Herefords...

Help Support CattleToday:

lakading":3edzhp56 said:
What is your favorite Hereford bull?

Mine or my three. :lol: I like two lines I have had great sucess or luck with. There are two seedstock producers in my area one runs Vindicator/Braxton Giant1 age has gotten to him and I see this resource going away as the kids are turning one of the oldest polled Hereford lines in Texas nearly a 100 years to a black baldy operation, what a crying shame, the other runs Braxton lines.

Edit I have seriously been looking at some Victors as I need some different blood on my heifers, I am moving from the F-1 operation to the F-2 side so my calf crop of the future will be 3/4 hereford 1/4 Brammer.

I liked Feltons 517. We had a couple of very good cows out of him. I also have good memories of Enforcer 107H, probably my all time favorite even though the EPDs are not really good enough for heavy use with today's Herefords.
I have NO direct personal experience with the current hot bulls so really have no favorites there.

The hard part is trying to find old time breeders that are producing a proven line and not chasing the latest Hereford world news bull. I have located several reputable breeders in central Texas. Here comes the problem buying a bull from west and bringing them here they fall a part for a while. Our grass has such a hich moisture content and lower protien value that it knocks them. We have horrible grass to others in the state IMO. We get 60 inches of rain a year which is a problem in itself in what grasses do well here. In a drought of only 30 inches a year you have to dig down till you see a little fellow in a pointy hat and bring moisture from the other side.

its been a few years since i used hereford bulls but i had a couple of glenn debter bulls that i gots some great calves out of and some great F1s momas only got two left full sisters one 15 and 16 years old and still look like young'ns. think it was advance bloodlines. cant remember

All I personally know about Victor Boomer is that he is pg 47 of the 2006 Hereford AI book and he does look good. His sire, Remitall Boomer 46B is page 21 of the March Hereford World and he has a lot of daughters in both shows and production

Can't really say there is one particular bull that is my favorite. Different bulls for different purposes I guess. The Feltons line would have to be the bloodline that I prefer the most. I can't say that I have seen a feltons bred animal that I wouldn't have on the place. The just seem to be very functional cattle. Not show winners, but that's ok by me.

If I have to pick one, it would probably be 517, Mr Felt 3008, or Domino 774. Between these 3 I think they probably have more cattle working today than any other 3 bulls of a similar bloodline. (Did I say that right? Oh well, you get the picture). Well, on second thought, maybe not, there sure is alot of Domino cattle around too.

Sorry, I couldn't narrow it down to just one. :D

Caustic Burno":q0wayhu6 said:
Here comes the problem buying a bull from west and bringing them here they fall a part for a while. Our grass has such a hich moisture content and lower protien value that it knocks them. We have horrible grass to others in the state IMO. We get 60 inches of rain a year which is a problem in itself in what grasses do well here. In a drought of only 30 inches a year you have to dig down till you see a little fellow in a pointy hat and bring moisture from the other side.

Caustic, we have the same problem here. The old timers say the spring flush of grass, when we are getting lots of rain, is "washy". Its hard for a cow to drink enough of that grass to maintain condition.

Not to derail the train here, but I have a question for Cattleguy. I have a brother that lives about 25 miles due west of Cedar Rapids. We come up pheasant hunting every year and we are always trying to figure out exactly what to call the grasses we walk through and what kind of nutritional value they have.

the first is primarily in CRP fields, it only gets about 12 to 18 inches tall and is usually dry by Nov 1.

The other is a canary grass looking plant, it grows more in wetland type areas such as one of the wellfields we hunt. It seems to stay green until well into the winter.

Caustic Burno":29tsju5o said:
I am moving from the F-1 operation to the F-2 side so my calf crop of the future will be 3/4 hereford 1/4 Brammer.

I always thought F2 was from breeding 2 F1s. Breeding them back to one of the parent breeds was a back cross.

dun

dun":36jabpe2 said:
Caustic Burno":36jabpe2 said:
I am moving from the F-1 operation to the F-2 side so my calf crop of the future will be 3/4 hereford 1/4 Brammer.

I always thought F2 was from breeding 2 F1s. Breeding them back to one of the parent breeds was a back cross.

dun
your right dun but caustics got the right idea about the 3/4 Cross being a good market calf

alacattleman":73fno1d4 said:
dun":73fno1d4 said:
Caustic Burno":73fno1d4 said:

dun
your right dun but caustics got the right idea about the 3/4 Cross being a good market calf

Phew, thought I was nuts, again. I agree those calves should do well in a lot of markets.

the best part about the 3/4 cross is they were raised by F1 mommas they got all the good stuff it takes to raise a great calf ;-)

dun":18wfwbv1 said:
Caustic Burno":18wfwbv1 said:

dun

Correct I just couldn't come up with a proper term, half timers is kicking in.

lakading":2nzvwujp said:
What is your favorite Hereford bull?

The type that does the job, easy calving, good attitude, old line bull - does not need grain and cubes to make it on the pasture.

NOT a leggy, new fangled, trophy winning, fat, grain fed, epd rich, polled thing that only looks good after a winter in a pen with too much feed.

Bez!

I like Feltons 517 and LLL Farley 24F. In my opinion, the Farley bull is a good maternal bull. He puts a good udder on a cow! There are others I like very much, but they're local bulls that aren't nationally known.

Someone spoke about the latest fad bulls. Seems that alot of people fall in love with good EPD numbers. I've also heard that there has been a lot of dissappointment in the 606 bull. He has great numbers though!

Latest posts