Transportation question

Help Support CattleToday:

Regardless of the cost, That's a lot of loaded miles and I just hope he gets back home safely with his load.
He got there ok today about dinner time. He had called me last night from Louisiana somewhere, and asked me if I would go get his horse this morning, bring mine, and come down and help them . I just left from down there about dark. He had gotten a boy from down there that has this horse he is riding for Warren. Me and him helped Warren and his grandson sort them all then drive them to their different pastures. Had a few rodeos doing that! :) The other 4 that drove the other 2 trucks were too tired and sleepy. They took off home when they got unloaded, which is about 10 minutes. Warren and Parker had 3 hours to get home, and they were still there when I left about 6. They should be getting home soon, but I bet he goes straight to bed. He looked bad when he got there today. Tried to get him to lay down in the truck or trailer dressing room, but he wouldn't having no part of that!

When I got there this morning, there were those 5 black designer bulls they gonna use in the front part of the arena, and their mule team, his gaited riding mule, and Scott's 3 gaited horses in the back. They had built a pole barn on one side of it, so me and Bo got some panels and closed it in right quick, then let the horses in there. Then we saddled up and moved the black bulls in to the back part. We opened the gate to the front and let their Cor bull and 4 heifers about to calf in there. Then pushed the 4 heifers into the back pen with the bulls, and let Torro back out. Then when the cows got here, we unloaded them all in the front pen, and the work started. Once we had them all shut in, we commenced to sorting! Some of the heifers were only a year or a little over. We sorted all 25 or so of the heifers out of the arena and back into the pasture. That's where they will be kept with Torro til the end of February, then he goes to Scott's house. Then we drove the rest, along with their 4 Corrs about to calve and the 5 bulls down the road apiece to the opposite side, where Scott has about 500 acres of row crop land fenced in. They have about 50 acres of it that they plant in a dove field, and the rest was cotton this year. Scott said he had some rolls of peanut hay that he would set out and keep an eye on how long it lasted. Come time to plant next spring, they will move that herd back over to the hunting land.

Glad he made it safe. I DM'd him to ask if he had but I bet he's so tired he won't get around to it for a while.
He probably won't get on his computer tonight when he gets home. But he might. He wont answer phone texts, FB messages etc., and will not use the internet etc on a phone. You leave yours in the truck when you work for him, too. :D:eek:

He got there ok today about dinner time. He had called me last night from Louisiana somewhere, and asked me if I would go get his horse this morning, bring mine, and come down and help them . I just left from down there about dark. He had gotten a boy from down there that has this horse he is riding for Warren. Me and him helped Warren and his grandson sort them all then drive them to their different pastures. Had a few rodeos doing that! :) The other 4 that drove the other 2 trucks were too tired and sleepy. They took off home when they got unloaded, which is about 10 minutes. Warren and Parker had 3 hours to get home, and they were still there when I left about 6. They should be getting home soon, but I bet he goes straight to bed. He looked bad when he got there today. Tried to get him to lay down in the truck or trailer dressing room, but he wouldn't having no part of that!

When I got there this morning, there were those 5 black designer bulls they gonna use in the front part of the arena, and their mule team, his gaited riding mule, and Scott's 3 gaited horses in the back. They had built a pole barn on one side of it, so me and Bo got some panels and closed it in right quick, then let the horses in there. Then we saddled up and moved the black bulls in to the back part. We opened the gate to the front and let their Cor bull and 4 heifers about to calf in there. Then pushed the 4 heifers into the back pen with the bulls, and let Torro back out. Then when the cows got here, we unloaded them all in the front pen, and the work started. Once we had them all shut in, we commenced to sorting! Some of the heifers were only a year or a little over. We sorted all 25 or so of the heifers out of the arena and back into the pasture. That's where they will be kept with Torro til the end of February, then he goes to Scott's house. Then we drove the rest, along with their 4 Corrs about to calve and the 5 bulls down the road apiece to the opposite side, where Scott has about 500 acres of row crop land fenced in. They have about 50 acres of it that they plant in a dove field, and the rest was cotton this year. Scott said he had some rolls of peanut hay that he would set out and keep an eye on how long it lasted. Come time to plant next spring, they will move that herd back over to the hunting land.
Thanks again for coming to help. brother. I thought for a while I was going to buy the farm down in Louisiana. Come by the barn tomorrow when you get off, and I will pay you. I will be there smoking a doob and drinking beer, and there will be plenty for you.! I am not gonna work too much tomorrow, I tell ya. Hey, when you see this, tell the folks how Frank did today! :)

Thanks again for coming to help. brother. I thought for a while I was going to buy the farm down in Louisiana. Come by the barn tomorrow when you get off, and I will pay you. I will be there smoking a doob and drinking beer, and there will be plenty for you.! I am not gonna work too much tomorrow, I tell ya. Hey, when you see this, tell the folks how Frank did today! :)
I will come by, but no way in hell will I let you pay me, old man. Not as much as you have done for me, are you nuts? Go smoke a blunt and get in bed, damn it! You and Scott were the oldest of the 6 on that cattle run, and damned if you two weren't the only ones worth a damn today when y'all got there! I wish I was half as tough as you, my man.

Oh yeah, Frank! I reckon I have seen most of your horses the last 45 years or so, and other than Smoke and that bay Appendix stallion you had when I started hanging out with you, he may be the best you have been on. Bo is a hell of a cutting trainer, better than you, but you know that. But Frank worked better for you, and you rode him better. Bo even said it. It is like it is with mules...hat horse has bonded with you. Oh, and Merlin. Is he still alive? Joseph still got him?

Thanks again for coming to help. brother. I thought for a while I was going to buy the farm down in Louisiana. Come by the barn tomorrow when you get off, and I will pay you.
I will come by, but no way in hell will I let you pay me, old man. Not as much as you have done for me, are you nuts?

I cannot thumbsup or like that conversation near as much as it needs!!!
Brothers!!!!!!

I cannot thumbsup or like that conversation near as much as it needs!!!
Brothers!!!!!!
Thanks Greybeard. Thats why me and Clay like the biker community so much. When it gets cad, you never have to look behind you. you know your rother is right behind covering your back. If a brother is in a situation, I don't care if he is right or wrong, All I need to know is someone is against him, and I react swiftly and decisively. Wife might leave you, family might abandon or dis own you, but your brother is there for life, for whatever needs to be done. Especially us old farts. Hel, at my age anmd my health, a life sentence , I would be looking at 5-10 years tops! LOL There is saying amongst us: A friend will be there to get you out of jail. Your best friend will be sitting right there in jail with you., but a Brother is going to say " You stay out of it ... I will handle it for you."

Our government is trying to do better. Based on a rumor, they plan to soon start shipping 2 pounds of CAB beef weekly to each household in the US, central and south america. And 1 bushel of kudzu sprigs to each member of a cattleman's association. And a corriente heifer to each FFA and 4-H member that requests one. This will start as soon as the average sale price for spotted cattle exceeds the sale price for solid color cattle and after CAB removes the color and carcass qualifications from their program. And when Warren posts some pictures of his cattle. Something for everyone in that new program. :D

Several of you had sent messages to me the past few days about this "adventure". El Paso and back in 48 hours is a B*TCH, to say the least. But, I got a load of very good stock. 70 of the 100 were cattle owned by my contact in Chihuahua. He guaranteed them open and I 100% have faith in it. 17 are black ( got them sold at $800 each bred to our black bulls, which was happening yesterday as we were driving them to a different pasture). About 25 heifers in the bunch, some barely yearlings. But this helped in the transporting, them being 400-500 lbs. 30 came from 2 neighboring ranches, both also in Chihuahua,20 from one and 10 from another. George said these were supposed to be open but don't hold my breath :) He said if any of the 20 are bred, they will be bred to a Charbray bull. One of those is also black. I called the client and told him the deal, and he said he'd take her too even if she was already bred. So that's another $800 sale. The other 10 would be bred to a Satilla..the black, Mexican fighting bulls. That's ok too, their horn shape is PERFECT for roping. There is a black heifer in that bunch, but not going to try to sel her to my client. if any of these Corrs are bred to that fighting bull, they will be the same height as a Corr, with perfect horns, just a lot heavier.
So, I gave $13k for the Chianina bulls I traded, plus sold sold 18 now for $14,400. So I was at 82 free cows and $1400 to the good. Expenses ran higher than I though. That F550 Robert pulled is 40' 8'wide tri axel stock trailer, though aluminum, sucked the hell out of diesel fuel. And it was loaded both ways...10 bulls going and 45 cows coming back. Scott hauled 32 and I carried 23. Mine is 32 foot with a 4' tack..dressing room, so only 28 feet of cargo space. So instead of $5k in expense it was closer to $6k. No mechanical problems, flats etc., on any of the tricks and trailers. I got paid $3k for hauling the horses, So I have $3k in expense, minus the $1400 made on the trade. I have $1600 in the remaining 82 cows. $19.50 per head. They will wean a $700-$750 calf each year,.. about $61,500 each year.

We sorted off the heifers..20 something I forgot exactly because I was a dead man walking when we were doing it, and turned them backout in the Kudzu pasture with our Corr bull. Had to get grandson and Scott to haze them to the back of the 200 acres on our gaited horses we had there, before we could let the rest of them, the 5 bulls, and our 4 Corr heifers about to calve out, to herd over to Scott's 450 acres of row crop land ( all cotton this past year) and our 50 acre dove field ) . All 5 bulls were chasing and trying to mount cows the whole mile or so down the road, so that was a good sign. Me, Bo, and Clay did this, and I am so glad they came to help. I needed real cowboys for this...these Mexican cattle ain't like broke rodeo stock, and they were pissed after riding in a truck for 1500 miles for 24 hours. The bulls were full of piss and vinegar too. and horny. I had to rope one and drag him the last quarter mile. which is nothing for my rope horse. SO proud of Frank. Without him we would have had half the cows over in the next county 10 miles down the road! and Clay;s horse is one of the best all-around cow horses I have seen. If I was younger I would just buy Frank myself. But he needs someone who knows horses to give him a job for the next 15 or so years, and I most likely won't be here for half that long.

I an still on the fence about Robert's bulls we are using. His half Brahma half ChiAngus are awesome, as are his half brahma half black simmental. The f2s, ... the 1/4 Brah/1/4 Chiangus/1/2 Simm and 1/4 Br 1/4Simm/ 1/2 Chiangus are probably the best eared black cattle taht there is. I have never seen any better, lasst ways. I think they have achieved the maximum herteratosis with thaatf2 cross. But his crossing the 2 f1s ? I don't see that it has accomplished a thing...certainly no cross bred heteratosis. Probab;y lost some, but I don;t know. I haven't done any ciphering on it yet. I don't think there is anything wrong with them just unnecessary and non-beneficial. I guess we will see in October.

We won't be 100% zero inout this year. the place across the road was allin cotton last year, so not a lot of forage left. There are some still stnading corn, millet, and peanuts in the dove field, as well as some sun-flower stalks.so Scott is gonna put out some 2021 peanut hay rolls he has until we move them back to the Kudzu fields. We hope to wait til the end of February...end of quail and rabbit season to move them back. We will have to before planting time this spring. we didn't notice any of the cows obviously close to calving, but we'd rather they don't over there..450 acres with the smallest crossed fenced area being the 50 acre dove field. The other 4 are about 100 acres each. and no corrals on itl. but we can tag em and band them over there if we have to. We sure got the horse power to handle it, don't we Clay-boy?!! :)

Several of you had sent messages to me the past few days about this "adventure". El Paso and back in 48 hours is a B*TCH, to say the least. But, I got a load of very good stock. 70 of the 100 were cattle owned by my contact in Chihuahua. He guaranteed them open and I 100% have faith in it. 17 are black ( got them sold at $800 each bred to our black bulls, which was happening yesterday as we were driving them to a different pasture). About 25 heifers in the bunch, some barely yearlings. But this helped in the transporting, them being 400-500 lbs. 30 came from 2 neighboring ranches, both also in Chihuahua,20 from one and 10 from another. George said these were supposed to be open but don't hold my breath :) He said if any of the 20 are bred, they will be bred to a Charbray bull. One of those is also black. I called the client and told him the deal, and he said he'd take her too even if she was already bred. So that's another $800 sale. The other 10 would be bred to a Satilla..the black, Mexican fighting bulls. That's ok too, their horn shape is PERFECT for roping. There is a black heifer in that bunch, but not going to try to sel her to my client. if any of these Corrs are bred to that fighting bull, they will be the same height as a Corr, with perfect horns, just a lot heavier.
So, I gave $13k for the Chianina bulls I traded, plus sold sold 18 now for $14,400. So I was at 82 free cows and $1400 to the good. Expenses ran higher than I though. That F550 Robert pulled is 40' 8'wide tri axel stock trailer, though aluminum, sucked the hell out of diesel fuel. And it was loaded both ways...10 bulls going and 45 cows coming back. Scott hauled 32 and I carried 23. Mine is 32 foot with a 4' tack..dressing room, so only 28 feet of cargo space. So instead of $5k in expense it was closer to $6k. No mechanical problems, flats etc., on any of the tricks and trailers. I got paid $3k for hauling the horses, So I have $3k in expense, minus the $1400 made on the trade. I have $1600 in the remaining 82 cows. $19.50 per head. They will wean a $700-$750 calf each year,.. about $61,500 each year.

We sorted off the heifers..20 something I forgot exactly because I was a dead man walking when we were doing it, and turned them backout in the Kudzu pasture with our Corr bull. Had to get grandson and Scott to haze them to the back of the 200 acres on our gaited horses we had there, before we could let the rest of them, the 5 bulls, and our 4 Corr heifers about to calve out, to herd over to Scott's 450 acres of row crop land ( all cotton this past year) and our 50 acre dove field ) . All 5 bulls were chasing and trying to mount cows the whole mile or so down the road, so that was a good sign. Me, Bo, and Clay did this, and I am so glad they came to help. I needed real cowboys for this...these Mexican cattle ain't like broke rodeo stock, and they were pissed after riding in a truck for 1500 miles for 24 hours. The bulls were full of piss and vinegar too. and horny. I had to rope one and drag him the last quarter mile. which is nothing for my rope horse. SO proud of Frank. Without him we would have had half the cows over in the next county 10 miles down the road! and Clay;s horse is one of the best all-around cow horses I have seen. If I was younger I would just buy Frank myself. But he needs someone who knows horses to give him a job for the next 15 or so years, and I most likely won't be here for half that long.

I an still on the fence about Robert's bulls we are using. His half Brahma half ChiAngus are awesome, as are his half brahma half black simmental. The f2s, ... the 1/4 Brah/1/4 Chiangus/1/2 Simm and 1/4 Br 1/4Simm/ 1/2 Chiangus are probably the best eared black cattle taht there is. I have never seen any better, lasst ways. I think they have achieved the maximum herteratosis with thaatf2 cross. But his crossing the 2 f1s ? I don't see that it has accomplished a thing...certainly no cross bred heteratosis. Probab;y lost some, but I don;t know. I haven't done any ciphering on it yet. I don't think there is anything wrong with them just unnecessary and non-beneficial. I guess we will see in October.

We won't be 100% zero inout this year. the place across the road was allin cotton last year, so not a lot of forage left. There are some still stnading corn, millet, and peanuts in the dove field, as well as some sun-flower stalks.so Scott is gonna put out some 2021 peanut hay rolls he has until we move them back to the Kudzu fields. We hope to wait til the end of February...end of quail and rabbit season to move them back. We will have to before planting time this spring. we didn't notice any of the cows obviously close to calving, but we'd rather they don't over there..450 acres with the smallest crossed fenced area being the 50 acre dove field. The other 4 are about 100 acres each. and no corrals on itl. but we can tag em and band them over there if we have to. We sure got the horse power to handle it, don't we Clay-boy?!! :)
You got that right, boss man! It just occurred to me while reading this account about those 10 that might be bred to the Mexican fighting bull. A lot of the nay-sayers on here, those that don't know shyte from shinola about Corriente, Corriente x Angus crosses, (probably never seen one live), or just cattle in general say that they think these cross bred calves have " axe asses", meaning too narrow a rear end, I guess. Well, IF that fighting bull puts more bulk on those calves, like those cattle themselves have. And IF they are as hardy, disease and parasite and worm free as the Corrs are. And IF they don't get any taller than pb Corrs, And IF they thrive on the kinda forage Corrs do. And IF they are as cheap, you might ought to see George about getting 1 or 2 of those bulls. I think there is even a ranch in Texas or New Mexico that breeds them and keeps the registry. Or hell, if one of these 10 are bred to that bull, and has a bull calf, don't cut it..keep it. a Corr momma cow built like UGA....see where I am going.

I know youare in the studio tonight mixing the boys' new album. I am about to turn in now, and you won't get back til 2 or 3 AM! Let me know what you think on here or FB , or call me tomorrow.

You got that right, boss man! It just occurred to me while reading this account about those 10 that might be bred to the Mexican fighting bull. A lot of the nay-sayers on here, those that don't know shyte from shinola about Corriente, Corriente x Angus crosses, (probably never seen one live), or just cattle in general say that they think these cross bred calves have " axe asses", meaning too narrow a rear end, I guess. Well, IF that fighting bull puts more bulk on those calves, like those cattle themselves have. And IF they are as hardy, disease and parasite and worm free as the Corrs are. And IF they don't get any taller than pb Corrs, And IF they thrive on the kinda forage Corrs do. And IF they are as cheap, you might ought to see George about getting 1 or 2 of those bulls. I think there is even a ranch in Texas or New Mexico that breeds them and keeps the registry. Or hell, if one of these 10 are bred to that bull, and has a bull calf, don't cut it..keep it. a Corr momma cow built like UGA....see where I am going.

I know youare in the studio tonight mixing the boys' new album. I am about to turn in now, and you won't get back til 2 or 3 AM! Let me know what you think on here or FB , or call me tomorrow.
Yep. I sent the band home at 11. Just not happy with it and they can't understand what I am trying to tell the guitarist what I want. Tonight, Donny the engineer is going to lay down a harmonizing lead track using a 337 and a Tele, and redo the bass and drums. I am going to lay down a B3 and a Rowland Electric track. We won't mix tonight, but will before they come back next week and let them hear it and see what they think. Probably get in bed abut 5, so don't call me before 10!

I have been thinking just like you all day about this and had already decided I will keep any of those calves intact if they are bulls, and grow them out. If we like them we will grow them on to 2 yr olds and try some of the cows using them. If any of those 10 have a heifer we will keep her and breed her. She will be what we would get using a Mexican bull on Corriente.

I'd like to go up to Trenton where Dan's outfit has a herd of heifers that they dont want to register . They raise them for commercial replacement heifers and if they don't sell, he will breed them and sell them either pregnant or as a pair. Anyhow, he came by today and showed me a pic of one of the bulls he used on those Charolais. Damndest Red Brangus bull I have ever seen. Might be the best bull period any where of any color of any breed. Then he pulled up a pic of a Red Angus he breeds those 40 Charbray cows to that he owns personally, and keeps up there. Well the Brangus was the best bull I had ever seen of any kind, until I saw this one. They started calving in December and are about all done. Let's haul the horses up there and go see them Sat or Sun. Oh, And when we do, for God's sakes remember to take some pics! People on here get all bent out of shape if they don't get to look at pics of what ever you talk about.

Yep. I sent the band home at 11. Just not happy with it and they can't understand what I am trying to tell the guitarist what I want. Tonight, Donny the engineer is going to lay down a harmonizing lead track using a 337 and a Tele, and redo the bass and drums. I am going to lay down a B3 and a Rowland Electric track. We won't mix tonight, but will before they come back next week and let them hear it and see what they think. Probably get in bed abut 5, so don't call me before 10!

I have been thinking just like you all day about this and had already decided I will keep any of those calves intact if they are bulls, and grow them out. If we like them we will grow them on to 2 yr olds and try some of the cows using them. If any of those 10 have a heifer we will keep her and breed her. She will be what we would get using a Mexican bull on Corriente.

I'd like to go up to Trenton where Dan's outfit has a herd of heifers that they dont want to register . They raise them for commercial replacement heifers and if they don't sell, he will breed them and sell them either pregnant or as a pair. Anyhow, he came by today and showed me a pic of one of the bulls he used on those Charolais. Damndest Red Brangus bull I have ever seen. Might be the best bull period any where of any color of any breed. Then he pulled up a pic of a Red Angus he breeds those 40 Charbray cows to that he owns personally, and keeps up there. Well the Brangus was the best bull I had ever seen of any kind, until I saw this one. They started calving in December and are about all done. Let's haul the horses up there and go see them Sat or Sun. Oh, And when we do, for God's sakes remember to take some pics! People on here get all bent out of shape if they don't get to look at pics of what ever you talk about.
@Warren Allison
Will u put on an eyepatch and twirl a Winchester on that horse?

Should be a good time!

@Warren Allison
Will u put on an eyepatch and twirl a Winchester on that horse?

Should be a good time!
Ain't gonna happen. I don't let pics of me or my family on the internet. We ain't going to see those cattle today, cause Clay has to haul mash from Budweiser a;; day, and I have a lot to do at the office today. How did you know I lost an eye?!!

Ain't gonna happen. I don't let pics of me or my family on the internet. We ain't going to see those cattle today, cause Clay has to haul mash from Budweiser a;; day, and I have a lot to do at the office today. How did you know I lost an eye?!!
Got rained out about 2 today, but I know you have to do bike night tonight, and the weather is bad up there, too. I might come to bike night tonight, but I ain't gonna ride!

yea id love to see these cows! did you have any die on the trip?

No, I didn't take any pics. spent over 24 hours on the road getting them here, and 6 hours in the saddle getting them sorted and driven to different pastures, racing against the dark. None died. Cattle coming out of Chihuahua are vetted and vaccinated etc., more than cattle in a college vet school here in the US are. When we got them unloaded they drank the hell out of some water then went for the salt and minerals in the arena. Once we got them moved to pastures they went to browsing. They look just like any Corriente cattle you have seen, though. Every color that cattle come in is represented. red &white Hereford, Holstein, Guernsey, Jeresy and brown swiss faces and colors, solid red, solid black, soild tan, one blue roan, most are that shorthorn roaning like you see in Longhorns a lot. 2 are solid white with dark points.

Latest posts