well this guy tore the floor out of the living room, used that to make a wall around it to the ground and put the hogs in there.

I use cattle and hog panels with T posts for pens , posts go on the outside of panels or panels on the inside of posts , post on each end and 1 in the middle , not all pigs tear things up , here if I have a problem they grow wheels one way are another ,sale or kill truck , I also move pens every year
and have used hoop houses for shelter with a tarp over it
Suzanne

skyhightree1":tsp8hg0q said:
So what breed are you all getting?

We're going to look at some Berkshire, Duroc, and Chesters this afternoon. Going to another place Sunday and I think he has hamp cross.

Looks like you already have it built....but an "automatic exercise" is a long pen with water on one end, shelter in the middle and food on the other end. Keeps them walking on their own.

the second picture was me doing a hoop house for farrowing in , and was hoping a person could tell
how the sow pen in the background was done
Suzanne

Friday's adventure was a bust. Very different pasture raised hog environment and not what I was looking for in a 4-H show pig. Sunday we went to a Yorkshire breeder. We bought a barrow. There is a local breeder having a sale this coming Sunday so we will try and pick up a gilt there.

J&D Cattle":17pb6hqx said:
Friday's adventure was a bust. Very different pasture raised hog environment and not what I was looking for in a 4-H show pig. Sunday we went to a Yorkshire breeder. We bought a barrow. There is a local breeder having a sale this coming Sunday so we will try and pick up a gilt there.
For a strictly show pig the blue butts are hard to beat. Hardly worth eating though

J&D Cattle":ahb282ig said:
Here's my daughter with the barrow we bought. Going to look at gilts this weekend.

What are hers and Kash's ages?

Latest posts