Herefords...

Help Support CattleToday:

rwtherefords":xud57xhl said:
redfornow":xud57xhl said:
Do you look for MW LLL FARLEY 24F numbers to go up?
Both p606 and 24f both have the same sire and it was about this time that p606 numbers took a big jump.

I like both bulls alot, both are cow makers. And at the end of the day, we need cows. I would just like a little lower BW and a calf that came alittle easier.

MD

If you're asking about Farley's birthweight EPD going up, no I don't expect that at all. Like I said, I've seen enought of his calves from cows I'm familier with to know what to expect. Birth weights of his calves from cattle that are managed around here (the same way I manage my cattle) are normally upper 70's to upper 80's. He's a good maternal bull with balanced EPD's.

Now I'm sure sombody is going to jump my case for talking about this bull. Remember, I'm responding to questions. I'm not saying that he's the greatest bull out there or anthing else. I said, I liked him, but there are other bulls I like as well. He's just one of the more proven bulls (to me) in my area.

Edit: By the way, I've been in the pen with this bull and seen his temperment as well as the temperment of many of his offspring. That was a point I was trying to make when discussing AI'ing a while back. I think knowing the temperment of a bull is very important, regardless of his numbers.
\

Makes perfect since to me. I totally understand Bez not wanting to pic a bull. There is no perfect animal. Not now, not ever. With that said, when you are breed for repacements you need a bull that will make cows. P606 and farley do that.
Real world advice about a animal has its place. But just Like EPD's are just a tool in the box.

MD

redfornow":3cadgpto said:
I totally understand Bez not wanting to pic a bull. There is no perfect animal. Not now, not ever.
MD

Lakading was not asking us to identify the "perfect" bull. That would take a professional committee a month of looking at daughters, pics, EPDs, ultrasound measurements, and performance data. He simply asked for our "favorite" Hereford bull.

redfornow":1k1l7l5d said:
Makes perfect since to me. I totally understand Bez not wanting to pic a bull. There is no perfect animal. Not now, not ever. With that said, when you are breed for repacements you need a bull that will make cows. P606 and farley do that.
Real world advice about a animal has its place. But just Like EPD's are just a tool in the box.

Certainly. But I made no mention of a perfect bull. I asked for people's personal favorite.

I just wanted opinions of a few bulls so that I could then conduct MY OWN DUE DILLIGENCE!

If someone still doesn't want to give an opinion of a specific bull, that is fine by me. I understand their hesitation.

I dont believe that I was replying to lakading, but maybe the quotes were not enough to tip the two of you off.

If you will read rwtherefords and my posts you will notice that we have been talking about two bulls that WE have been using and their effect on our herds.

I respect Bez a great deal, so if this is nothing more than to defend him there is no need as he already has my admiration.

MD

My favorite all time is CL 1 Domino 386. It would be hard to find a bull with as much influence during the last twenty years, except maybe 8020. Semen is still available on both, too, if one wanted to get a really solid base of cows in one or two generations. Breed your 386 daughters to 8020 and vice versa, man, what a great cross. I may have just given myself an idea. :lol:

redfornow":5rntnwhs said:
I dont believe that I was replying to lakading, but maybe the quotes were not enough to tip the two of you off.

If you will read rwtherefords and my posts you will notice that we have been talking about two bulls that WE have been using and their effect on our herds.

I respect Bez a great deal, so if this is nothing more than to defend him there is no need as he already has my admiration.

MD

Bez! needs no defending. I respect his view points and agree with a lot of what he said!

I thought you were implying that I was asking for a perfect bull since you mentioned it right after referring to the fact that Bez! doesn't want to respond to MY original question.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

LOL, me to.

Like I said, before if you are looking for cows, p606 is a cowmaker. I would just like lighter calfs that are not shaped like a five gallon bucket, thats were the CE of 11 or so comes in. lol
I have a friend that pulled a 71lbs calf out of an older cow.
When you are pulling 71 pounders, you got a problem.
Next year I am going to try farley, on a few just to see if he will work for me.

MD

You might get with the AHA field rep.
Some of the finest cattle I have seen has been Vindicator/Victor crosses which is still popular.
The other line I like posted earlier, both are very well proven they have thousnds of progeny in production and not just in the USA, don't know about you but to me that says a lot these lines are preforming around the world.

Caustic Burno":3a9wbc9a said:
You might get with the AHA field rep.
Some of the finest cattle I have seen has been Vindicator/Victor crosses which is still popular.
The other line I like posted earlier, both are very well proven they have thousnds of progeny in production and not just in the USA, don't know about you but to me that says a lot these lines are preforming around the world.

Agreed. I'll look into those lines. Thanks.

Kent":3jsd1ald said:
My favorite all time is CL 1 Domino 386. It would be hard to find a bull with as much influence during the last twenty years, except maybe 8020. Semen is still available on both, too, if one wanted to get a really solid base of cows in one or two generations. Breed your 386 daughters to 8020 and vice versa, man, what a great cross. I may have just given myself an idea. :lol:

I like that 8020 bull to. Good doing cattle ;-)

Wasn't it you that said something about the GK explosion bull?
Those seem to perform good from what I have seen and been told. No personal experience. JHH

JHH":yjv338vv said:
Kent":yjv338vv said:

I like that 8020 bull to. Good doing cattle ;-)

Wasn't it you that said something about the GK explosion bull?
Those seem to perform good from what I have seen and been told. No personal experience. JHH

Yeah, that was probably me. I had some cows from the Univ of Georgia's herd, which was split into 3 "lines", with several cow families in each line. One of the lines was Explosion. They had a bunch of Explosion, Genetic Explosion, and 412T daughters, and I bought some of them bred to Line One bulls. That was a great cross. Not a bad calf in the bunch. I tried to stick close to the GK bulls, but it's gotten too hard to find any quality descendants and Glen Klippenstein is breeding Chianinas now. I'm moving on to Line One bulls or Mark Donald bulls.

Brandonm2":22o52bcn said:
VanC":22o52bcn said:
Caustic Burno":22o52bcn said:
There is an outfit in the Dakotas that run the V/V line for the life of me I can't remember there name.

LaGrand maybe?

LaGrand uses a lot of Boomer. I am not sure what you would technically call their bloodlines, but they look like they have more of a show emphasis. They are NOT running a Victor herd.

http://www.lagrandranch.com/hereford/sireshereford.html

Olsen

I know of a bull that I have AI'd to for 2 years, I have yearlings by him and calves on the ground. I have personaly seen him and his offspring. I have seen his offsping in 6 different states. He sires good calving ease, good growth, good muscle, exellent
thickness,pigment,eye set,soundness,fertility,milk,REA,IMF.His daughters are very fertile, sound, good uddered cows that hold there condition well. His offspring have great disposions, almost
to good, they wont get out of the way. I am in no way atached to this bull, if he didn't perform I would just soon eat him. Am I wrong to recomend him to others or call him my favorite? Not trying to be a smart allic.

I know of a bull that I have AI'd to for 2 years, I have yearlings by him and calves on the ground. I have personaly seen him and his offspring. I have seen his offsping in 6 different states. He sires good calving ease, good growth, good muscle, exellent
thickness,pigment,eye set,soundness,fertility,milk,REA,IMF.His daughters are very fertile, sound, good uddered cows that hold there condition well. His offspring have great disposions, almost
to good, they wont get out of the way. I am in no way atached to this bull, if he didn't perform I would just soon eat him. Am I wrong to recomend him to others or call him my favorite? Not trying to be a smart allic.

I've heard nothing but good about Farley 24F. I believe he's been around longer than P606, so I would agree that his numbers aren't going to change much. I recently received a LLL ad along with the Reed catalog, and at 10 years old, Farley is pasture breeding I believe it was 70 cows per year. Presumably a spring and fall herd.

8020 is legendary.

My real favorites are from between Roff and Sulphur, OK, next door to the old Turner Ranch. Richard Day is still line-breeding the Hazlett/Turner Ranch bloodlines, but has constantly been increasing their performance for a number of years. He has a bull D Rupert Tone 641 that is about 12 and still going strong. He runs about three bulls, but 641 is the senior sire. I used to own a son, Day Rupert Tone 092, and will be using him again this year if all goes as planned. My favorite polled Herefords would be from Flying G Ranch of Sand Springs, OK. Every cow I have has at least Flying G influence. Flying G has a lot of Victor cattle, and quite a few have been sired by OSU bulls.

For the niche grass market, or anyone selling on the grid, I would say Jim Lents Anxiety 4th bulls are best. They along with Day's are the thickest, most muscular bulls with length and depth that I know of.

Latest posts