Transportation question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need to get 100 cows from El Paso to Perry, GA. they will average 650 -700 lbs. How many fill fit on an18-wheeler cattle hauler? It is 1470 miles. About how much a mile could I expect to pay? GBall park...don't need an exact quote. Reckon 75 would fit on it? I will be carrying nine 900-1000lb bulls there on a 36' aluminum stock trailer, so could haul 25 back with me.

I need to get 100 cows from El Paso to Perry, GA. they will average 650 -700 lbs. How many fill fit on an18-wheeler cattle hauler? It is 1470 miles. About how much a mile could I expect to pay? GBall park...don't need an exact quote. Reckon 75 would fit on it? I will be carrying nine 900-1000lb bulls there on a 36' aluminum stock trailer, so could haul 25 back with me.
How long is the trailer the hauler is using? A 53 footer is usually for up to 25 or so, but that's also partially a factor of weight and space.

Looking at the average number of axles on those trailers and figuring for max allowable weight, the trailer and a truck in good condition are capable of this and the number could be reached between the both of you, but it's a factor of weight and space and I can't tell you what the hauler himself will say. I'll defer from here because while I have commercially hauled animals, cow hauling rigs aren't my bread and butter.

I think 18 wheeler trailers are 53 feet, and the cattle haulers have two levels in them. I think they can haull more than 25 head, though.
Trailers come in plenty of lengths, but most cow rigs are 53 footers. I quoted you what is quoted to be "right"

I have seen 40-50 heifers of a greater weight than you posted fit into one.

I personally know a chick who took 44 heifers heavier than that up the road last year on an 18 speed manual rig.

Looking at the average number of axles on those trailers and figuring for max allowable weight, the trailer and a truck in good condition are capable of this and the number could be reached between the both of you, but it's a factor of weight and space and I can't tell you what the hauler himself will say. I'll defer from here because while I have commercially hauled animals, cow hauling rigs aren't my bread and butter.
Gross allowable weight for a loaded rig is 80k lbs. The truck and trailer empty is about 30k, depending on the truck, might be 35k. 75 head would be about 48-49k. I just wondered if there was enough space for that many on a truck?

Gross allowable weight for a loaded rig is 80k lbs. The truck and trailer empty is about 30k, depending on the truck, might be 35k. 75 head would be about 48-49k. I just wondered if there was enough space for that many on a truck?
I was working off of similar numbers and that's why I said space is the bigger question that I can't answer. I wish I could help more, I'm a truck driver, just not that variety.

Even if it's not a three axle rig, those numbers could work if the average in his load was 675. Capitol Land and Livestock hauls a good number of all kinds and they're friendly on the phone, I bet they'd answer.

One of the local truckers I use to haul cows can go up to 60,000 pounds. Some of the others I have used to could only haul 50,000 pounds. I would say somewhere between 70 to 85.

Find
Even if it's not a three axle rig, those numbers could work if the average in his load was 675. Capitol Land and Livestock hauls a good number of all kinds and they're friendly on the phone, I bet they'd answer.
Also lots of calves from the southeast go to the feedlots in Hereford TX. Might work with that and get them hauled back a little cheaper.

And they are in TX. They get calves from Louisiana and Arkansas so that's part of their trip.

Find

Also lots of calves from the southeast go to the feedlots in Hereford TX. Might work with that and get them hauled back a little cheaper.

And they are in TX. They get calves from Louisiana and Arkansas so that's part of their trip.

Yessir, that was kind of in with my thinking. I wish I had the equipment for it myself, but alas, I think that's in the retirement plans for me. I can't get into cattle hauling at this point in my life even on somebody else's equipment, can't be on the road that much. Got too many people and things relying on seeing me every day.

I should add, the last time I called Capitol with a question they were as friendly as you could ever ask for and made me feel like I couldn't waste their time if I tried.

Total weight unless it's a 3 axle trailer will be 50,000lb. But you will need to unload at least once to feed and water.
Last I heard $4 a mile.
Ouch. That will be $6k, Adds $60 a head to my costs for those. $310 a head instead of $250. Plus, gonna cost me $1000 or so in fuel to take those bulls and bring back sone of the cows on my trailer. Where would you unload them? I guess some where along I-20 in La.? A sale barn, maybe?

Ouch. hat will be $6k, Adds $60 a head to my costs for those. $319 a head instead of $250. Plus, gonna cost me $1000 or so in fuel to take those bulls and bring back sone of the cows on my trailer. Where would you unload them? I guess some where along I-20 in La.? A sale barn, maybe?
Only salebarn I stop at on I-20 is in Eastland TX. I'm betting the cattle company can help you with that also. Their website says they buy cattle in Louisiana.
Eastland is only 500 miles from El Paso so not far enough east.

I'm not even sure if they will do it at Eastland but it is a good place and good people. Cattle from here going to Colorado get unloaded at a place just west of Kansas City that's designed just for that. 1.5 hours was $300 I think. But that may have went up. The trucking companies can answer all those questions as to where and how much. It's possible to haul them straight through if they have 2 drivers. Maybe 1 driver with a toothpick. Lol

Latest posts