Herefords - from Drovers

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":1adwpana said:
mnmtranching":1adwpana said:
In Wed feeder sale, big run of calves. A few groups of herefords
sold. 500 weight herefords were fully 100 $ less per head. Than the black angus, reds and Char calves. 130's compared to 100-110.

I don't bash herfords just can't see the price difference. :?:

Why? that big a spread?

Same reason they discount spotted cattle, longhorn cattle, rat tails, brahman. Because they can. If you look at the branded beef programs, the majority have the word "angus" in their name. Plus the fast food restaurants advertise "angus" burgers. Right or wrong, the packer has more marketing opportunities for black cattle than any other "type".

But the Char, white, red calves sell real good. Baldies too.

mnmtranching":1ag9ti4n said:
Frankie":1ag9ti4n said:
mnmtranching":1ag9ti4n said:
sold. 500 weight herefords were fully 100 $ less per head. Than the black angus, reds and Char calves. 130's compared to 100-110.

Why? that big a spread?

Same reason they discount spotted cattle, longhorn cattle, rat tails, brahman. Because they can. If you look at the branded beef programs, the majority have the word "angus" in their name. Plus the fast food restaurants advertise "angus" burgers. Right or wrong, the packer has more marketing opportunities for black cattle than any other "type".

That's true. So it can't just be marketing.

F1 calves do better than purebreds? Wow, this is some ground breaking stuff.

What kind of cutting edge research are they going to do next? Are they going to do a study to see if proper health management benefits your bottom line? How about a study to determine whether homozygous black bulls will sire black calves?

Crossbred calves don't always outperform purebreds.

Proper health management doesn't always have a positive ROI.

It was a sarcastic reply. Sorry I didn't go into enough scientific detail.

SEC":2jf39mle said:
1848":2jf39mle said:
Were the BW's of the calves included in the report?

Why do you ask this question?

Because I wanted to see if the Herefords had the advantage (headstart) of a larger BW. Statistical data has shown 10 lbs at birth can mean a significant advantage at weaning.

mnmtranching":4y4o57f9 said:
Frankie":4y4o57f9 said:
mnmtranching":4y4o57f9 said:

Why? that big a spread?

Key is to take advantage of this market and make it a win/win.

Buy the hereford heifer calves at a low end, breed them to blacks bulls and sell the steers and cull females at the high end as baldies. ;-)

VanC":g230nk0s said:
Ned Jr.":g230nk0s said:
This study makes it sound so good making extra money on them steers and all. Then what are you supposed to do with all them black baldy females? It doesn't even mention that. :roll: :D :p

Sell them or use them. Black baldies have been regarded as one the the best females around for many, many years.

Put a char bull or any other continental bull on them. They produce great money maker terminal calves.

1848":32r09bjm said:
Key is to take advantage of this market and make it a win/win.

Buy the hereford heifer calves at a low end, breed them to blacks bulls and sell the steers and cull females at the high end as baldies. ;-)

That's great for you, but not so great for the guy SELLING the Herefords. :(

novatech":2vzg4gmr said:
VanC":2vzg4gmr said:
Ned Jr.":2vzg4gmr said:
This study makes it sound so good making extra money on them steers and all. Then what are you supposed to do with all them black baldy females? It doesn't even mention that. :roll: :D :p

Sell them or use them. Black baldies have been regarded as one the the best females around for many, many years.

Put a char bull or any other continental bull on them. They produce great money maker terminal calves.

Sounds like some good ideas. For the record I was trying to be sarcastic. :D I know all about black baldy females.

Black baldy steers can go into Certified Angus Beef or Certified Hereford Beef. CHB allows select beef. That gives you a place to go with the select, more opportunities to make money. You don't hear of black baldies getting docked at the sale barn.

Ned Jr.":kex6431p said:

HOW ABOUT FEED THEM OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Frankie":2xpczn2o said:
mnmtranching":2xpczn2o said:

Why? that big a spread?

YES & I THINK ITS CRAP TOO. EVERYTHING BLACK ISNT AND SHOULDNT BE CERTIFIED AS ANGUS BEEF :x DO THEY SELL THE HEREFORD STEAKS CHEAPER AT THE STEAKHOUSE -NOPE.

mnmtranching I don't know why they price the Herefords lower then the others. We have a sale barn to the west of us and another to the east. We get a better price for our Hereford calves at the east barn then the west.
Once the hide is off, can you tell the difference? I mean with no paper work attached to the carcuss. I know I couldn't.

I luv herfrds":37m339gh said:
mnmtranching I don't know why they price the Herefords lower then the others. We have a sale barn to the west of us and another to the east. We get a better price for our Hereford calves at the east barn then the west.
Once the hide is off, can you tell the difference? I mean with no paper work attached to the carcuss. I know I couldn't.

Nope, and I don't believe anyone could. I haven't been able to figure out the price difference.

Rather surprised today at the sale. Our calves were bringing in the same price as the blacks. :shock: :D
Everybodies calves were light this year though.

Latest posts